Thread: Nunivak Muskox Hunt Feb 2008

Default Nunivak Muskox Hunt Feb 2008

I just got back from my muskox hunt on Nunivak Island. It was my first muskox hunt and I learned a lot. Drop me a line and I will be glad to share my experiences and costs. It was a FANTASTC hunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Right on Dude! Nice Ox ya got there. I know I'll be putting in for one this year. Looks like weather was on your side too. Got a good story to go with it?

Hey Rick!!! James here! that was quick,nice picture,had a blast! was a long ride though, huh!!! james whitman > J&J Outfitters!!!

Default Nice photo

Good looking ox, glad you had good weather, its hard to comeby out there. Hey james how is the fox population out there this year without me? LOL

good lookin ox! who was your guide/transporter? im headin there in 8 days, and im goin with James Whitman! what was the extra bagage cost lookin like bringin the animal back?

Hi Rick! just wanted to let ya know, beginning the 2013 season I will be offering guide services out to mekoryuk, just to let you know in case your friends are lookin, you have a good day Rick!!

Ive been puting in for this hunt sice 2002, Maybe 2013 is my lucky year.. 13 is my lucky number

It sure is an awesome expereince. But don't give up even if you don't draw. When I shot mine in March, 2011, I was notified by Fish-n-game in late December that I was an alternate, and a tag owner decided he couldn't afford it. The guy who showed up at Abe's place to hunt right after me had been given notice two weeks before hand.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    It sure is an awesome expereince. But don't give up even if you don't draw. When I shot mine in March, 2011, I was notified by Fish-n-game in late December that I was an alternate, and a tag owner decided he couldn't afford it. The guy who showed up at Abe's place to hunt right after me had been given notice two weeks before hand.
    I am curious, do those Musk Ox stand there in a circle when you approach them, when they feel threatened, like you see them do in photos...or have they learned that it's not a good idea to do that, and run away.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I'd like to have a little notice, as this would be a once in a lifetime thing.. I'm pretty confident it cost around 8-10K by the time your all done with it, Good thing Im a taxidermist, I can save myself a couple G's on a Life size mount..

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I am curious, do those Musk Ox stand there in a circle when you approach them, when they feel threatened, like you see them do in photos...or have they learned that it's not a good idea to do that, and run away.
    My experience is probably different than most or some, but I was able to sneak to within 100 yards without them knowing. Sat for 10 minutes and studied the group of 5 bulls, picked out the one and boom.........................nothing. ***? I knew I hit him. Cycle another 270 grain barnes into the 375 and boom..............this time he drops instantly. Upon skinning, both my shots were lung hits. The first one never moved him, he just kept munching away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I'd like to have a little notice, as this would be a once in a lifetime thing.. I'm pretty confident it cost around 8-10K by the
    time your all done with it, Good thing Im a taxidermist, I can save myself a couple G's on a Life size mount..
    Wow, if you are doing your own taxidermy it will be much cheaper than that. I think is spent

$500 for tag
    $3000 for transporter
    $400 for airfair (bethel to Mekoryuk, air miles ANC to Bethel)
    $400 for bag fees/freight
    $1700 for taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    My experience is probably different than most or some, but I was able to sneak to within 100 yards without them knowing. Sat for 10 minutes and studied the group of 5 bulls, picked out the one and boom.........................nothing. ***? I knew I hit him. Cycle another 270 grain barnes into the 375 and boom..............this time he drops instantly. Upon skinning, both my shots were lung hits. The first one never moved him, he just kept munching away.
    Thanks for the input, nice bull! For anyone out there that has 'not' snuck up on them, and they noticed you and thought you were a threat, just wondering if they stand in a circle to protect themselves, or will they run away.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Im a licensed Taxidermist, Open to the public.. I figured it would be 2-3K on the transporter, 1500 for a flight out their and back.. (i dont have air miles).. I need to figure out how to start collecting them though).. 500 for a tag, another 500 for shipping hide and skull back.. food, grub, probably a new toy to take with.. I hope one of these year I get drawn, would love to do the registration hunt. .but having to destroy the trophy value (cut off horn tips) isnt something I wanna do.. these things have been aorund since the mammoths, so taking 1 in my lifetime would be enough..

Default Nunivak Muskox Hunt Feb 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    i dont have air miles).. I need to figure out how to start collecting them though)
    Alaska airlines visa. Business account. Taxidermy supplies, shipping costs. Tannery costs. You'd be deep in miles.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Alaska airlines visa. Business account. Taxidermy supplies, shipping costs. Tannery costs. You'd be deep in miles.
    I pretty much fly for a living, so I'm in deep. But you'd be amazed at how many miles you can rack up by using the credit cards. All of our utility bills are directly billed to credit card. Gas, groceries, you name it. Great advice on the taxidery supplies.

I bet you could build up two free tickets a year by getting an AK Air credit card.

I pulled the tag the first time trying. I was on the alternates list, so I didn't have much time to prepare. It took three trips to get to Mekoryuk due to weather and the volcano. I did a write up on here with a break down of costs and some tips. I think it's under "Finally got my ox" or something similar.

The herd I got on was real ancy. They didn't see me at first, and I was able to sneak in to about 15 yards. When I was spotted, off they went. I circled way around with the snowmachine and got in position for another stalk. This time as they were headed to me, they spotted me again and split up. I noticed them trying to get back together, so I cut in the middle of the herd and the two mature bulls stood their ground back to back. At that point I walked up to them, about 10 yards away, worked my way around to the larger bull and shot him. The arrow hit the off side shoulder and he hardly reacted to the shot. 15 second later and his nose hit the snow.

If you apply for an get a business card through Alaska Airlines, you'll start out with 25K miles. You will also get an annual $100 companion fare in case you pay regular rate and somebody tags along with you. I've got a personal and business card, and I'm also set up on Easy Biz.

Thanks Jerod, sounds like they are pretty easy to sneak up on. And lucky you for getting the tag first try!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by J&J Outfitters View Post
    Hi Rick! just wanted to let ya know, beginning the 2013 season I will be offering guide services out to mekoryuk, just to let you know in case your friends are lookin, you have a good day Rick!!
    James, Happy to hear your long wait for a full guiding license has finally paid off.

For those of you who drew tags this year, James Whitman, J&J Outfitters, should be one of the first people you call. James has been hunting musk-ox and transporting for decades but there are only a few full guide licenses allowed for the island so he's been waiting for many years for someone to give up their license. The musk-ox in my avatar was taken this past February with the help of Jame's transport services. A musk-ox hunt should be on everyone's wish list, it's one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Thanks for the input, nice bull! For anyone out there that has 'not' snuck up on them, and they noticed you and thought you were a threat, just wondering if they stand in a circle to protect themselves, or will they run away.
    They will initially gather together. Sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. If you don't push them, they will stay that way mostly. You can push them enough to get them to run tho. Especially with a snogo.
    Generally the hardest part of the hunt is getting a clear shot at the bull you want.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!