Thread: Choosing dates for Sitka hunt bases on temps.

Default Choosing dates for Sitka hunt bases on temps.

I am doing a DIY sitka hunt this fall on the extreme southern tip of Kodiak.
    I am wanting to go as early as possible. But trying to pick a date to go where the temps are cool enough to not have an issue with the meat, and I am also only interested in hard horned deer not in velvet. Thank you to all for your help. Darrell

Sounds like late September would be the time to go, based on your criteria.

Default Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Sounds like late September would be the time to go, based on your criteria.
    Thank you Brian. The temps in Sept. are plenty cool enough to not have meat issues??? The last thing I want to do is loose any meat. As this will be my first true DIY where I will have to care for the meat for an extended period of time without refridge/freezer or coolers.

Default Bugs Bears And Brush

If your in the bays hunt the Alpine areas above 1500` stay away from the salmon streams and brushy areas. The Aliulik Penisula will have some good deer, lots of bear and no place hang meat. Consider an electric fence.The bugs will drive you crazy where ever you are

Couple yrs ago I went Aug 27th through sept 5th, and none of the deer we saw or shot had velvet. Also we had no problems with keeping the meat cool. Just had to keep it shaded during the day.

we lost some meat in late oct last year, no where to hang it and rainy rainy the meat in nov was froze though, make sure with the meat you can keep it dry but keep some breeze on it too and it should be fine for a couple
    days in sept. keep in mind everything will still be green in a swallow you up kinda way in some places in sept. check land ownership before go....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212