Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What boat to buy?

Default What boat to buy?

I am from Minnesota and will be moving to Bettles. I want to buy a boat that I can used on the Koyukuk and its tributaries. It will have to be able to haul a reasonable amount of recreational equipment and enable travel in shallow water. What is the best boat/motor combo?

Default Phantom Sport John

Look up the Phantom Sport John. It is a tunnel hull design with an in-board jet driven by a 200 horse motor. Amazing shallow water capabilities carrying excessive payloads. I would love to have one, but out of my price range this year.

Try this link:

http://compeaus.com/phantom.html

Default Thanks for the quick reply.

It is out of my budget also. I have seen its capabilities, but with trailer and needed options its 30k at least.

It would help if you stated what your budget was and how long of a boat you wanted and how big of a motor are you looking for.
    How much weight do you plan on hauling?
    Tennessee

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

the market as of a few years ago was flooded with sport jons in fairbanks. im sure if you looked around you could find one used maybe more in your price range. they also have a 20 ought 6 model that might meet your needs as well. without more specifics its hard to determine what you might need.

Default Boat specs.

In terms of budget, I would like to keep it as low as possible, obviously and I understand that this imposes certain limitations. I am just looking for a boat that would permit general hunting travel up and down the river and its tributaries. For example, moose hunting gear (without an ATV) and a motor big enough to perform reasonably. That is about all I can say about specs.

Default Agreed

He is right. First decide your price range, then decide what you want it to do. I think most would agree that tunnel hull boats run shallower than any other hull design. And there are a variety of manufacturers to choose. One I am really impressed with are the G3 Gator Tough john boats.

Good luck!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

how about looking into this boat on compeus web specials.

http://compeaus.com/_images/_boats/d...MonsterJon.jpg

might want to reasearch the specs on the evinrude since its older or you could use it as a trade in for new power.

Default Thanks

I saw that boat earlier today online. I bought a new 2008 SWT Skandic from them. Here is my question: has anybody here had actual experience on the Koyukuk, John or Alatna rivers with a power boat and can I reasonbaly expect to get a serviceable boat for about 10k?

Quote Originally Posted by Koyukuk View Post
    I am from Minnesota and will be moving to Bettles. I want to buy a boat that I can used on the Koyukuk and its tributaries. It will have to be able to haul a reasonable amount of recreational equipment and enable travel in shallow water. What is the best boat/motor combo?
    If you want to haul weight & run shallow, the Sport Jet & a 6 foot wide bottom should be high on your list.

Are you still in the Minnesota area? If so, where at?

Default Thanks for your advice.

I live in Princeton; about an hour north of Minneapolis. Those sport jons are pricey and hard to find used.

If you look you should be able to find a boat in that price range. I want the sport jon so maybe I will sell my boat. 1995 Alweld tunnel 18ft. 1994 Johnson jet. I also have the prop lower unit w/3 props (2 are SS). Galvanized trailer. I live in North Pole.

Default bettles aint cheap

Gas is going to eat you alive up there. I would be looking for fuel performance that allows me to run shallow. Forget about the boat out there that does it all unless you are independently wealthy, and if that is the case, why Bettles?
    I would talk with the folks you will be working with or living with in Bettles to see what they suggest.
    Been a long time since I flew in, so don't know if the winter road is passable pulling a trailer or not, but can't believe it will be easy. Years ago I knew guys that broke through the ice on the way in. The only other way to get a boat and trailer in there will be on Everts Air Cargo most likely.
    The Alweld line of boats (Boat Shop in Fairbanks) are durable and well built. Might take a look at them coupled with a Johnson injected 2 stroke or perhaps the Honda 4 stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Koyukuk View Post
    I live in Princeton; about an hour north of Minneapolis. Those sport jons are pricey and hard to find used.
    I've a place on the Upper 'Sippi in Monticello.

Most likely, $10K isn't going to get ya a boat to fit your needs. I'd venture a guess, $15K would get you into a used 175 SJ RiverPro 1872 HiPro XT.

The 1872 will not be as roomy as the Sport Jon, but runs shallow & carries a load well. I could do some searching if you like.

I think my boat would get it done and is in the $10K area.

Quote Originally Posted by cool_husker View Post
    I think my boat would get it done and is in the $10K area.
    Good point...Since I have zero knowledge of the area, I'm in no position to be offering advice on what will or will not fit his needs. Sorry 'bout that guyz.

I do however know a bit about shallow running boats, that will carry lotsa weight. I was more or less posting in regards to the Sport Jon recommendations from the others.

I know of a few boats within a few hours of his current location (MN), that may fit his needs.

What do you want for your boat? My plan is to drive it to coldfoot and then take the Koyukuk to Bettles with a bunch of gear.

The ice road is heavily used each year. The village depends on it for large item hauling. I have driven it myself. Sometimes Jim river overflow creates some trouble. Sometimes you would not even know that its an ice road. But my plan is to jet boat from Coldfoot.

Sell it for $10,000 firm

I think we can do business. I just need to know exactly what I am getting for 10K. Can you send pics and specs on motor etc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast