Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear calls

Default Bear calls

There was some interest a couple of weeks ago on where to find the Woods Wise Bear Talker which has the sow in heat and boar calls, I ordered one from a company at HuntmDown.com last Saturday and I got it yesterday on Friday. They are on sale right now for anyone interested for 15.99 with DVD. Hope this might help somebody out. Good huntin...

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

I also ordered this call but I oredered it directly from woods wise. $15.99 with dvd. Havent received it yet but I'll let you know what I think when I get it.

Default Bear Call

I am taking mine on a Spring Brownie hunt, so I hope it gets the brownies all stirred up. I let you know it goes. I spotted a couple of blackies last spring and used the sow call.... it definetly got their attention. Be careful out there!

Theres also a few fellas that make custom bear calls out there too.

I use a Rabbit distress call works great ,Just be ready !!! Stuff happens quick. Might give that one a try.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

That site was really cool.

They listed some of the bear attractants as not being bait. I am going to presume that these are considered bait in Alaska but will research further as they had some stuff I would definately like to use especially if I dont have register a bait station to do so.

I would like to try one of those calls for brown bear.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I ordered the bear blaster and a couple of the scents. I have a buddy who does a bait station so he'll be able to use the scents. I wonder how I can trick him into using the twelve miles of dead fish!!

Default natures

perfect bait pile...lol
    Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.

I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse. I got the Woodwise Bear Talker, and the Cub in distress call. I called in a Grizzly sow with two cubs last fall, worked too good in my openion. She kept me treeded for several hours. I was using the sow call.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

By the way, I have a proposal in to the game board to allow the use of scent lures while floating, and near camp at night, (like across the river), then taking all scent with you the next morning, leaving no scent lure in the woods. Without having to get a Bear Baiting permit. The Fairbanks A/C supports this proposal.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

try using a deer bleat. I've had them come to them,also stpos them and keeps their interest so you can judge them if they are traveling.

I used a rabbit distress call... Got myself in a jam with that one. Had bears all around me. When it got dark I had to walk back to my truck. Ran into several on the way out. Some came cautiously and others came in with a purpose.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Red face Looks good to me

Checked out the DVD last night and this looks like it'll be my ticket for the upcoming season. Thanks for the heads up Hat squeeze............

Yes. Thanks for sharing Hatfield.

Watchyerbackside!

I've called them in with deer calls and fox calls. And they come in with attitude. Problem is, you don't know which way they'll be coming, and you won't know the details of what answered the call till it's too late. Have your plans figured out on how to deal with a sow and cubs or a mangey rubbed out boar. You're hunt's over when they show up, cuzz they aren't leaving.

moose calf call works so well I won't use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    By the way, I have a proposal in to the game board to allow the use of scent lures while floating, and near camp at night, (like across the river), then taking all scent with you the next morning, leaving no scent lure in the woods. Without having to get a Bear Baiting permit. The Fairbanks A/C supports this proposal.
    I went in and spoke with F&G last summer about using "lures" as apposed to "bait" for some local griz. They had absolutely no problems with that. He said something to the effect of: anything they can consume would be bait, but scents are no different than calls, you are appealing to their nose instead of their ears.
    Early season, I plan on using some scent lures, and I'll wait until late season to start the calls. cdrandy, I'm gonna take you up on that. All I have right now is a squealing rabbit, and its been kinda unproductive, but I've got limited experience as well.
    Good luck this guys guys!

I have a funny story about 2 guys I know and there fall Kodiak Brown Bear hunt. I'll not tell the whole story but the jist of it is that they spotted a big bear that had walked up into some thick alders and layed down for a nap. They stalked to within 70 yards or so from a decent vantage and waited him out. He never did get up and they were becoming impatient as the hours went by. One of them had a predator call in his pack and decided to give it a whirl. The wind was blowing as it often does on Kodiak so after blowing on the call twice and the bear not reacting to it, they decide that they arent blowing it hard enough. The third time hunter A (we'll call him) lets her rip with everything he's got and lets just say it worked. The bear not only got up but he got up and began to run directly in their direction and they didn't have a shot until he was closing in on 40 yards at a dead run. The lead began flying and the bear ran off into the alders. You can imagine the look on their faces as this all happened in seconds. They found the bear not too far away and the moral of the story is that you better be ready when you blow a bear call, cuz if he/she comes , he/she might come awful fast and if its not from a direction that allows you to see him he might suprise the chit out of you. I dont believe bears are as smart as some of the canine predators simply because their curiousity an lack of fear of other animals threatening them allows them to come check just about anything out if the idea even sounds remotely good to them. So anything that sounds hurt/sick bad I think will get their attention.

QUOTE=Northern;231986]I went in and spoke with F&G last summer about using "lures" as apposed to "bait" for some local griz. They had absolutely no problems with that. He said something to the effect of: anything they can consume would be bait, but scents are no different than calls, you are appealing to their nose instead of their ears.
    Early season, I plan on using some scent lures, and I'll wait until late season to start the calls. cdrandy, I'm gonna take you up on that. All I have right now is a squealing rabbit, and its been kinda unproductive, but I've got limited experience as well.
    Good luck this guys guys![/QUOTE]

Which office was this at?

Fairbanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast