Thread: Eggs For Kings Etc

Default Eggs For Kings Etc

As part of a constant ongoing argument that a friend and I have year over year over year - we figured we'd receive more input for this board.

The Questions are simple

#1) Which Cured Eggs are best for Catching King Salmon? - King, Red, Silver, Chum, Pink ( assume all a cured equally as well)

and depending upon this answer - WHY?

#2) Why do Kings actually strike the eggs? Proven Science only if its available, if not, then just state your Opinion and note as such

We are both interested in seeing what others have to say.

I dont know what you are trying to ask.

Are you asking if red salmon eggs catch kings better than silver eggs? Or are you asking if single eggs work better than roe? Or are you asking which curing solution on eggs works best?

Default Up to you

Definately I'm talking about Cured Roe - from any of the 5 species of Salmon - as it pertains to catching Kings - As a Whole...not from any particular recipe.

However - I have used the standard "Redd Hott Double stuff" for years...so perhaps - i should stipulate that whatever "Recipe" you are using - apply that to the question.

I use the same equipment and bait for Kings as I do Silvers. My favorite is red salmon roe cued with sugar and salt which I place on a treble hook and let soak.

I have never had any luck with borax cured eggs or store bought roe.

I agree with Coho or Sockeye eggs. Chum and King eggs are too big (the individual eggs) to manage well. Forget about pinks. I started using Pro-cure this year and was very pleased with the results. The eggs "milked" very well and were firm enough to stay on the hook even through those "just another 15' more" casts. Most importantly, they caught fish!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up Fresh eggs

Fresh eggs are the best cured up in salt and sugar. Both King & Sockeye eggs produced really well for me this year on the Ayakulik River. Freshly cured roe out produced the fly guys 10 to 1. I don't think it really matters what species of fish you get the eggs from. However, I prefer to take from hatchery fish when ever possible.

In my opinion salmon do not strike bait in fresh water as if they are feeding. It is mostly a territorial attack on eggs. Both Silvers and Kings will try to destroy eggs. As for cures, I have used Pro-Cure for many years and had really good results. I have also used Borax but I don't think it is near as effective. I have to agree totally with the other posts as for using eggs from silvers or reds as bait. They are more managable and stay better on the hook than King eggs do. Pink eggs tend to be too small. As for which work better, in my experience eggs are eggs, cure makes the difference. If you are using Pro-Cure I would suggest allowing them to soak at least over night in the solution before laying them out to dry. I would also make sure that you keep them covered and out of the sun. This way they don't get cooked and they end up more tacky when they are done. On another note I would like to add that if you are soaking eggs and not catching many fish but you beleive they are there, use a sliding bobber and drift the eggs. Its a much more natural presentation and will produce alot more strikes.

Default They Bite And Swallow Them Sometimes

[QUOTE=AKBighorn]In my opinion salmon do not strike bait in fresh water as if they are feeding. It is mostly a territorial attack on eggs. Both Silvers and Kings will try to destroy eggs.

In theory this is true. The problem is they often swallow the entire thing. I have discussed this topic over the years like many have and this is my conclusion: Fish have been eating their entire lives, it's an instinct that they may not be able to turn off.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Kings eat eggs

It's been my experience this past June fishing several small rivers that Kings do eat eggs like there candy. I agree with Wilddog the fish will swallow if given the chance. It's the smell of the eggs that elicits a feeding response. I was fishing a hole with fifty or so Kings. Landed two on spinners before the bite shut off. Switched over to eggs, and hooked up on virtually every other cast. Had a Jack slam my bait right next to the bank as I was completing my drift. Fish were still biting when I had to leave.

Default no answers but more Q's?

I have pondered this issue of why salmon, kings in particular will hit eggs for years. After reading wildog's comment that "Fish have been eating their entire lives, it's an instinct that they may not be able to turn off," I thought that was just about one of the best possibilities I have heard so far but then this thought occurred to me. Salmon don't eat eggs while in the ocean, so why then would they have the instinctual propensity to do so in the river?

I believe that their inabilty to completely turn off their "instinct" to strike could very well describe why they hit plugs and especially plugs wrapped with sardines.

Furthermore, to my knowledge they don't actively (or ever?) feed on redds, do they? If not, why should they hit free floating eggs?

As for which species of eggs work best for bait, isn't there at least one Kenai guide in here who can comment on this? Just once try to find king eggs for sale in Soldotna in July and you will get laughed right out of town. The guides down there have deals with the commercial processors for every last egg from every last skein from every last king that comes in from the commercial nets long before I ever get a chance to buy any at Fred Meyer or Trustworthy Hardware.

Default They were once smolts...

[QUOTE=Mulchatna] but then this thought occurred to me. Salmon don't eat eggs while in the ocean, so why then would they have the instinctual propensity to do so in the river?

Mulchatna,
    You are forgetting that those huge salmon were once young smolts that began their life probably eating salmon eggs in the river when available.

Here's another theory to chew on...

Earlier this year, I attended a salmon fishing seminar at the Sportsmen's Show in Anchorage. The presenter mentioned that roe is irresistable to migrating fish because they are compelled to "rescue" the free-floating eggs from harm. After grabbing the bait, he observed salmon nosing the stream's gravel bottom in an attempt to bury the wayward roe.

To my surprise, quite a few audience members agreed that this is the motivation which triggers the salmon's instinctual behavior to bite eggs.

Hadn't heard this hypothesis before, but found it rather intriguing. All I know is eggs catch a lot of fish.

Default Kind And Gentle Salmon

[QUOTE=Tomcat]Here's another theory to chew on...

The presenter mentioned that roe is irresistable to migrating fish because they are compelled to "rescue" the free-floating eggs from harm. After grabbing the bait, he observed salmon nosing the stream's gravel bottom...

YEAH, PROBABLY LOOKING FOR MORE TO EAT

i have heard the same thing about the eggs. it is more protection than eating. think about when you do hook a king with eggs, they haven't really swallowed the eggs. but a rainbow, steelhead or dollie will inhale the eggs.