Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Its hard, aint it hard, to Concealed Carry, Huhn??

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Its hard, aint it hard, to Concealed Carry, Huhn??

To all the Sneekie Ones, who CC, May You Prosper:

Back on that thread with the Poll, on How often how often do you carry a concealed handgun for personal defense? I said that I carry most of the time (more than 60% of the time).

I wasnt lyin, but I wanna say that doing so is a PITArse. Its been really hard for me to keep one concealed, and my CC goons are not big either.

I have tried different types of holsters, but I mostly use a hip holster, and I usually need my suspenders to keep my britches up, so the holstered goon stays up, and stays concealed. I have to be constantly aware of it, and where I am with it, and sorta plan in advance to carry or not to carry, or to remove, or whatever.

I thought maybe, I could ask how other pistol packin peoples, deal with this problem, or if they even consider it a problem?

For example, I hear a lot of people recommend an IWB holster. If that really means what I think it does, (Inside Waist Band), this is amazing to me, because those dont work for me at all. The pants that are too big, the goon restricting my movement when I bend over, or the beeg lump when I sit down.

Ive never tried a shoulder holster, because Im thinking it would be hard to hide the straps.

A pocket holster, or just a carrying in a pocket is fine if the goon isnt so heavy it weighs down my pocket, and makes it notable.

It just seems there is no good answer, but maybe Im muddling along without the benefit of advice I can get from someone out there. You know who you are, so if you can help me with this, Id certainly appreciate it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty,

During the summer, I wear a Galco two-gun Miami rig in dark brown leather. Wonderful quality. I carry a pair of Colt .45's. As of yet, no-one has made me that I know of. I wear a light jacket over the rig.

I have a jacket made by Al Mar called the Tac-Jak, that has pockets inside, with zippers, and velcro to secure a thick nylon pad that holds my Glock. On one side is the gat, on the other spare mags to balance.

If I am going somewhere warm, I carry my heater in waist bag. I've never had a sheep even glance at me. A couple of cops have over the past 15 years, but only a glance.

If I am going someplace fancy and need a dress jacket, I carry a Beretta Tomcat .22LR in the inside pocket. Invisible.

I also always have a Spyderco Military Model inside my waist, just to the right of the fly. With any type of non-tucked in shirt, it too is invisible.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

S&W compact 38 special or a Kel-Tec 380 AT will fit in your pocket right along with your wallet.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Hey Smitty, I think you seriously overestimate the mental capacity of the generally population.and their powers of observation. after all, nearly half are registered Democrats. Need I say more? Ok.seriously now, I carry a full size Ruger Vaquero with 4 5/8 barrel in a strong side Bianchi belt holster. I am a full sized guy at 6 foot 1 and 220 lbs and all the shirts I buy are 2 x lg Tall and in the summer I just wear a button up shirt, untucked and unbuttoned. In the winter my dress jacket or Carhart jacket cover just as well. Dont know if I have ever been made carrying, and dont especially care either. Several times I have had the wind blow my shirt open enough to expose the rig, and I am sure when I dig my wallet out that I probably expose all or part of the holster but nobody has ever said anything to me about it?? But then again.who is going to hassle the big guy with the gun?!! And it aint exactly like I am walking down Hollywood Blvdthis is Anchorage after all, and guys wearing guns just aint that uncommon. Heck, I've gone packing with just the button up shirt as cover, to the bank, post office, grocery store, just about everywhere except of course a school and never had any issues. So get yourself a long fat boy shirt like I wear and get to packin! Nobody will ever notice.
    Youve gotten soft. Youre like one of those police dogs whos released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something. Bill McNeal of News Radio

I sometimes carry my Ruger SP101 in a pocket holster. It's a bit large for it, though, and the handle will show if I'm wearing pants with pockets that are too small. If the weather's cool enough to wear a coat I will sometimes carry the same gun in the same holster inside my coat pocket. It's comfortable that way, but I have to keep my coat on my person all the time.

I'd be interested to see pics of all of your setups, how you conceal with what type of holster and how it looks the way you normally carry...

Default Good topic

I think the weather and your activity have the largest impact on your CC rig. Winter in AK is easy. You could probably wear a full LE duty rig under a typical winter coat. My winter rig is a Blackhawk "Check Six" leather belt slide filled with full size Glock 22, though the holster is a Glock 23 size (1/2" shorter on the muzzle end). The extra length of the 22 just sticks through the end opening of the holster. You can see it here:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4207&C=C0894

I wear it over my right back pocket with the pistol grip near my right kidney. The bulk of the gun is within the small of your back, so it disappears under even a light jacket. I usually wear a heavy leather jacket that's long enough that the gun isn't exposed even when I bend down. Leather is stiff enough that a gun won't "print". There's even enough jacket that the gun isn't flashed when I go for my wallet, though there's a bit of technique involved in that also. The downside is that getting the gun out takes a little more effort and is a skill that must be practiced often.

This holster is pretty cozy for routine daily stuff, but isn't great for active outdoor sports. So, for winter play, like snowmachining, I go back to a standard LE duty style belt holster. I'm not nearly as concerned about being fully concealed, though the winter coat still covers it up. I use a standard Bianchi Accumold Defender, which you can see here:

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...NP162&cat=2958

As long as you wear a jacket that will cover it up, most compact or sub-compact guns can be worn in a typical strong side belt holster very easily. Choosing the over garment is just as important as picking the holster and carry location. I would avoid the "Hollywood" carry (shoulder rig) whenever possible. Looks cool on TV, but is unsafe and impractical in most real life applications.

Most IWB rigs are designed for small of back or posterior hip carry, so they are similar to many pancake style rigs. They just place the holster inside of your pants instead of on the outside. The only real advantage to this is warmer weather when you're wearing a shirt over the gun instead of a jacket. The draw from this position becomes even more complicated, so it needs lots of practice. Note that most of the IWB carry methods take some effort to get the gun put away, so reholstering is more complicated and potentially more hazardous than getting the gun out.

Being that I like my Levi 501 blue jeans, I don't use the pocket carry method. I've seen some very effective pocket pistol setups if you wear other types of pants, such as BDU-style or your good old khakis (pants or shorts). A small revolver can be dropped into the front pocket and will disappear. The draw is amazingly fast as you can just be standing there like a dumb tourist with your hands in your pockets. If you choose a small auto, you should get a purpose-built pocket holster to hold the gun in position and also protect you from a pocket discharge that wouldn't be pretty at all.

When the moment of action arrives, you already have a shooting grip on the gun inside your pocket and you simply pull your hand out of your pocket and shoot. With a belt-rig, you've got to get the jacket out of the way, find the gun, get a grip, draw and get the gun out from under all the clothing. It takes longer and it is very obvious what you're doing, so if the bad guy is already pointing his gun at you, he's got the upper hand. With the pocket method, you can calmly fake that you're pulling your wallet out and he won't know what's going on until hot lead enters his chest... then he still won't know what's going on until he's answering to satan (or anti-deity of choice) for his lifestyle.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I sometimes carry my Ruger SP101 in a pocket holster.......
    My favorite carry weapon is my SP101 in 2.5". I don't use a holster. Never had one for that weapon. I manufactured a "clip" like the Barami Hip Grip, but it's stainless steel and attaches under a Hogue grip.

I rarely carry outside of the woods. I figure if I need to carry outside of my car within society, I'm just not going to go there.

Default Have you tried Blade Tech IWB

JOAT,

I saw your comments about the IWB holsters also saw you are familiar with Blackhawk. Have you tried a Blade Tech IWB? I've been seriously considering getting one for greater concealment, and when I tested one while in an Anchorage store, I was pleased with the comfort. I tried sitting, drawing, holstering, and other movements, and while it wasn't quite as comfortable as a holster outside the pants (like the CQC Check-six), I was surprised it wasn't far behind. If outfitted with the snap loops, it's easy to put on and off, and it seemed plenty secure for drawing.

The Blade Tech pancake holster seemed comfortable too, but it was a pain in the rear to remove. That's good for keeping the holster in place when drawing, but not as good when I get home.

I thought an IWB holsters would be seriously uncomfortable. I heard rave reviews about the COMPTAC CTAC, which I eventually ordered. It was ok, but shifted all over the place. The holster was easy to remove though. Later I tried the Crossbreed IWB Supertuck. I really like this holster. It's comfortable, stays in place, and conceals well. The downside the holster was not comfortable at first, but after a few weeks the leather molded to my hip and become very comfortable. Take a peak... This holster has made cc much easier for me.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    I saw your comments about the IWB holsters also saw you are familiar with Blackhawk. Have you tried a Blade Tech IWB?
    No, I haven't tried that one. The only IWB holster I have is a simple pants clip style with a neoprene sleeve. I found it rather uncomfortable, very difficult to reholster, and holds the gun at the wrong angle.

I do like the look of some of the newer IWB holsters, especially those that use a rigid holster structure that allow you to reholster one-handed. I've seen them demonstrated in training videos and they look pretty good, but I've yet to get ahold of one.

The market of CCW holsters seems to be expanding daily, so it's hard to keep up with all the new holster concepts. There are a lot of options out there.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Nitroman:
    Yeah, a Beretta Tomcat .22LR is my pocket gun, and its pretty easy to conceal, but not very powerful, of course.

AlleninAlaska:
    I dont do snub-nosed revolvers, but the Keltec might work for me.

Alangaq:
    Youre probably right. Like I think youre saying, Most people arent looking too closely anyway. Some dont expect it, and others dont care.

Wolfeye:
    Ive seen the clip, and a friend of mine got one, but I dunno if it would be secure enough for my own comfort.

JOAT:
    I have a pancake type holster for my Walther PPK, and its probably the easiest to conceal, of all my options so far. Its hard to take on and off, and I still worry about it getting too low. A lot of my shirts, vests, and jackets are size Tall, but its because Im long Waisted, so I guess that advantage is Wasted.

Im having another holster modified to add a thumb snap, that might be OK, Ill have to see how that works out.

The other good option for a more adequate CC goon is my S&W J Frame 38 Special with a 3 inch barrel. I had a holster made with a particular design, so I could carry it when Im in the woods, but surprisingly, it works well as CC also, but again, my need to keep it UP, under my outer clothing, and close into my back.

Ive got some things to cogitate on. Thanks to all
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default It's a compromise

Like everything else, you compromise. I'd like to drive a Hummer and have yugo economy, Aint gonna happen. I carry a smith 642 snub in a Mica pocket and it's well concealed, usually in my parka or jacket pocket, if necessary the hammerless 640 can be fired without removing from the pocket. It's small & light, but only 5 shots of 38+. In my pants pocket, I think it shows but then I'm looking for it. If I want big stopping power, I gotta go to a holster rig and concealed isn't as easy, or may not be possible, but if I'm packing a 44 with a 6 in Bl, I really don't care who knows.
    We, I mean you and I, look for CC because we are aware, I don't think the average Joe thinks like us and unless you have a definate outline, they won't notice, and if they do, they will probably stay clear.

Talking Pics anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I'd be interested to see pics of all of your setups, how you conceal with what type of holster and how it looks the way you normally carry...
    Ditto... pics from anyone who's willing to share their prefered carry method would be awesome.

This is what I carry, so I dont have any of the above concerns. First is a 25 auto browning the other is a taurus titanium 41mag in my jacket inside pocket.
    Last edited by RMiller; 04-08-2008 at 13:29.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Wow I guess you wouldn't have any troubles with a rig that small!! Flashin the CC in wal-mart?? J/K, saw the bag in the background!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Taurus 5 shot, 45 Colt, 2" barrel, Stainless (T.P.O.C.) in a Bianchi 7/7L Med Frame 2-2 1/2 Rev.

Ruger Vaquero, 45 Colt, 4 5/8" barrel, Stainless in a Bianchi #1L "Lawman" Large SA

$10 Bill for size Ref.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Youve gotten soft. Youre like one of those police dogs whos released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something. Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Hey Smitty, I think you seriously overestimate the mental capacity of the generally population.and their powers of observation. after all, nearly half are registered Democrats. Need I say more? Ok.seriously now,
    I agree. Alot of people are in their own little world and not really paying attention to the world or surroundings around them. I have only seen one person ever flash his weapon and it wasn't even his fault. He was outside in a parking lot and the wind blew his jacket open. I look for someone flashing or silhouetting. I carry a S&W 910 and no one has ever said anything to me about seeing it, so to me, no one has seen it. I would recommend getting a good quality belt. I had a cheap Wal-Mart belt and it didn't last very long. The leather from the holster rubbed it nearly in half. Now I have a heavy leather, maybe 3/16" carhartt belt. I hope you find something comfortable that works.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

wearing the vaquero in all photo's

couple more with the Vaquero

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast