Thread: Sail Kits

Default Sail Kits

Has anyone used a sail kit for canoes. I've looked at a few different manufacturers online and find them interesting, but am not sure how useful they really are. My concern would be that if there is enough wind to sail, it is likely going to be too rough to be comfortable in a canoe. However, there have been a few days on Hidden Lake or Kenai Lake where the sail kit seems like it could be fun and speed you up a bit.

Anyone have first hand experience with canoe sail kits?

Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    Has anyone used a sail kit for canoes. I've looked at a few different manufacturers online and find them interesting, but am not sure how useful they really are. My concern would be that if there is enough wind to sail, it is likely going to be too rough to be comfortable in a canoe. However, there have been a few days on Hidden Lake or Kenai Lake where the sail kit seems like it could be fun and speed you up a bit.

Anyone have first hand experience with canoe sail kits?

Hiker
    Used to have a folbot with sail kit--very stable, very fast and fun. Kit has side boards for tacking.

For canoe tripping we carry a parafoil kite. Have used a one line kite, but a dual line would be better. When my son was young, he would fly the kite and I would tiller. We passed canoes with 3 paddlers. You need an essentially following wind with the kite. We have also used two canoe paddles or sticks to support a poncho-held in place by the bow man-gives a great assist in a following wind.
    NRA Lifetime Member