Thread: Tent for August caribou hunt for 40 mile herd

Default Tent for August caribou hunt for 40 mile herd

We will be hunting the 40 mile herd for caribou the last week in August. We are going to be flown in and dropped off, so weight is an option. There will be 3 of us hunting.

What brand, style of tent should I get? I most likely will not use it very often if ever again. Also should I get a bivy sack as well?

Lastly, should be go with a 4 man tent and a tarp or two tents? I do not believe we will need a stove.

Your thoughts please.

Thank you for your help.

If you really don't think that you'll use it again, I'd consider renting a tent. There's little sense in buying one, as you lose a lot of the resale value right away.

As for tent specifics, I would go with two two-man tents. Smaller tents tend to handle the wind better and are easier to pack in a small airplane. A bivy sack shouldn't be necessary unless you're planning on heading far away from camp.

I have a Eureka Pinnacle Pass 3 man tent that I picked up off of Ebay that works great for that country that time of year. I only paid 100 bucks for it. Three guys can actually sleep in it comfortably and it has two doors and two small vestibules. Plus, it's light.

Thumbs up Kelty if you need bang for the buck...

My buddy used a Kelty Gunnison on a few float trips in NW Alaska. He seemed real pleased with it. It sits pretty low and is rather wind resistant. The 4 person model would be big enough for three and weighs 8 lbs. Not too bad at all for a tent at this price. It certainly is a good value. The rain fly on my buddys worked well and has staved off 30 mph winds and heavy rain on two trips in NW Alaska and one in SW Alaska. This is bang for the buck, pure and simple. It would make a nice family camping tent for one of you guys after the trip. For $60 per person, I don't know how you could go wrong. I had a Kelty Dome 6 and used it on one trip in NW Alaska. I was very impressed with it. Very roomy and like the other model I am telling you about here, it is extremely easy to put up and sturdy. The Kelty Trail Dome 6 is much roomier. It is only $200. Both are available on Campmor (great outdoor store). Take a look here...

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

Cabelas xpg 4-man 4 season tent is on sale for $220. I bought it a couple weeks ago but havent tried it yet, so i cant report on my personal experience with it, but all the reviews for it on cabelas web page were good. I plan on useing it this summer and probably for my float hunt in Sept.

I've hunted the 40 mile country a couple times. Last year did a super cub drop hunt with Leif and Randy. I would look at the MSR Mutha Hubba, nice and lite and has room under the fly to store gear on both ends. You might get a few cool morning so no on the heater. Bring a tent with a net, face bug net and plenty of bug spray. Black Fly country for sure and lots of bears, so watch out. If you are doing the cub thing they don't count your rifle and ammo, stuff everything heavy you have into your boot tops, jacket pockets ect... that weight don't count as part of the 50. Take a couple tarps to cook under and to hang out under if you get bad weather. Cook and keep all food away from your tent, don't forget those bloody hunting clothes you have after you kill your caribou keep them away as well. I would take a light weight bear fence. I saw 9 different bears in as many days. 40 mile will put you on a great hunt. Have fun..

Steve