Thread: cameras

Default cameras

Hi guys I am going to be heading off soon for my 3rd moose hunt & am looking to buy a decent camera any reccomendations as far as model & type ? seems like so many choices if I can get a little help might help a bit.
    thanks jeff

Default canon

I use a canon powershot A520 and haven't had any problems yet plus it's real easy to use. I would suggest a memory upgrade especially for a hunting or fishing trip so you can take lots of pictures. I think it cost me about $200? or about there and it's got 4.0 megapixels.........good luck

Default Digital?

I'm assuming you are looking for a digital and not film based. Last year I picked up a Coolpix by Nikon. I don't remember exactly which model and I don't have it in front of me but it is a 5.1 megapixel and we love it! It is small/compact, has a decent optical zoom supplemented by a good digital zoom. Very easy to operate and will also take short video clips. Battery life is very good too. I have taken it on a couple of multiple day outings where we took 30-40 photos and never had to charge it. Only downfall is that it is not water proof.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Get a Nikon CoolPix L3 5.1 Megapixels and good zoom. They just lowered the price to $179 too! Sweet camera!

Default upgrade memory card

i bought a 2 gig scandisk sd card for my camera from circuit city. i bought it online and paid $84 for it shipped to my home. i thought that was a good deal. i also have been looking into waterproof bags. i found a site (and lost it) that had really nice waterproof camera bags plan to have one of them for my moose hunt. i have already fogged the camera up real good in wet weather. takes a long time to dry out.

Default Canon PowerShot A530..

I just bought a Canon PowerShot A530 and love it. I bought it over the Nikon coolpix because it still has the manual view eyelit(as opposed to only using the lcd screen, which uses up batteries). Lots of features too. 200+whatever for a memory card. 5.1mp, 4x Optical zoom.

Default If you want/need waterproof...

I purchased on Olympus Stylus 720SW for an upcoming Dall BP hunt. It is compact, light weight (~5.5oz), shockproof and most importantly waterproof to a claimed 10ft. Took it white-water rafting and on numerous training hikes thus far. Not cheap and only 3x zoom - but a big LCD display, lots of macro settings, easy to use and takes very nice landscape shots (greens/browns). And...did I mention that it is waterproof?

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1225

I have had an Olympus weather proof camera for a few years too. Light, works great and I'm not afraid to use it in any weather conditions.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

It depends on whether you want a point & shoot or you want a consumer, prosumer or professional SLR where you can change lenses, have no shutter delay, significantly larger buffers, and you get much better detail in the shadows and highlights not to mention control. The downside is that they are more expensive but the pictures are significantly better especially if you plan to make large prints or do any post production. I can't help you on the point & shoot, but on the professional side, I would only go with either Canon or Nikon, who together have close to 100% market share on the high end.

Consumer
    -Nikon D50

Prosumer
    -Nikon D200
    -Canon 5D

Professional
    -Nikon D2Xs
    -Canon 1Ds

If you want to know how the photos look taken by a specific camera, go to www.pbase.com and enter the brand name and model of the camera you plan to purchase and a whole bunch of pictures taken by that camera will pop up. You can see my work either at www.pbase.com/acena or at www.shaleridge.net. All mine were taken with Nikon gear and I shoots sports for a living..

Default Camera

To follow on what Alex had to say if you are looking for more professional images another one to consider and is now on the less expensive side of the Nikon professionals is the D100. I have had one for years now and I love it, I am not a professional and only take photos for my own use and this thing takes awesome pictures.

I will say though it can be a bit on the bulky side especially for a pack hunt but it is something you would not regret carrying once it came down to taking great pictures. Being able to change lenses for the many different landscapes available in Alaska is the big plus.

Doug

Thanks guys & Alex I always enjoy your links & pictures! One thing Alex mentioned was shutter delay & I forgot how much I hate that w/digital cameras price is an issue but I dont mind spendy for something I can get good use out of. Are the any point & shoot type with out the delay or do I need to move up in cameras ? thanks

Default Digital delay

From what I was told, the delay with digital cameras has a lot to do with the type/quality of the card you are using. Have you noticed that there is a vast difference in prices of a 1GB card for example? I was told it has to do with the recording speed. The higher priced cards don't have near the delay of the inexpensive cards.

Again it boils down to $$.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Waterproof Pentax........

I had a Pentax Optio when they first came out

Took some GREAT pictures with it

When they came out with the waterproof model I bought one of those too and I can vouch that it IS waterproof.........took it snorkeling in Hawaii......

Now they have a NEW waterproof model the Optio W10...... I have one for work and I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Main difference I see is the bigger screen and it boasts a .05 shutter lag.......

If mainly you want it for grip and grin dead animal pics and some scenery I'd maybe look around and see if you can get the "older" model....... it should be drastically discounted by now.....

Whatever you buy check for the best price on Froogle.com

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud
    From what I was told, the delay with digital cameras has a lot to do with the type/quality of the card you are using. Have you noticed that there is a vast difference in prices of a 1GB card for example? I was told it has to do with the recording speed. The higher priced cards don't have near the delay of the inexpensive cards.

Again it boils down to $$.
    The shutter delay has absolutely nothing to do with the card and everything to do with the camera since the image initialy is stored in the camera's buffer then written to the card. If you purchase a DSLR, you do not have to worry about the shutter delay at all. If you purchase a point & shoot, you will have to worry about it with most models though there are a few that do not have this delay.

If cost is an issue, you can purchase a used DSLR. There are quite a few nice ones on the market since most professional photographers now replace their cameras every 18-24 months. In fact, you can go to www.cameta.com and get a factory demo complete with a one year warranty. More expensive than a used but less than a new camera.

Default Digital Video Camcorder

Great Little Video Cam. And The Great Thing About It Also Takes Digital Pictures. Bringing It Sheep Hunting This Year Hope To Video My Parnter Taking The Shot Of A Life Time ( Panasonic Pv-gs32)

Default If you want a Decent Camera...

Then go with an SLR, or DSLR, there's still nothing wrong with film, if you purchase the best film for your needs & get quality printing done...with that said, you could save yourself bundles of money & Get lot's of excellent pictures with a Canon GII, some fuji velvia 100 print film, & that's if you aren't going to use it alot, you will save yourself in the long run...however, if you find you will be using the camera alot, go with digital, as the savings on film & processing alone will save you enough to pay for a nice inexpensive point & shoot in the long run...get a nice Rebel XT, as I own one, & it's da bomb! I have a 200mm lens from my old GII days & it works on my XT...you will spend some money on the XT, but it's worth it if your an avid photographer like me...

Cheers! & Good luck...