Thread: Avalanche Danger

Exclamation Avalanche Danger

Authorities that are responsible for both Hatcher Pass and Turnagain Pass are reporting severe avalanche danger this weekend. The Daily News has this story explaining the overall conditions. You can always get up-to-date reports on Turnagain Pass and the Kenai Mountains from this National Forest Service avalanche forecast site.

Be careful this weekend, fellas. I made a run up on Highland Road in Eagle River tonight after work. It was fine up there, but that's because I skied a line that is usually windswept - the snow was only about a foot deep and was bonded to the ground. Deeper snow has a lot of weak layers in it right now, and it's just not worth the risk if you aren't trained in avalanche safety.

Travel with a partner, carry a beacon, shovel, and a probe, and avoid danger zones such as roll-overs and gullies. Scary stuff this weekend - be wise.

They just reported an avalanche in Turnagain pass. Authorities are responding at this time. Updates to come, stay tuned.....
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Yep, I just heard that on the KTUU news site.