Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Alaska Res. can do this next year.

Default All Alaska Res. can do this next year.

Had a Tier II Ox tag to fill. Monday was a good day. Weather was right, had a report of Ox close by and a large bull in the herd. Got the snogo ready, gun, knife, thermos, etc. On my way at 11:30 am. Good snow around Nome this year.
    Here's the view after less than an hour of travelling:

You could see the herd easily( I know, it doesn't show in the pic). Headed on up the ridge to find them waiting:

Had to walk around them a while to wait for the bull to give me a shot. This herd had lost another bull the day before to another hunter. They stayed in a group for almost half an hour but finally the bull got mad at one opf the others and butted it out of the herd and left himself standing in the clear, broadside. One shot later and my hunt is over:

Now it's just a matter of rolling the animal into the sled and heading home. I can do all the skinning and gutting at home........inside my garage..........where it's warm. Here's the view looking back towards town:

Continued on next post.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default continued

Tarped him up, tied him down.......snug as a bug in a rug:

Ready for the trip home:

Total time away from home......less than 2 and 1/2 hours. Course, not all ox hunts are like this, but this time of year they can be. Lucked out on this guy, nice and fat and good eating.
    This year it's a Tier II hunt. Next year, Tier I registration hunt open to any alaska resident. Most of unit 22 opens Jan 1 for the registration hunt. So you might need to rent a snogo to actually hunt.........hmmmmmmmmmm............I wonder who might have snogo's to rent. There is a trophy destruction, but not so bad a guy couldn't get it fixed if he wanted a mount. Opportunities to shoot a B&C bull out here. There is also a drawing hunt for new areas of unit 22. The drawing is open to res and non res, possibly longer season. Check the regs when they come out this summer.

Wow! Thanks for posting this, marten. That looks like an awesome opportunity! So...you might have snowgo's to rent, eh? I might not be able to make it next year, but if this hunt lasts a bit longer, you may have a client.

How's the 'ox population up there? I'm guessing healthy with the added hunts?

mmmmmmm looks tastey
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Nice post MT,

You've got some of Alaska's finest eating meat there! A friend gave me an Ox roast and it was fantastic. Are you doing anything special with the hide?

Default Terms

Wow Martentrapper, nice bull! First time I saw one in the wild was this year on the north slope and thought they were some of the most ancient looking animals Ive seen. So they taste pretty good, cause have had a little before and thought it was tough. Again, congrats and I might need some rental info.

Terry

Wow! Congrtas and thanks for sharing.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Nice shooting and thank you for sharing the information. I will be sure to thoroughly read the regs this summer when they come out.

Very nice Martintrapper, congrats and thanks for the information. Are the musk ox typically easy to find in and around Nome, or do they wander off quite a ways? I'd be real interested in coming up next winter if this goes to a registration.

If you hunt in winter, with good snow cover, they are fairly easy to find. They are a herd animal and like hill and ridge tops so they often stand out.
    Only problem with this hunt is the lack of services out here. Only guided hunts available are in 22E. No transporters generally, and not much other services available to get a guy out in the country. Maybe that will change in time.

How many bulls are anticipated for "all" residents, Mike? What is the total number available this year?

Snogo rental: Is that free and clear of any outfitter regs?

Not trying to stir the pot, Trap <grin>
    Just wondering....

Looks like my old RMK is serving you well!

Frank.........I'm disappointed.......that's not your RMK. That is an 02 in the pic, blue cowl. Your is an 03, purple cowl. But yours is still serving me well.
    Any services I might provide, will be provided IN town. Snogo rental, place to stay, suggestions on where to hunt........hey, maybe even GPS coordinates for last known herd position. Since I am NOT providing services in the "field", YES, it is all free of transporter, guide regs.

Default Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

There all mine! Delete this post ASAP! From the sounds of it next year there will be alot of opportunities. 60 Tropghy tags and Tier 1 for residents. Will see ya Nome next year! Also to the man whom wrote about the meat, Correct X 10 the best wild game meat of any kind! Fat marbled in the meat not a tallo line like many game meats!

Good luck all!

Louie

Where are you guys seeing the information on these hunts? Is it going to be in the spring drawing supplement? Are the 60 trophy tags going to be drawing permits, or a certain type of registration permit?

Sweet pics! Congrats!
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

The regs aren't published yet. Might be something in the spring drawing hunt when it comes out. There will be a total of 37 draw permits available for unit 22 and 23 SW. The Tier 1 quota for all of 22 and 23 Sw will be 150. The tier I registration permits will be unlimited, but seasons will close when, or if, the quota is met. Areas closer to towns will more than likely see the quota filled somewhat quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Opportunities to shoot a B&C bull out here....
    Not if there is trophy destruction, IIRC. What exactly do they do??

Default See you next year

I will head on over if I can get a tag. I wont need a rental. I will just ride over from north pole. It is a nice ride and only takes 2-3 days. Probably 3-4 on the way back with a load. I will look you up if I get lucky enough to get a tag.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

The registration hunt has a trophy destruction if the horns leave the unit. If a guy really wanted to enter his horns he could leave them in the unit and have the guy who measures come to Nome. The trophy destruction takes the 3 inches of the horn tips off.
    The drawing hunt has no trophy destgruction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast