Thread: King techniques

Default King techniques

I have been thinking of different ways to catch kings when bait is illegal. What are some of the other tactics that you guys use? I really enjoy getting kings on spinners or drifting a corkie and yarn. Does anyone ever fish jigs? Been racking my brain lately to think of new ways to get kings without the use of bait
    Klickman

In Washington state they use a lot of pink worms under a float - same with a jig and a float....they use them mostly for steelhead, but I am sure that if you put it in front of a king and he was ticked off he would nail it.

Default Guide secrets

I have to be careful here to not give away the little advantage guides have any more (if any)... but here is the way that I fish before bait:

The same way, with the same lures as with bait, only without bait. I do very well with a spin-n-glow or cheater behind a diver without bait as well as a quick fish without bait. Sure, bait will definitely increase productivity, but the basic tackle does fine also.

Now, that is fishing out of a boat. From shore, I think that your suggestions of spinners, or corkies do very much the same as spin-n-glows/cheaters and plugs.

Now, for shore fishing, this hasn't been utilized very much on the Kenai or Kasilof, but try using planer boards with a diver and tackle attached as mentioned above. This will get your gear out into the current without it tailing out into the bank below you. Granted, this won't work in all areas of the Kenai, but there are certainly areas that it would.

Good luck

oh by the way, this was discussed on a Oregon board... pink worms may be considered bait if they have any kind of scent... so be sure to investigate that according to Alaska regulations before finding out the hard way...

BTW - goto piscatorialpursuits.com and I think that you can find a couple days worth of reading for fishing kings/steelies. I think that the owner does some outfittin in AK also and there is probably a forum for that too.

jigs are probably second only to flies. Throw different stuff...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default When is bait illegal? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    ...The same way, with the same lures as with bait, only without bait. I do very well with a spin-n-glow or cheater behind a diver without bait as well as a quick fish without bait. Sure, bait will definitely increase productivity, but the basic tackle does fine also.

Now, that is fishing out of a boat. From shore, I think that your suggestions of spinners, or corkies do very much the same as spin-n-glows/cheaters and plugs...
    Down here in we-use-bait-in-the-salt-year-round-land, I've had days when herring won't do a darn thing, but a big green Mepps spinner trolled fast from my downriggers at 90' seems to kill a lot of fish if they're not in a herring/hootchie kinda mood.

I've had them nail smaller scampi jigs like we use for halibut when we're mooching too... (actually, had a 40# king take a 16 oz scampi at 250' halibut fishing last year...)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Wiggle Warts, Flatfish and Kwikfish out this way in the rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    I have to be careful here to not give away the little advantage guides have any more (if any)... but here is the way that I fish before bait:

The same way, with the same lures as with bait, only without bait. I do very well with a spin-n-glow or cheater behind a diver without bait as well as a quick fish without bait. Sure, bait will definitely increase productivity, but the basic tackle does fine also.

Now, that is fishing out of a boat. From shore, I think that your suggestions of spinners, or corkies do very much the same as spin-n-glows/cheaters and plugs.

Now, for shore fishing, this hasn't been utilized very much on the Kenai or Kasilof, but try using planer boards with a diver and tackle attached as mentioned above. This will get your gear out into the current without it tailing out into the bank below you. Granted, this won't work in all areas of the Kenai, but there are certainly areas that it would.

Good luck

oh by the way, this was discussed on a Oregon board... pink worms may be considered bait if they have any kind of scent... so be sure to investigate that according to Alaska regulations before finding out the hard way...
    This is all the same stuff that I use. I have preferred these techniques even when bait is allowed as I dont have to get the bait all over everything to catch fish.

I have been looking for other techniques for kings as I have caught enough for me to get bored with the same ol, same ol techniques.

Hooked my first king on a fly in the homer spit pond this year and will try it in the Little su again this year. I have tried some jigs in the Little su for kings but have not hooked one yet. I do well on silvers and pinks with jigs.

I have not tried the pink worms but plan to now after reading about them here.

Thanks for sharing Alaskafishguides.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default OK I'll Play

Yes you can Jig Fish for Kings in a River however you have to be careful what you wish for.

Don't expect to find commercial jigs for this application that will meet Specs for larger kings just might have to make your own. Better if your in a drfit boat or raft.

Almost impossible from the shore.

Can be backed bounced into deep holes. Snags can be many! With work you can perfect the method!

I know some help I am eh!

Tight Lines! Best Wishes!

Blue Moose

Default I do tie my own

This is what I have been trying. I use jigs with a float. I know the river very well where I have been trying the jigs plus I use 65 pound spiderwire stealth line. Had some purple ones too but I coulndt find them for the pic. I found it in my paint touch up spot.
    Last edited by RMiller; 04-08-2008 at 13:29.

Default Shoreline Drift Rig

I have used all of the mentioned hardware (non-bait) techniques. They all work.

Maybe try this one (see picture) on a 2 ft leader with some weight. It is my go to rig for drifting from the shoreline.

The majority of chinooks I catch from shore is done with this rig.

Good Luck...TSS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I will be trying that one too. I think the kids will like using it too. Thanks for sharing Jedi.

Default First bite jigs

First Bite Jigs in Oregon have some productive Salmon maribou jigs made with 3/0 Owner hooks which are perfect for Kings. The stealhead Shrimp tail jigs are also deadly effective on Silvers.

http://pnwws.com/cgi-bin/firstbitejigs/store/store.pl

Best artificials for Kings:
    Kwikfish
    Vibrax Spinners
    Jigs
    Plugs (Mag Warts)
    Corkies, Oakies, and Yarn
    Fly's

Default Swingin jigs

When I first got up here I only had what I brought, so when the kings came in on a river out of Bethel, I tried the corkies, spinners etc. and had some success on all but I also had some half ounce real image jigs with silvery clear bodies...I had no way to get them to the conspicous and downright obnoxious color that salmon want but I did have yarn. SO, I tied a chunk of green yarn onto the bend of the hook of this silvery jig and it produced very well. I hucked it into the head of the hole and popped it like a crank across the drop off then let it swing the rest of the way...cast and repeat. It may not be the best way but it was a nice discovery after everybody in camp laughed at my options. I caught my first king (18 pounds) on a seven foot ultra light with six pound test while casting a sixteenth ounce jig (a crappie rig from back home)...was fishin for grayling but that king ate it all the same. I think anything with some bright color that is bounced, jigged, or just generally slammed into their face is going to get a response...it's fun to tinker when the fish are in. Now I live on the nushagak and swear by k15 and k 16 kwikfish in bright disgusting colors with a little chrome in em. I prefer sardine wraps but they worked just fine when I was out. Seen lots of guys without eggs bang em up on spin n glos behind divers too. The stink may help seal the deal when using bait but first and foremost you need to get em cranked up so there are lots of options (as stated by many wise anglers above).

Something else to figure in is where you try when you experiment. big holes with milling kings is a nice and captive audience compared to slots where they are rippin through. When I'm trying out new colors, patterns, etc. I always go to holes that I know they hold in so I can build up the confidence and get a little "fishy" feeling in me before trying the tactic at large.

Tear it up and have fun man...king fishing is one of the greatest blessings an alaskan angler has been given. It's always good to have lots of tools in the box.

What's the proper way to drift from shoreline? Do you throw it out and let the current take it, or do you keep a constant tension on it by slowly reeling in?

I'm just picturing a king taking a rig, intercepting the lure below the sinker, and by the time the weight has bounced past him another 2ft, that he might be long gone before you felt the take.

We fished this way for hours last year and managed one King, is there any way I can change it up and improve my chances?

Thanks!

Default Shore Drifting Technique

While drifting any of these lures, besides trying your best to keep the slack out of the line, would you try to set the hook immediately like steelhead fishing if the cork stops drifting or wait for it to disappear? Jedi, I've used that green squid in the salt but never tried it in the rivers. I'll give it a try. May the force be with you !!

While bottom boucing from shore like drifting with a spin and glow I keep the rod at around a 45* angle up keeping the extra slack out of the line. I do not reel the lure to me as this has a tendancy to lift the bait off the bottom and the current will just wash it downstream too fast.

If I am in a crowd (which I rarely fish anymore). I point the rod tip nearly at the lure slightly off maybe 5* angle up or upstream and I will have my finger under the line ahead of the reel. You will feel the bite first on your finger and if it is stong pull it will pull the whole rod towards the fish. Pic shows finger under line (helpful note: I use braided line for nearly all my salmon fishing but it has no place in crowds)

If I use a float I set the depth of the lure to just hit bottom in the shallow part of the drift. They I will look for two things: If the float is disturbed where I know the water is simply to deep for the bait to be hitting bottom then I know it is a hit and I will set the hook. If I think I have a hit in the shallower spots where it could just be the jig hitting bottom I will pull up on the rod tip gently and if it is a hit you can feel the fish swimming on the end of the line and quickly set the hook. If it is not a hit the jig will simply come to you with the lightest amount of pressure and you will know it is just the bottom.

On kings I always set the hook 2-5 times.
    Last edited by RMiller; 04-08-2008 at 13:29.