Thread: Speaking of shrimping

Default Speaking of shrimping

Does anybody know anything about shrimping in Kodiak? I understand the Kodiak area has been fished out commercially for shrimp, but what about recreational? Any info would be helpful.
    Thanks

I had some folks from kodiak stop by my booth at the wasilla sportsmens show last year and they said that there were still shrimp to catch over there but didn't give up any locations. Thats all i know.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Shrimpless in Kodiak...

I never came across any from my hosts when I was around, and I've been hitting the Emerald Isle pretty hard as a tourist-reseacher since 2003.

I've never seen them for sale roadside, or fresh in the markets, either.

That doesn't mean they aren't there, but that is the only observation I could add to this thread.

Believe it or not, the best buy I find in wild shrimp comes from the full service Wal-Mart. I only buy it in 5 lb. bags that are frozen. The product will beat our local markets here in Florida by 45% in cost...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Shrimp In Kodiak

There was a tremendous biomass of shrimp in the big bays all around Kodiak Island and they were mopped-up by the local draggers over 20 years ago. These were all taken by mid-water trawls as I understand it. The Burch brothers were some of the pioneers of the fishery.

I would be surprised if there were not shrimp still available for recreational pot fishing in the rockpiles just offshore in the right depths. You may have to get away from the local population, but it is unusual to not have shrimp of some description along a rocky coastline in the Gulf.