Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadheads for Moose

Default Broadheads for Moose

New to Alaska bowhunting.
    Intend to hunt moose and black bear.
    Need some advice on broadheads, weights in paticular.

Thanks
    DLW

As for what size BH. What ever your bow is set up for. 100, 125 will great for moose. I like the TI-2 100 grn.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Forget about mechanicals, well i wouldnt even shoot mechanicals at a deer. Otherwise, Magnus, Magnus, Magnus. Buzzcuts, Stingers, or Snuffer, Snuffer SS. Anyway you look at it you cant go wrong with Magnus.

thanks for the advice.

What are you shooting for a bow Dlw??
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I have put two muzzy 3 blade 100 grain with the trochar tip into moose. The first hit the humerus, the bone between the elbow and the shoulder blade. Moose went 40 yards and fell. When I skinned it out the bone had split into three pieces. The second muzzy was at 17 yards, perfect broadside. I swear that all four legs flipped to the side and the moose crashed over. My .338 rifle has never lifted a moose off the ground like this I see no reason to even try a different head
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default broadheads

I shoot a 125 grain Steelforce saber I think it is called, have shot a couple bears with this and leaves a great blood trail. If you have ever shot bears with the bow blood trails aren't always good becuz of fat plugging the exit hole. They sell a 1 inch version, but I prefer the 1 5/16 inch head big broadhead good blood trail.

I use a Mission X3 set @70#.
    Got it about a year ago and love it.

Thanks Roger45
    i am already set up for 100 gr. and was hoping to keep it that way.
    dlw

appreciate the info BIGDOG.
    dlw

Default Not trying to start argument.

Quote Originally Posted by verlaskan View Post
    Forget about mechanicals, well i wouldnt even shoot mechanicals at a deer. Otherwise, Magnus, Magnus, Magnus. Buzzcuts, Stingers, or Snuffer, Snuffer SS. Anyway you look at it you cant go wrong with Magnus.
    I am not trying to start an argument, just stating my opinion.
    I have been using mechanicals for several years with great success. Now I know that my thoughts are really mute, do to the fact that AK. does not allow mechanicals for moose and grizz/brown.
    I use Grim Reaper heads, and have 8 years. I have taken moose, bou, grizz, elk, mule deer, whitetails, ext. ext. ext.
    Personally I believe that every broad head out there on the market will effectively kill any animal. When placed in the right spot.
    The difference I see is in marginal shots. As we all know, it is not a perfect world, and not all hits are perfect.
    I do not know how many dozens of animals I have taken with grim reapers. But I do know that I have experienced shorter blood trails, devastating would channels with huge entrance/exit holes, field point accuracy. And most importantly of all, I have not lost an animal in 8 years. Even with some very marginal shots that I feared at the time would result in no recovery.
    I harvested a moose in Alberta a few years back, that I believe is a testament to the penetration of these heads. It was a 33yd. shot, slight quarter to. Entered right behind front shoulder breaking two ribs, through one lung, liver, exiting opposit rear haunch. Complete pass through, with moose going approx. 75yds.
    I see at least 85% of the animals I shoot go down. I personally like the razor tip 100 grain. I use the 1-3/4 cut for deer, black bear, bou, or anything smaller. I use the 1-3/8 cut for anything larger than the above listed animals.
    Just my opinion, and experience.
    Most importantly have confidence in what you use.
    ONLY use razor sharp, or brand new heads!
    There is no substitute for shooting accuratly. Do not ever do it, but a field point will kill anything on earth if placed in the right spot.

Default 100 is plenty

I believe 100 gr is plenty when placed in the right spot. I used to shoot 125gr thunderheads but switched to 100gr muzzys about 10 years ago and have taken deer, hogs, and elk and won't hesitate to shoot moose or black bear with them, I would probably step up to 125gr for brownies though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlw View Post
    Thanks Roger45
    i am already set up for 100 gr. and was hoping to keep it that way.
    dlw

I have used muzzy on moose and caribou and deer and I definatly recommend them I used 75 grain 3 blade and 115 grain four blade. The 75 were with a weighted insert than brought the total weight to 125. I have also shot moose and caribou with some cheaper blades that I will not recommend.

I have heard that the mechanical spitfire NAP and the rage are good heads as well.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Moose broadhead

I shot my moose last year with 100 grain Magnus Snuffer Blade SS, It did the job! i would go with a solid piece broadhead, seems stronger...CK

I'm a believer in the Montec g-5; as to 100 or 125 grain I like a heavier if possible because they usually fare better in a bone encounter. They kill great, penetrate very well; pass through on 3 black bear and a moose, barely even slowed down on the way through. I've never really questioned the blood trail, though. The last bear I shot went about 50 yards and left a good trail; I wouldn't call it an awesome trail though. I saw where it went down, so didn't need the trail anyhow. The moose only went 30 yards, in a downpour, in near dark, so I didn't need a trail. I couldn't even say if there was a trail! I just followed the sound of it blowing blood, and put an insurance arrow into it. I don't have any comparison stories to tell- I started with the g-5's, and not sure I'll ever move away from them, unless for some odd reason they fail me. Playing the wind's post has me thinking, though. Its winter so we always ask ourselves "is there something better?"

Quote Originally Posted by verlaskan View Post
    Forget about mechanicals,

Especially because they are illegal to use on most big game up here
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Lots of options really. Fixed blade Muzzys, Thunderheads, Montecs, Magnus, etc all are popular and are good choices. Grain size may be more depended on your arrow spine weight and how well they shoot with your set-up. Just experiment a bit, go with what flies well if your set-up and don't forget to practice with your broadheads (don't just screw them onto your bow the day before the season starts). I personally shoot 100 grain SlickTricks and they work well for me.

I'm pretty sure the previous post is correct, mechanicals may be illegal for some critters up here. Best check the regs first.

Default broadhead choice

Several of us would definitely choose Slick Tricks!

Default For what it is worth

I think the G5 is a great broadhead. It is very well built, and I like the fact of actually being able to sharpen it even better than factory. Flys great, and penetrates well. I have just had what I feel to be better results with the grim reaper expandable. Another great fixed blade (legal) broadhead for moose or brown/grizz in AK. is the Hades head by grim reaper. But once again, just my thoughts.
    Hey Willphish, if you want to know more about the grim reapers, they have a DVD that is free and very interesting. It shows several test of many different heads being shot from the same bow, same arrow, all shot from a mechanical machine. They shoot them all through test molds of forensic geliten blocks. And geliten blocks with shoulder blades molded into them. 55gal steel drums, ext. ext. All the test were taped in slow motion. And penetration was measured. Some of the DVD is on there web address grimreaperbroadheads.com.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I'm a believer in the Montec g-5; as to 100 or 125 grain I like a heavier if possible because they usually fare better in a bone encounter. They kill great, penetrate very well; pass through on 3 black bear and a moose, barely even slowed down on the way through. I've never really questioned the blood trail, though. The last bear I shot went about 50 yards and left a good trail; I wouldn't call it an awesome trail though. I saw where it went down, so didn't need the trail anyhow. The moose only went 30 yards, in a downpour, in near dark, so I didn't need a trail. I couldn't even say if there was a trail! I just followed the sound of it blowing blood, and put an insurance arrow into it. I don't have any comparison stories to tell- I started with the g-5's, and not sure I'll ever move away from them, unless for some odd reason they fail me. Playing the wind's post has me thinking, though. Its winter so we always ask ourselves "is there something better?"

Mechanicals are only illegal one Brown bear, moose, Goat, bison and Musk ox.

Last year a buddy of mine and his wife went on a bowhunt safari to Africa. Their PH told them the best broadhead they have seen used is the Rage mechanical for all game even tough warthog and large eland. They are strong, penetrate and open immediately on impact. The entrance and exit holes are full expanded diameter. This leads to the guts falling out of the holes and snagging on vegetation if either the entrance or exit are through the guts.

Thought this was interesting enough that I will certainly not bash on them without trying them first.

My buddy and his wife did well but had one animal that had to be tracked for nearly a mile and was found later the next day after it was shot and was put down with a rifle. The critter was hit through one lung only. The PH said that critter would not have gone far if it was hit there with a rage broadhead.

They were using g5's on their safari.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast