Thread: Spectra lines for mooching

Southern Alberta, born in Yakima, Washington

Default Spectra lines for mooching

Any one out there who's tried spectra lines for salmon mooching? How long of a topshot of mono have you used?

Default Top Shot?

I never have used any. We use 30 lb. spectra with about 3' of fluro leader and a soft hook set on silvers. Most of the time they hook them selves. Just make sure the drag is not to tight since you don't have the "mono stretch".

Default Planning to Mooch With A Spectra Braid This Year

I haven't decided exactly which brand to try as yet, but I want to have the sensitivity of a braid to feel the fish mouthing the bait. Kind of thinking about the PowerPro in 25# test in Phantom Red, connected to at least a 12-foot flouro leader in 15# test. By using a connector swivel small enough to crank right up onto the reel and a removable banana sinker - we found we could control the fish better on the longer leaders alongside the boat for putting them in the net. Good luck AB A. ;-]

Default line

I used 30lb Power Pro with a 3' flouro leader attached directly to the banana weight. I think I used 20lb Fluorocarbon. We were able to catch a limit (6ea) in about an hour and a half using this so I never tried anything else.

They really come into their own with heavy weights and strong currents. With the mono stretch gone, they are unbelieveably sensitive in spite of challenging conditions. We don't bother with top shots. They don't seem to help, and it's one more knot in the system.

Default Top shot

I use a 30' flouro carbon monofiliment top shot for both mooching and trolling. This allows me to handle/ untangle mono when the fish gets close to the boat and will allow me to snap the downrigger release when trolling to mono which is more abriasion resistant. I use an improved albright knot for the connection between the mono and the braid. I like to make the loop in the mono and wind the braid around the loop. Never had one slip catching everything from salmon to big halibut to marlin and cow yellowfin tuna. Oen thing to look at if the little end of the mono that sticks out of that knot. I like to take a lighter and round the end of the mono so it won't tear up your thumb when fishing it all day

Southern Alberta, born in Yakima, Washington

Default Spectra lines for mooching

Thanks for the great responses. I also have used the albright knot but I wrapped the mono around the spectra. I'll give it a try the other way. I have heard of people using as much as 100' and as little as 25' until today. I hear what you're saying about the little stretch factor but I do like the sensitivity of the spectra. I'm hoping that a soft mooching rod will help to cushion the runs! Does the knot get snagged in the guides? Does something like a superglue help?

Default A Little Dab Will Do Ya

AB - If I have it handy I always put a spot of superglue on my spectra-only knots. As far as I am concerned they are permanent and will be cut off anyway, so why not be sure they will hold. When I am putting braids directly to mono I use an Albright knot with no glue - forming the loop on the mono side and wrapping with the braid. When going to a swivel or any other kind of connector with braid the plain old Palomar is simple, fast, and works just fine.