Thread: Your Reloading Room / Area & Equipment

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Your Reloading Room / Area & Equipment

I guess that I am a little more than curious about what other reloaders have in the way of dedicated space for reloading, equipment etc. What works great, works ok, and just doesn’t cut it. I know that when I started out years ago that I had a single stage RCBS press screwed to a chunk of plywood that I would “C” clamp to the kitchen table and reload in the tiny apartment my new wife and I shared. Many years have passed since those humble beginnings and I now have basically ¼ of the two car (realistically 1 ½ car garage) garage dedicated to reloading and other firearm related stuff. With three presses, two lubrisizers, two casting pots, two beam scales, two electric scales, a half dozen powder measures, three case trimmers, several tricklers and about 20 dies. The other ancillary equipment is far to extensive to list and I am sure similar to what many of you have. I am not trying to brag about what I have, although I am proud of my set-up and the generous amount of time my wife tolerates me spending out there. But I am always thinking ahead to that “dream house” that remains a few years out of reach, and what my future “dream” reloading area will eventually look like, so am naturally looking for good ideas to incorporate into the “grand plan”.

So I guess what the question should be is: what do you have? And what WOULD you have if you could? In regards to equipment and space / accommodations.

Bring it on..........lets hear it.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Great idea

I'm in the begining stages myself (equipment but no bench). I would love to see pics if you have them. I'd like to do it right the first time.

I've got a 20' bench along with cabinets and drawers. Trouble is, the bench is so covered with carp that I couldn't photograph it. Maybe I'll try to clean up a section and do that tomorrow. The reasons being, I've got all my reloading tools on 12" x 12" blocks that slide into dovetails on the bench top. When not in use I slide a "blank" block into the bench top so I can use it for other stuff. It's worked good for the last 20 years, and everyone that sees it starts figuring on something similar. It's real nice to be able to easily get rid of the machines when you need to use precious indoor space for something else. Including piling carp.

I once bought an old metal desk that I would drag into the house, bolt down my rockchucker and spend a few weeks loading before sending it back outside until needed. Now I have 8 feet of built in garage bench that gets clustered, cleaned, clustered and cleaned, with the same old rockchucker. It isn't much but it's usually warm, dry, and always there when I need rounds. It's nice to have a dedicated space for loading, but it doesn't have to be a lot to get it done.
    I know a guy who buried a 30 inch pipe out of the side of his garage/shop.
    If I were to build a new house, I would add some type of test range of 30 to 50 feets where I could shoot a few without driving to the range. a buried horizontal culvert with a 90 and box fan for ventilatin would not be much to install during new construction.

Just picked up a new 8 foot long bench at Costco to replace my smaller one. Mounted on the bench will be my Rock Chucker and Ammo Master presses. On the other end my trimmer will be mounted.
    Shelves are mounted over the bench and when the weather warms up I will make shelves to go under the bench.
    Casting equipment stays in the garage.
    Lucky enough to have a 5 bedroom house so one bedroom is for reloading and storing all the associated crap that goes along with it.
    Tennessee

The main things i would like to purchase right now is a Redding T-7 turret press and a RCBS digital powder dispenser. I can't justify the T-7, since my current single stage and Dillon is in good working order. But if somebody is just starting out, i feel that it would be the way to go.

Currently i'm using a 8ft butcher block table...but i'm quickly running out of room, even with multiple wall mounted shelves above, below and next to the bench.

I have a small shop that serves a couple of purposes, with reloading thrown in. In addtion to serving as 'retail space' for a little bit of outdoor gear that I sell, it houses my wood working tools in winter, and has been known to have geese under brooder lights in fish tubs... It's nice in that it's heated and is my 'man space' - but starting to get a bit crowded. I have a Redding single stage mounted to the deck of the work bench, with a Hornady powder measure mounted alongside. Works pretty well for 'production' loading - not a Dillon but by staging my prep for pistol rounds I can load pretty fast. Right now I don't have a great desire to go to a progressive press, but I do wish for a Corbin or similar setup to start making some jacketed bullets. An extra 10 feet of workbench space would be good, and let's face it - if you are going to trim brass you should probably do it with a 12x36 lathe.....

It has taken me over a year to compile all my equipment and supplies. Luckily we have enough space to where I could turn the basement room into my computer/reloading room. It's one of the only areas that I can consistantly keep semi-clean. The desk is limited due to it's size and can get cramped but has worked great otherwise. There's few equipment I have that I do not care for, I was lucky to have a buddy that steered me in the right direction when I was choosing the parts and pieces of this setup. My latest adition was steel shelves, it keeps most everything out of my daugthers reach. Probably the only thing I can live without in this picture is the can of Unique. Here's a pic

Default Reloading table/ room setup

Here are a couple of pictures of mine. I used an old computer desk but want to and will someday upgrade to a table like Water_Gremlins. We are moving into our new house so I will have a room in the basement all to myself for reloading only and move out of the garage where the desk is now.

Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Default Ideas are flowing

I've been debating on building my own or going store bought. Leaning towards the store bought now, that looks nice. However never thought about the computer desk though. Starting to eye up the wife's sewing cart/table thingy. Is the desk sturdy enough?

Here is mine. I use a lee hand press so a lot of the time I do the press work standing as I can not sit for long periods.
    Last edited by RMiller; 04-08-2008 at 13:29.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

What's with the mouse traps? Worried a vermin will run off with your brass?

The wife got those in hopes of keeping the neighborhood dogs away from our trash can.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

here are a few shots of what I currently have going;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jan 08 107.jpg  
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Ok, now that I have the "picture thing" figuered out..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jan 08 108.jpg   Jan 08 109.jpg  

Last one..............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jan 08 110.jpg   Jan 08 112.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by GITDEMBARS View Post
    I've been debating on building my own or going store bought. Leaning towards the store bought now, that looks nice. However never thought about the computer desk though. Starting to eye up the wife's sewing cart/table thingy. Is the desk sturdy enough?
    It's sturdy enough to really crank down on the press and not move. My wife did however back into the press while I was deployed and it broke the the press off the desk. The press is fine, not bent or anything. There is a semi circle where the three bolts had it mounted to the desk. I would go store bought with something like Water_Gremlins or don't let your wife drive your truck while you're deployed. Anywho, as a temporary fix, I'm gonna put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood over the top of the desk and remount the press. We are moving now, so all that's knda on the back burner until we get settled.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.