Thread: Chewing

Default Chewing

does anyone have any good ideas to fix the act of wanting to chew on furniter or plants or dog beds?? i have a 7 month GSP and i run her every day when i get home from work, give raw hides for her, at times a shoe, plant or table is more appealing. Any suggestions?

I tried that spray stuff (which doesn't work on my Lab) that you spray onto whatever you don't want chewed up. I heard it works for some dogs. Not on my Lab though. I have just had to resort to keeping a constant watch on him, and putting things I don't want chewed out of reach. I would also be interested if somebody has some suggestions, on how to break him of this.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I have tried that spray stuff also and work for a little bit on my lab but he got used to it and it didnt matter anymore to him. I constantly introduce and give him new play toys. I have gone to the fire hose type material and he loves them, I treat them the same as his bumper and put them up after a few hours of him playing with them then work on his obedience
    training in the house then give it back to him. He has recently found ways to tear them apart so I have to buy new ones but he is now wanting my slippers and white socks and I have turned that into a retrieving drill for him. I am by no means a trainer but would suggest introducing a new toy to him when he wants to get after the plant or wood, try to divert his mind from that to the new toy and see what happens. There are plenty of trainers on this forum that Im sure will give great replies on this thread. Thanks and good luck.

Chewing is a fundamental part of canine behavior. There mouth is there main tool just as our hands are for us.
    Chewing cannot be stopped......but it can be curbed or redirected to a more constructive manner instead of destructive.
    The number one cause of chewing is boredom or a passifier for built up energy. It is there way of venting. Remember that exercise and obedience on a regular schedule will help you out the most for a lot of dog behavior problems.
    You have the right idea of having something specifically that belongs to your dog. Have them available.... and if you catch fido with something they are not suppose to have. Just casually walk over and take it from them and then offer them what they are suppose to have. Raw hides, kong toys, ropes and the large hard (not soft)plastic toys work great.
    You also have to do your part and make sure you clean up after yourself. Dogs are creatures of opportunity. If it is there and within easy reach they will get it. So put up and away things you don't want them to get into.
    Citrus spray works the best. Lemon or orange. Just keep in mind that the citrus may spot certain things. It also needs to be applied frequently.
    I also have used sticky tape. Take a piece of tape...type doesn't matter. Take for example a wooden chair leg that your dog has found a fancy for. Roll the tape length wise and stick it to itself with the sticky side out. Most dogs don't like it. It even helps to stick it on there muzzle or mouth before applying it to your chair. Get them afraid of it before using it.
    There also is a product that horse enthusiast use. It is called anti-cribbing agent. You brush or spray it on.
    It also is a very good idea to seperate your training toys and the toys that are laying around the house and the yard. These toys are yours and only come out when you train with your dog. After you're done they go back up.

As I come up with others I'll post them.

Default My expericence...

I have two GSPs and when they were puppies they chewed everything. Lost some sweet hunting boots to my Male when he was about 3 months old. I think you just have to put up with it for about a year. Once my dogs reached 1 to 1 1/2 years there chewing went away. Lots of exercise is a good way to help. I know winter time in the interior can be a little troublesome with shorthairs. But put coats on them and get em out... a tired sleeping dog doesn't chew. In my experience you have to find a toy that your dog likes, this can be expensive and aggravating. One solution... take you dog to the pet store and let him find what toy he/she likes. I learned this when my male was about a year old. I took him into Coldspot feed and we just went into the toy isle. I just started showing him toys, he didn't seem too interested till I found one of those "rubber chicken" looking things that squeak. He was so thrilled with this new toy that I had a hard time getting it away from him to pay for it. The employees had a good laugh. Every time I would put the toy up on the counter he would stand up on his hind legs and grab it again. It was like he was possessed.

My female on the other hand is a little different. She had one really bad episode of chewing. I think she mostly did it because she was mad. Most of the time she just brings me things, she doesn't chew them. When she is excited she will bring you what ever she can get in her mouth. Sticks, leaves, dirty socks, shoes, her toy... she really not into chewing things up. She just wants to carry them around.

I think if you are patient most GSPs will grow out of chewing.

I know a guy who uses cayanne? pepper powder, mix it with water to form a paste and rub it on whatever you don't want chewed.

Good luck,

KK

I would be careful with the cayanne pepper, I know somebody who tried this, and it almost killed thier dog. The dog was vomitting blood, and almost died. I don't know if the dog was alergic to it, or if cayanne pepper does this to dogs.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!