Thread: best 225 HP

Default best 225 HP

am interested in the opinions on a new 225 which is the best one to go with between Yamaha --- Suzuki --- or the E-Tech

Yamaha,s been around the longest --they are pretty thirsty though
    Suzuki --- some guys really love em
    E-tech --- pretty impressive stats (claims) but only been around for 4 years

pondering

I think my money might be on the Merc Opti. For a jet boat anyway.

Every report I read from Power Boats said the Mercury Optimax had the best fuel economy of any outboard while cruising.
    The Etec posted better numbers while trolling.
    I went with the Optimax 200 prop for my Alaskan and it will be installed April. Several of my friends run a Opti (props) on there annual Koyukuk moose run and they told me they are getting better mileage than they used to get on there Honda 4 strokes. And there holeshot is better and they are easier to get the loads on step.
    As with anything, its your money and your choice
    Tennessee

I used to own a 2004 Lund 2025 pro-v and it had a Mercury Opti 225 on it. That motor was considerably easier on fuel than the Verados and other similar motors. Oil consumption, after the break in period was not substantial either. If I were to power a boat with a motor in that size range, that is where I would look first. On my boat, with it fully loaded and two people, it would easily cruise at 3200 rpm and running around 30 mph. I ran a Mercury stainless 4 blade, 19 pitch prop on this boat.

oopps didn,t know the Opti was that good I better broaden my search time to do some more checking

Forgot to mention that the Etecs are a good deal quieter during operation. They both weight about the same (Opti's vs Etec) but the Etecs are wayyyyyy more expensive. Buy an Opti prior to 15 April and it has a 5 year no ded warranty
    Tennessee

I know it wasnít mentioned in your initial post, but Iíd go with a Merc. Opti. My Honda has been great, but lately Iíve been thinking more and more about repowering with a 150 Opit. They are pretty sweet. From what Iíve read the Opti is better than the E-Tec, Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda. They are also supposed to have better fuel economy and acceleration.

Also Merc Opti's have been around longer than the E-Tecs......

Default Which is better

I really can not tell you but give you what I have seen.
    One of the Charter Boats " Harbor Craft" out of Valdez was purchased new with twin 225 ET. He had problems with over heating took the boat back to the dealer and they replaced them with twin 225 Suzuki. The Suzuki's now have 1500 hours on them and he plans on running them another two seasons. No problems not 1
    Another boat which was a 28th Alumaweld Off Shore was purchased in 1995 with 175 Mer. He upgrade to 225
    Opti which he ran until 2005 when he purchased a new boat. In 2007 he replaced the Mercs with 225 Suzuki's and he said that the Suzuki's where better on fuel and over all performance was better. Also on the Merc's he had a comtract with Mer'c on a guide program which they would give him discounts on new engines. They stopped the program but I do know he was getting over 2000 hours on his engines.