Thread: Sourdough Starter

Eagle River

Thumbs up Sourdough Starter

Hey Gang,

How long have you kept your sourdough starter going? Mine has been active and healthy for about a year now. I received it as a gift from a family that received it from another family and so on......

This stuff is great.

This is what I had for breakfast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Eastern Oregon

Yeah, sourdough is awesome. We have a start that we've had going for several years, I think about 15. It has died and been resurrected a couple of times. We dry some on waxed paper and store it in a jar in case we need it. Sourdough is interesting stuff. We've had up to three starts going at the same time and they're all different.

I have heard more people tell me their start dates back to the 1880's gold rush days. Too funny.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

North Pole

Default starter

I started mine 2 years ago. It seemed to take about a year for it to really get that good sourdough flavor. If we keep it going long enough, I'll give starts to my kids some day.

I received starter from my mother and she got hers in 1968, the year I was born, from a fellow USAF wife while stationed in the lower 48. My mom thinks this lady had it for at least several years prior. Pancakes at mom's every Saturday morning.
    Wherever you go ....there you are.