Thread: Haul road question / flying

Default Haul road question / flying

I was sitting in the back yard a couple of days ago BBQing, drinking a few beers, and like usual daydreaming about Alaska when a guy flew over the house on one of these lightweight parachute flying contraptions. It looks like a go cart with a fan on the back with a parachute overhead. Then it occured to me, could you fly from the haul road out the 5 miles to shoot a caribou and then back with one of these things? Is this legal or possible? Any ideas, I am sure if it was legal or possible someone would be doing it. It also occured to me that Mary Poppins would have been hell on Caribou off the Haul road but that was after drinking several more beers.

Hank

I have thought the same thing myself (Ultralites and powered parachutes) . I would assume that the tundra would prevent a takeoff in one of those contraptions and weight would also come into play I am sure as they are made for the weight of one person without any cargo.

Hmmm....that would be called cheating

If you used one, would you run afoul of the same day airborne rule?

Same day airborne rule would apply if another hunter didn't shoot you down first.

Yes, you would be subject to the same day airborne hunting rule. There are ridges you could land an ultralight on. We have checked it out However, the wind up there is usually fierce enough that using an ultralight or powered parachute would be hazardous.

Our group had someone crazy enough to try it last year. All I will say about it is we had some fairly tense moments. Wind, approaching darkness, fuel, landing and takeoff distances... these were all issues. We were hauled in commercially and using the ultralight for support on a float trip. Good weather allowed for it's use but if things had gotten nastier it would have been a real jam. When you hunt that far north, as I have numerous times, you can count on one thing with the weather... you CAN'T predict it. You can start a 10-12 day hunt with 70 degree days and end with snow.

Know a few that take their sport planes up there. Depends on the weather as to wheather they do any good or not.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Wind factor

I have looked into it as well. The powered parachutes do not react well to wind. Their top speed is about 25 mph. A good north slope breeze can easily exceed that. They are not supposed to be flown in wind over 15 mph. The other factor is fog. I have seen it go from clear skys to pea soup fog very quickly. You would have to be able to wait out the weather, which can be a long time sitting on meat on a ridge in zero visibility wondering if that noise is a hungry bear...