Thread: reduce the weight of 700 Rem

Default reduce the weight of 700 Rem

First time for me posting in the shooting forum but have learned a lot over the last few years so I thought makybe you guys could give me a little advice. I have a Rem 700 BDL with DM in 7MM Rem Mag that weighs around 8.5lbs with scope. I have a few other rifles but this is what I mainly use. I would like to shed some weight off of this gun maybe a pound. I thought it would be simple. It currently has a synthetic stock that I thought I could swap for a lighter stock. Well since it has a DM most "off the shelf stocks" will not fit. Guess Remington must not sell enough of them for the larger after market companies to make 1 to fit. I did find some more custom stocks that will reduce the weight but I don't want to spend $500 just to drop some weight when really there is nothing wrong with the stock that I have now. So now I am looking into getting my 24" barrel fluted. I found an outfit that will flute my barrel which will reduce the weight by about 8oz for $110. For another $110 they will flute my bolt and shave the action to save another 3-5oz. This seems like a better option plus I think it will make the balance of the gun a little better by reducing the weight of the barrel which is a little front heavy. Any other options I missed and are there any issues with reduced accuracy of fluting a barrel that is already rifled. I see some gunsmiths typically flute barrrels before they are rifled. Thanks for any input.

Default Option

While this may not be the option you ask for,HERE GOES. Save yourself a lot of cash. Sell your Remington 700 DM. Take the cash and purchase a Tikka T3 LITE in 7mm Mag. It comes in blue or stainless with wood or synthetic stock. It already weighs 6 lbs. 6 oz. comes with a detachable magazine. They shoot under 1 MOA factory. And you should have several dollars left over for ammo to resight your new rifle in. Problem solved, just my 2 cents worth.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

A lighter scope may help you. Not sure what you have but a leupold vxII 2-7 only weighs 10oz as does an FXII. You could go lighter but you would be compromising optics. I say skip the fluting as it is not worth it. If you really want a light weight rifle I would sell this and buy a lighter rifle. there are many options out there. A DM will always weigh much more than adl or bdl bottom metal.

I just Built a remington Ti in .308 that weights 5 1/2 pounds. It has a kreiger #1 22inch barrel, mickey edge stock, aluminium trigger guard, gre-tan light weight firing pin and shroud, Remington 700 Ti short action and a leupold FXII 6x36 scope.

just a thought.

There are also some special runs from cabelas and gander mountian that are remington mountian rifles that have the old style titainium stock. They were being closed out at gander mountian for 485 bucks. They only weigh 6 pounds. I picked one up for my wife and put it in a micky mountian rifle stock and now it weights just under 6 pounds. These were being called the poor mans Ti.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't really want to sell the gun because 1) it shoots good after having the trigger adjusted and 2) it was my college graduation present from my dad but I have thought about it.

I will check out some of the lighter scopes. I currently have a Leupold 3-9x40 on it.

I wouldn't sell the gun if it was a present from my father no matter what. I would look at a couple of synthetic stocks and see if they could be modified with a little inletting to accomodate the DM. I haven't looked at a DM 700 but the basic action has to be the same so it should be doable.

Default Option 2

Quote Originally Posted by JRex View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't really want to sell the gun because 1) it shoots good after having the trigger adjusted and 2) it was my college graduation present from my dad but I have thought about it.

I will check out some of the lighter scopes. I currently have a Leupold 3-9x40 on it.
    Sounds like a good excuse to add another rifle to your battery. I really don't want to sell this rifle cause dad gave it to me,BUT it's just TOOOO heavy for a sheep rifle. I MUST need another rifle. LOL
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Well I can covert it from a DM to the standard BDL configuration but the parts cost around $200. This would enable me to buy a standard BDL stock but I actually like the DM.

Guess you are right. I will have to add another gun to my wish list.

I would still compare the dm side by side with a std. 700 and look over the differences to see if a std. 700 stock is workable, or at least contact a competent gunsmith and see what he has to say.

There are many things that you can do to drop the weight of your rifle without spending big bucks in the process.

1. Lightweight scope. Anything smaller then a 3-9x40 will be lighter.Brand is depending on what you like and what features you are looking for. I currently have a 2-7x35 Burris FF2 on my Model 7 and it weighs around 10 ounces. Leupold,Burris,Nikon etc all make smaller scopes that will fit the bill.

2. Talley lightweight rings/bases. Probably the best and cheapest way to shave off weight. The complete combo weighs 35% of what the same combo in Leupold rings/bases and are better in my opinion because they are bullet proof and simple. Complete set weighs only 3 ounces and there are less parts and things to go wrong in the "Bush".

3. New stock. They are many different stock makers that make a stock to accomodate your DM. They will be expensive however, but you get what you pay for. They usually make your gun shoot tighter groups and as well make it balance better and soak up recoil better. Take a look at Bell & Carlson, Bansner, Mc Millan etc. You should be able to find something in your price range.

I would personally stay away from fluting.You will end paying alot for not that much in weight loss. Other then it looking cool and making your gun "custom", the outcome compared the price is not justified in my eyes.

And if it comes down too it, just buy another rifle There are lots of great lightweight factory rifles being produced now a days that you dont have to go sinking tons of money lightening up yours. Remington makes the Model 7, the MTN Guides, MTN rifles, Kimber Montana's (a little more expensive), Savage,Ruger all make rifles that when fully dressed will weigh much less then your 7mm now.

Hope this helps-Tim
    Last edited by tjkanavel; 02-14-2008 at 10:16. Reason: spelling
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Default tikka

Although I don't have one of the tikka's (yet), I second the idea brav01 is proposing and perhaps take a look at another caliber which you may have already in mind! Bingo the collection begins.

Since the rifle has a sentimental value I would leave it as it. You could always upgrade the stock, but I wouldn't even do that. Tallys and a lighter scope should bring it about to 7.5 pounds. thats a nice weight for a magnum. thats right where my .338 sits with a FXIII 6x42 and its a joy to shoot.Might be time to cash in that Mr. Bush refund for a new lightweight rifle

I once saw a model 7 at a gun show that someone had lightened. The laminated stock looked like swiss cheese. Yup they drilled it full of half inch holes and yes it was lighter.

It had a little sign by it that said that it was being sold because it couldn't be used on windy days as it sounded like someone learning to play the flute.