Thread: Any Info On Resurrection Peninsula Goat?

Default Any Info On Resurrection Peninsula Goat?

Just drew dg 346 ress penn, was wondering if anyone had info on hunting the area. Was also wondering if its a boat only hunt or if there is any spot to hike in from the road? Thanks for the help any info would be much appreciated..

Default boat transporters

It would be easiest to hire a boat transporter from seward. There are a few of them so it shouldn't be a problem & well worth it, the walk on the road only goes so far & it can be hard to cross one of the creeks.

Default Dg346..

This is not a boat-only access hunt. It is not a problem at all to access via Exit Glacier Rd...(although, as you know...getting up to the goats may be another story). I don't think you will have a problem....glad to help a fellow hunter(esp. sheep hunter ); I am not divulging any "secret honey-hole"-it is common knowledge around here...we're all in this together.As with all these goat and sheep hunts, the hunters not up to the test are routinly weeded out.
    ....P.M. me, if you would like....and congrats on your goat permit!!
    ...from a Seward hunter.

Default Sorry, but???

Quote Originally Posted by huntsheepinak View Post
    Just drew dg 346 ress penn, was wondering if anyone had info on hunting the area. Was also wondering if its a boat only hunt or if there is any spot to hike in from the road? Thanks for the help any info would be much appreciated..
    I hope this isn't take the wrong way.....but.... you put in for a hunt without even knowing how to get into the area beforhand? Seems like that is part of the basic research before applying.

Good luck on your hunt, but I would recommend asking yourself the question you posed prior to applying just in case you end up drawing the permit only to find out you can't get to the area to hunt.

Huntsheep-

Don't let me put words in your mouth, but in regards to the above post, I would be willing to bet that you applied for this permit because it is on or close to the road system, has a high draw percentage and has the possibility of being an inexpensive hunt. I do not know what difference it makes if you research how to hunt the area before you apply or after you receive the permit. Congratulations on drawing a fine area to hunt.

The most successful way to hunt this area seems to be via boat transport. The goats sometimes come down very low (like, almost to the water kind of low) where they are easy to get at. I have never hunted this area, but have talked to several people that have hunted it successfully. I have also spotted goats from the road, near the prison. It would require some bushwacking, but it is doable in a day trip for the fast hiker.

Unless I am missing something, the Exit Glacier area that Aksheephuntress recommended is a different permit (I think DG342 is bounded on the south by the Exit Glacier road). However I am sure she could answer specific questions about the area, since she is a local.

I know this has been discussed on this forum in the past, so try a search for more information.

Best of luck -- sounds like a great hunt. Remember, research is half the fun!

Thanks for the info everyone.. just found a transporter last night sounds fairly inexpensive and reliable. first tag Ive drawn in 10 years of putting in COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!!!

Default PM Sent

My buddy and I each scored on this permit last year. I sent you a PM

Default OOps...

....Yeah, I might have gotten 342 and 346 mixed up....I am sorry!!!
    ....anyway,-if anyone needs info on the Lost Lake one, I can help you out with some general info-
    ...and good hunting!