Thread: How to Get to Jim Creek

Default How to Get to Jim Creek

Hello everybody. I'm pretty new to this. I bought a Suzuki King Quad last December and am looking for a good place to go riding. I keep hearing about Jim Creek, and I'm curious. I know it's somewhere off the Glen Hwy in the Palmer area, but how exactly do you get there? Is it completely 'untamed', or is there parking/camping area, etc?

Are there other places good for riding? I have a son who's currently riding a little Honda 50 motorcycle, so I'm also looking for someplace good for both of us to ride together, hopefully within an hour or two of Anchorage.

Is there a place to find maps, online or otherwise?

Any information anyone might have is appreciated, and thanks in advance for your time!

Default wouldn't go there

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Hello everybody. I'm pretty new to this. I bought a Suzuki King Quad last December and am looking for a good place to go riding. I keep hearing about Jim Creek, and I'm curious. I know it's somewhere off the Glen Hwy in the Palmer area, but how exactly do you get there? Is it completely 'untamed', or is there parking/camping area, etc?

Are there other places good for riding? I have a son who's currently riding a little Honda 50 motorcycle, so I'm also looking for someplace good for both of us to ride together, hopefully within an hour or two of Anchorage.

Is there a place to find maps, online or otherwise?

Any information anyone might have is appreciated, and thanks in advance for your time!

Take your kid somewhere else....too many morons riding around near jims creek.
    Sutton has better riding and ez'er.

Default Sutton conditions

I was just curious how the riding conditions are at Sutton right now? I am new to ATV'ng and have never been to Sutton to ride, but have heard great things so I am chomping at the bit to give it a shot.

If you're new to the area and ATVing, then you're going to want 1) not a lot of snow depth (which can cause you to get stuck), and 2) other people around to help you out should be get stuck, or lost.

To get to Jim Creek from Anchorage/Eagle River, basically you will follow the signs to the dragstrip (Alaska Raceway). Take the OLD Glenn Highway for about 10 miles, across the Knik bridge, and then you turn right about 2 miles down the road. From there, you'll pass the dragstrip on your right, and then about half a mile down the road you'll see two gravel parking lots on your right. You can park there.

The first few miles are jeep trails through the woods (which are often deeply rutted), and then you'll empty out onto the gravel floodplain of the Knik River. The trails run mostly along the left (northeast) side of the river. The creeks are frozen, so you may not even realize that you've crossed them. Roughly 10 miles from the parking lot the trail diverts from the gravel bar into the woods at Wolf Point, and re-emerges a few miles later. From there, the glacier is about another 10 miles up the valley.

Another option is to ride up Jim Creek to Jim Lake (something you can only do in the winter). Jim Creek is the first one you'll encounter, and which takes off to the left, just before the sand dunes.

If you stay on the gravel bar, it's pretty easy to keep track of where you are, but if you venture into the wooded trails, having a GPS along so that you can find your back out is a good idea, until you become more familiar with the area.

With the snow and ice, I wouldn't recommend having your son ride his dirt bike out there just yet. Typically the snow is gone circa late April to early June.

Other riding areas close to Anchorage are Eklutna (a trail alongside the reservoir in the state park), or Bird Creek (about 15 miles southeast of Anchorage, just off the Seward Hwy. Finally, close to Kincaid Park is a motocross track, but it's closed for the winter.

Sutton would be ok this time of the year since you will have to stay out of this area leading up to the falls (due to snow depths). Had a good friend want to go to the falls last year. Tried to talk him out of it until he had some experience riding hills. Long story short, he went out there with someone else and his wife came home with a broken leg (in 3 places) and a severly damaged machine. Eklutna (open to wheelers sun-wed) would be great ride and safe but the snow will be deep(on the back side) enough to cause you problems. Bird Creek is open to sleds now so I am assuming there is quite a bit of snow down there also.

Jim Creek will be more than ok. Yep, there are a lot of idiots out there which is why I go on weekdays. Most of the time I'll see no-one out there when I ride. Went once on a weekend and will never do that again!!
    EricL

Default Eklutna may be out

of play for you, I know they allow ATVs on the trail Sunday through Wednesday but don't think they allow bikes at all. Jim Creek is your best bet and closest with Slipper Lake up by Sutton a solid second.
    SR's directions start at the Knik River Rd turnoff from the Glenn Hwy.
    The ATV Club's new web site is coming on-line, it will have a directory of trails with directions and trail descriptions. Feel free to fall in with one of the ATV Club rides out to the glacier this spring, check the site for dates.
    And come out for the Spring Cleanup on May 17th at Jim Creek, meet a lot of folks and have some fun!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Sorry there Monkeyboy, I missed the part of the motorcycle. I think there is also a sign down at Bird Creek stating no motorcycles. Don't quote me on that, though.
    EricL

I don't think Jim Creek is bad right now during the week nor weekends for that matter. Once the snow melts and starts warming up, alot more people are gonna start heading out there thus more shooters, drunks, crazies etc on the weekends. Then I think it would be better during the week.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    I don't think Jim Creek is bad right now during the week nor weekends for that matter. Once the snow melts and starts warming up, alot more people are gonna start heading out there thus more shooters, drunks, crazies etc on the weekends. Then I think it would be better during the week.

Yeah, I live down here and not much action going on. It's always fun in the summer listening to the automatic gunfire.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    And come out for the Spring Cleanup on May 17th at Jim Creek, meet a lot of folks and have some fun!
    Mike
    A big thumbs up here!! I missed last spring (bear hunting...), but the year before I took my girls out (9, 6, and 4) along with a buddy and we had a GREAT time! Lots of drawing prizes, food, and an amazing amount of trash picked up. We really need to spread the word and have a good showing. It is a great chance to show kids just how much litter inconsiderate people leave behind as well as teaching them to help out the community.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    Take your kid somewhere else....too many morons riding around near jims creek.
    Sutton has better riding and ez'er.
    HaHa good one. Sutton has more drunks, fools, tools and juvenile deliquents burning and destroying and shooting stuff per capita than anywhere else in alaska. Not only that it's boring riding, not many trails and never worth going back a second time after you've ridden there once. You can have it

Default To each his own

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    HaHa good one. Sutton has more drunks, fools, tools and juvenile deliquents burning and destroying and shooting stuff per capita than anywhere else in alaska. Not only that it's boring riding, not many trails and never worth going back a second time after you've ridden there once. You can have it
    I don't know where you were riding.......but ok....one less person the better.
    I know the first place someone from Anchorage goes that bought their FIRST four wheeler.......Jims Creek area. Not a good place to take young children that are learning to ride!
    I had a friend that took his kid up there riding and some moron hit him with a jeep...flying down the trail out of control,...my 2 cents.
    Figured the guy asking the question was looking for solid advise, not to have someone blow smoke up his butt.

Default what about kings river

There are alot of trails up to kings river, however, some parts are a little more than "beginner" type. but if you monitor your speed, you can have fun there. most of the trails are big enough for jeeps, but you rarely see em there this time of the year. Keep an eye on snow depth, you are bound to find some places to get stuck. to get there, go a couple miles past chickaloon, if you cross kings river bridge, you missed the turn. It's on the left just before the bridge.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Im4FishnAK View Post
    There are alot of trails up to kings river, however, some parts are a little more than "beginner" type. but if you monitor your speed, you can have fun there. most of the trails are big enough for jeeps, but you rarely see em there this time of the year. Keep an eye on snow depth, you are bound to find some places to get stuck. to get there, go a couple miles past chickaloon, if you cross kings river bridge, you missed the turn. It's on the left just before the bridge.
    I think you mean a couple miles past Sutton. Kings river is before you get to Chickaloon.