View Poll Results: Whats better Aug or Oct goats?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • More day light in Aug?

10 33.33%
  • Better coats in Oct?

20 66.67%

Thread: Kodiak Goats????

Question Kodiak Goats????

I just drew a Kodiak goat permit (DG474) South island. Any suggestions out there? Whatís the best time to hunt? Early part of the season or late? I know late gets you better trophy. Any suggestions for a good air taxi? The American trial goes through that area. Can a person bring a four wheeler over and get access? I'm not afraid to walk and climb but would like to get as close as possible. Iíve hunted deer on the islands but this will be my first goat there. Any good advice I can get would be appreciated.

I think roland from sea hawk air is one of the best transporters on the island,secondly i don't think your going to see better coats in aug then you would in october... My vote is late Oct,last week of the season...good luck.....

Isn't there another month somewhere between the options??? I think I plan on going the second week of September so I can get a little better chance on weather and hopefully come out with a nice cape for mounting.

Thanks for the tip. I will call Sea Hawk.

Work won't let me hunt during September. That would be nice.

Default Get dropped high

I've hunted Kodiak twice for goats, in hunt 477 I think. We had Roland from Sea Hawk air drop us at a high mountain lake. It worked out great. We landed at 1800 feet so the deer were at our level and below and the goats were at our level and above. The first time we were there and hunting on Aug 20. We went early to try to have good weather. We got 2 goats the first 2 days. We saw lots of does and fawns but only 1 buck and we didn't get it.We also saw 1 bear. I think most of the bears were still down on the rivers eating fish. My buddy shot a 9 1/2" nanny who's coat wasn't great. I shot an 8 1/2" billy with a pretty good coat. Last year we went to the same place but in Oct. hoping for a better coat. The goats were farther away and we had to work much harder for them, and we only saw one deer which I shot. We saw 11 bears but didn't have problems with any. The weather sucked. We got weathered in and had to wait 6 yes SIX days for the plane to come get us. The wind was so strong it broke and ripped my high quality tents. We ended up getting a 9" nanny for my Bro in law. I could have shot one at the same time but we were a mountain away from camp and I knew it would be next to impossible to get 2 goats out from the place the we shot them. So I passed. Turns out a good thing as it snowed several inched that night and there's no way we could have got back to where they were. It sucked like no other while we were there, huddled in our broke down tent, (not to be confused with broke back mt.) for 48 straight hours, we vowed never to hunt Kodiak again in Oct. I might be a sissy, but if I ever go again, it'll be in Sept. Get the goats a little better coat than in Aug, but hopefully a little better weather than in Oct.

Thanks Goaty for the info!! Seems like I need to beg the boss for September.

Default October

We planned on going the first week of October last year to Kodiak but had to go later for a bunch of reasons. Flew in with Seahawk on October 12. Shot two billies on October 13. Fleshed two goat hides on October 14. Flew back to Kodiak on October 14 after a call to Rolan. Back in Anchorage at 9 AM on October 15. 72 hour hunt. I am proof fat people can kill goats. We were lucky on weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sounds like you had a great time. I love goat hunting. There are alot of goats on kodiak, have any pics? how big where the horns?

Thanks Gooch for the positive input about October. I'm leaning to go then. Iíve killed goats in Aug. with big dark rubs. Thanks for the encouragement about fat guys killing goats. Does that mean I can back off five to three days a week on the stair stepper? I am in my fortyís now and can be considered a fat guy. I'm very excited about this hunt and very much appreciate the advice. I'm thinking about bringing my 13 year old with me. He is not ready physically for some of the goat hunts Iíve been on, Lake George, Kenai mountains and Prince William Sound but folks are telling me the terrain is not as sever? What do you think? In October he could kill a black tail!! That would be cool!

the kodiak i've seen is NOTHING like lake george, kodiak actually has some spots to put a tent down and get water and shoot a goat that will stop rolling in less than 1000 feet!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I've guided several goat hunts I suggest you do not back off the stairstepper I would be in the most top condition you can if your goat hunting, you never know what you may come up against.

I am surprised that you have not received a flyer in the mail yet. I got drawn for a goat and he sent me a flyer. I think he may have made a mailing list from the winners list.

Default October Hunts

I went to the south end of the island last year on a goat hunt with a buddy. It was the first week in October. We had snow and bad weather while we were there. We were lucky to get up, get our goats and get down to the pick up point without any troubles. We basically had one day of hunting that allowed us to get to the goats. There was too much snow and ice to get to them the other days we were up there.
    I haven't hunted goats over here in August, but plan to this year so I can take my daughter(only 10) with me. The longer you wait, the less chance you have of being flown into the alpine lakes. It would be quite a haul to go up from the saltwater with a young kid if he isn't pretty physically prepared. More gear the later you got to try to stay warmer. On the other hand, I already have a nice mount so not to worried about that.

Gary

I got the Flyer Saturday.

I got drawn for this. How'd you make out??