Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FREE hi-powered rifle

Default FREE hi-powered rifle

Completely identify this rifle, where it was found, whatever was w/ it (if anything), etc, and you can have it back. That is FOB Fairbanks, and no, I probably won't take the scope off and mail only that to you, as that is going to be a chore. Well, maybe... Yes, the gun is worthless, and I already stole the strap that was on it (finder's fee, but if you whine I'll give it back) but the scope actually seems to work just fine. That is a great testament to the manufacturer, IMO. If the scope needs tweaking, perhaps the manufacturer will do that for the cost of mailing it in; dunno. PM or email me at jolinak@gci.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default second photo

is this helpful?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You should call the troopers and find out if some one reported it stolen

To my untrained eyes that rifle appears to be loaded with the safety on.

Last edited by Water_Gremlin; 02-13-2008 at 23:21. Reason: Mly EEK doesn't work. :eek:

Default will try

If I can find a serial number, I will contact troopers. The circumstances surrounding its discovery do not point to theft, though. As for loaded, I don't know. I am going to try to get the bolt to work, but I don't think that will happen until the scope comes off and I can get serious w/ it. Of course, using a grinder/torch/etc will require some extra cautions, as the round in it (if there is one) could still be hot. I hope I can find whoever is aware that they are missing said rifle and they can deal w/ it or tell me to. It ain't worth a lot, but maybe someone would just like to get it back for kicks/conversation piece/whatever. OWNER: ARE YOU OUT THERE?

Huh. It's not mine but I sure would like to hear the story sometime about how you came across it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I am with Snyd on wanting to hear that story it has to be interesting. Not many rifles or pistols are found in the winter in Alaska.

A little WD-40 and good as new....
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Cleaning rod

Take a cleaning rod and insert from the bore. Mark where it ends and then hold it alongside the rifle to see where it stopped. You should be able to determine if a round in in there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Can you open the floorplate? That would be a sure way to tell if it's loaded.

Default good ideas

Thnx. When I get time I'll check into all these suggestions. Don't know if the bore is open much. BTW: I never said I found it in the winter. Hope the original owner pops up; I am sure he/she has a tail to tell. Thanks for input. j

Send it back to Remington and see if they will give you a new one under warranty
    Tennessee

Default funny guy

Wolfe: Funny guy! "Dear Rem: I had this out in the rain for ONE DAY...." At least we all know now that it is a Rem; not from Lake Louise, the Hulahula or any of those. Closer to Fairbanks. Maybe the owner does not read this forum (shame on him/her) so I will probably put an ad in the New Minus, too. SOMEBODY must know somebody.... j

Default Not Valdez, either.

MUCH, much closer to Fairbanks. Not an '06, either. Sorry to hear of yet another guy who lost gear, but at least lived happily thereafter. j

Opening the floor plate would not insure that the rifle is not loaded.
    just my .02.

Talking I always wondered......

I lost that a year ago during a rhino hunt! Our guide was attacked by an abominable snowman and I dropped it in the confusion. I'll send you my address soon.

Default OK, I quit.

As I don't want to sound like I am playing games, here is the skinny. While floating the Chena last fall, I looked behind me to check out a small cut I had just floated past. I saw a bright yellow object, so I beached to check it out. There, in a little bit of back wash, was a Gun Boat with a Rem 300 Win Mag in it. Ironically, next to it lay a small moose rack, one side. There was also a cleaning rod, 3 pc, in the case and a box of ammo. The Boat was toast, but I took the whole mess to get it out of the river. About a mile downstream, I found a gray Sevylar (sp?) raft tangled in a wad of trees and Chitina caught by a downed tree. I took it to the dump. So there you have it. If anyone knows anyone (who survived) who lost this, let me know. The scope is a Leupold 2-7 power VX-II or something like that. It is reasonably clear and the zoom works. The only thing not working on it is the nut that secures the eye piece on the back (forget its name), but a little Kroil and time will probably loosen it. If no one claims this soon, I'll try to get the scope off w/out damage and see if our friends at Leupold will "scope it out" (sick. sorry).

Default Rhino hunt?

I was blowing a huge, loud whistle downtown last summer, and a fish-cop came by and asked me just what the hey I was doing. I said "I'm chasing away rhinos." When the cop informed me that there aren't any rhinos within a few thousand miles of me, I said "Then me and whistle are doing pretty dang good, aren't we?" So, good luck finding rhinos nearby.

From the story, I wonder if somebody who is missing (and probably dead) was the original owner or user of the boats and gear?

You may be the only one who has some clue as to what happened to somebodies husband, son, or brother....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Nitroman, send this dude some of your new oil!

I bet looking down the bore on the old girl would be on par with a Rock Hudson colonoscopy!

Something makes me think that the feller what lost that gun is no longer amongst us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast