Thread: what kind of vessel and how far?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default what kind of vessel and how far?

i run a 21 foot northriver commander inboard 350 with a hami 212. run out of whittier mostly and regularly hit the south end of knight and gulf side of ellrington. all weather permitting of course. looking to spend time around green this year.

everyone afraid of giving up there fishing hole? no need to be specific, why is this thread so threatining to everyone? 90 views and not one reply?

Default Fishing Spots

People will tell you how to catch fish but they do not want to tell you their own personal spots. Fishing in Prince William Sound is really tough. Many years ago around 1992 I told another charter boat where I was catching fish because I thought I was doing the right thing. The next weekend I went out to my spot there where 20 or more boats sitting in that area. My buddy told his friends and that was it. With all of the mapping GPS and chart plots you should not need much help. Get your self a note book write the time, date, location, and check you tide book. Use different jigs, spoons, and bait. Remember rock fish like rocks, orange rock fish like jigs, and halibut will feed on what ever is available. I also have a Garmin and the mapping software so I can dream of places that I want to fish this summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you want to catch halibut on a consistent basis then tow your boat to Homer.
    It really doesnt matter if you drive to Whittier, Seward or Homer. Because by the time you are in good fishing waters it all equals out in terms of fuel spent either on the truck or boat or driving time in your truck and running time in your boat.
    By the time you leave Eagle River it is going to take 5-6 hours to get into decent halibut action.
    You either need to put the time in your truck or on your boat.
    Tennessee

I don't think akriverrat was looking for anyone's fishing spot, just a discussion on how far people like to go out in their boat. I have a 22' Hewescraft searunner (Yamaha 115 4-st.) that I took to the south side of PWS several times last summer. I used to fish Homer exclusively. If I want to catch halibut, I'll go to homer, but if I want to have a good time, I'll go to PWS. I had no problem limiting out several times last year in my secret spot in PWS however.

I too love PWS and go just about anywhere I feel like going in my CD-22. But, I don't go out when it is crummy.... I have found that there are good places to catch halibut even close to Whittier if you are willing to go much deeper than you would in lower Cook Inlet. I have found the same to be true in Seward and caught many limits within sight distance of the city RV park. Don't get me wrong - they aren't huge, but 15-30 pounders make great table fare. If the schools of cod are in the head of the bay, so are the butts. Last year in August the cod were in there thick, and IF you could get your bait past the cod, you would almost certainly catch a smallish halibut. Once again, follow the feed and you will find them.

I think that a really good whitewater riverboat like your would be really good in the ocean. Tons of power, stable, and really tough. The only thing that may be a limiting factor is lack of freeboard and an open bow. But, I assume that you are going to go out when it is nice, not when they predict 6 foot seas. I have been in those.....in a cd22 it turns into a slow and long trip. Thank god for the wallas, and a good (but little) v-birth.

i am happy with my boat in prince william sound and travel to the south side of knight with a stop in at main bay if the reds are in. it serves the purpose but believe me i would have a bigger boat if i could afford it. the jet boat does fine in flatter water but three footers makes it uncomfortable and i dont do fives and sixes. been there and its not fun. someday ill have my bigger boat but this one will do for now.

A bigger boat? Yeap I'd love one, but I'm sticking with the cd22 for now as I already have a small river boat. I've never felt unsafe in the c-dory - not fast, no way, but dry, yep, and stable yep, and ok in 6 footers yep....the only thing i really hate about it is no frigging fish box. Oh well...... I would love to have a river boat like yours for the valley. A great boat for there...maybe we should hook up?

akriverrat,Thanks for posting and asking the question. I live in ER and bought the same boat last fall. I broke it in at Big Lake and then ran out of time for anything else. I wanted a boat mainly for bowhunting but I also hoped that I could take it out on PWS for bear and maybe Homer for halibut. Fishing ain't much fun with more than 3 ft seas anyway so I only plan to go in good weather. I was told this boat was about as close to a one-boat-does-it-all that I could get. I'm looking forward to testing that theory. I think my biggest hurdle will be staying off the sand bars. 3000# ain't easy to drag.

and that 3000# is your dry weight. not sure how much stuff you carry but it all adds up quick with 70 gallons of gas on board too. i dont like to push my boat in the skinny stuff too much. before i had this northriver i had the sportjon and got all that out of my system. make sure you carry recovery equipment and there are very helpful people on the big su if you find yourself high and dry.

PWS is very doable in your boat you jsut have to watch the weather and make sound decisions. the chop is close and can come at you in different directions. as long as you dont get in a hurry and pull over when it gets crappy you will be fine. you can pm me if you have any questions about PWS. good luck in your adventures this year i plan on being out there for bear too this year.

22 ft jet boat and I have covered a lot of the sound mostly from Valdez and one launching from Whittier. Explored most of Hinchinbrook Island out to the entrance light house, all of Port Fidalgo, some of Port Gravina, most bays from Valdez west to Whittier, South from Whittier to Eshamy, Halfway down both sides of Knight, Naked, Smith, and a few more. Will hit a few more new spots this summer that are on the list of must see - So many bays and so little time!

One thing for sure: Prince William Sound really looks small on the State of Alaska Map, but sure is big in a little boat. I am looking forward to launching soon. Probably go to Seward first to try for some kings. UAlways had luck there. And it is just luck as I don't have the slightest clue as to what I am doing from everything that I have read. I'll be down in Seward as soon as the middle of March trying to hit em. It is slow compared to silver season, but way better than sitting at home. I sure do love those Wallas stoves.....

Glad to see I won't be the only jet boat out there. Do ya'll carry extra fuel? How do you flush your sytem afterwards? I figure I'll dunk mine in a lake on the way home. The kit is $250 but I'm not sure the garden hose will carry enough water to keep the bearings wet. I don't want to risk it.

coming back from whittier there is a lake-pond you can dunk into at about four miles from the highway on the right. i back my boat in and run it for about ten minutes. couple times there had been a huge motorhome right in front of the launch site but mostly its open. be careful the only spot you can back into jsut enough to get your ***** end in and if you try anywhere else its a pretty steep drop off. recovery would be an issue if you tried enywhere else.

Default all over

We take our 26' Hewescraft Alaskan Sea Runner to Cook Inlet, parts of PWS and to Montague. Also, down the Yukon and up the Koyukuk, about a 1,000 miles round trip. Right now my boat looks like the world's biggest ice cube. I have Spring Fever.