Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halibut technique ideas

Default Halibut technique ideas

Cabin/fishing fever is at its peak. Lets talk fishing!!
    I have been thinking a lot about halibut tactics. Got some ideas and wondered if anyone else has had them too or maybe even tried them already.

1. Noise attractors. We sometimes try to "clunk" our lead ball on the bottom to bring 'em in. Sound is known to attract fish in some situations, but what about halibut? Does it work or scare them off? Could we bring in fish that might be upcurrent of our bait by attaching a small bell to the mainline. How about a rattle made of 6" of copper pipe, with marbles or ball bearings inside, caps soldered on, clipped to the mainline. Or instead of a lead weights which are getting really expensive anyway, use short sections of heavy chain which would rattle when jigged or drifted along the bottom. In deeper water or more current, clip on another section. They might be more prone to hang up.

2. Lights. I know some have used lightsticks and there is mixed opinions about their effectiveness. This could be due to water clarity. How far can a halibut see 100,200,300 ft. down if the water is relatively clear? How about those blinky lights on squidjig.com. I used them on one trip in PWS last year and got a few more hookups than my buddy, but he did catch the 80 lb'er. They are more of a strobe than the glow of the lightsticks. Has anyone else used them?

3. Chum. Is it worth it. If so, how do you dispense it and what do you use. Fresh or tainted, salmon guts or herring, pet food, etc? Seems like a guy could have a small bucket with holes punched in it attached to the anchor line filled with whatever. Seems like it could only help.

Anyway it would be fun to hear your ideas, even if its to tell me I'm thinking too much. Its either this or work on my taxes.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

chum has to work to some extent but i sure hate bring it back into the boat if i decide to move and it a giant spewing river of salt water, herring oil and salmon parts.

Question They not that smart!!!

Had a school of Halibut under my boat last summer, so I grabbed a herring baited 16/0 and a 2 lb lead and held it over the side, the stupid Halibut bit the lead over and over! Finally one went for the bait.... blew me away!!
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

That may explain some of those times when you know you had a strike, but your herring doesn't even have a tooth mark on it.

That must have been in real shallow water where you could actually see the fish biting the weight?

Red face Pukers

It was in about 150' of water, but at near slack tide the Halibut follow other hooked fish on the way up, the hooked fish puke up thier stomach contents on the way up and the followers feed on it.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default What works

What works? Being in the right place at the right time. Know how to read a tide book
    Chumming works some times and other times all it attrackes is junk fish. Being in the right location works better. The best Charter Captain in Prince William Sound is Dave Bruss and he goes not chum. He keeps records on times, dates, and places that he has fished and he knows what he is doing. Me I do both!
    Lights and rattles. Any thing that gives movement is good. Buy some good jigs and leave the other junk at home. I have had people fish with lights and rattles they did no better than people with bait. When you use a good jig along with bait you have your bases covered.

Default strobe lights

I did quite a bit of testing with the blinking lights from B&J Commercial last year. There was absolutely no doubt that they work better than bait alone. I just use a snap swivel and attach them to the trianglur leader I use.
    The triangular leaders are great too. they keep the weight and bait seperate and they give yoy a great hand hold when landing the fish.

Be willing to try new things. UI use bait allot along with jigging. I have been out there many of times where the bite was very slow on bait. I threw a jig down there an WHAM fish on.. Next thing you know all the rods with bait had fish on. Sometimes when it's slow that jig down there get them excited and in the feeding mode. Also had times where I could not by a bite on the jig and the bait out fished the jigs.
    Be willing to spend a whole day of trying new areas. This will payoff in the long run. Over the winter I spent many hours study maps choosing new areas to try.
    I'm still holding judgement on flashers/glo sticks for halibut.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

i work on a fishing boat out of seward. we used tons of chum. every fish we brought up has a belly full. The best way to get the chum to the bottom dump it in a brown paper bag. and tie the top, send it down with a normal hook and lead. get it to the bottom and the set the hook several times it works like a bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    i work on a fishing boat out of seward. we used tons of chum. every fish we brought up has a belly full. The best way to get the chum to the bottom dump it in a brown paper bag. and tie the top, send it down with a normal hook and lead. get it to the bottom and the set the hook several times it works like a bomb.
    I've tried that 3 times... once the whole bag and mess o' guts just blew away in the heavy current. After the first drop, it was about 1/4 mile away and useless.

The other 2 times I got cited (one warning, one citation) for littering... not too costly, but annoying nonetheless!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I know I sent the halibut into a feedy frenzy one time by using salmon egg skiens. I went to one of the fish carcass trash bins and it was full of salmon carcasses including the eggs. I grabbed several skiens of eggs and took them with me on the halibut charter.

Every time I baited my hook with a herring I put a whole skien of eggs on it too. I would drop it to the bottom and always had a bite right quick. I would set the hook with a steady pull of the rod like you are supposed to with circle hooks like I was using. If I didnt get the fish I would just hold where I was and would not have to drop it back down. I could get six or seven tries to hook the fish until I did hook it. Sometimes I would have easily reeled up about 30 feet off the bottom. Pretty much I would quickly get bites til I finally would hook one.

I am sure the eggs fell off very fast but the halibut were crazy for my bait. I was catching them at an incredibly faster rate than anyone else in the boat at least until my half bucket of eggs ran out. After the first couple fish I started sharing the eggs with the boss as we were on a company trip .
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

find them, don't rely on them finding you...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    find them, don't rely on them finding you...
    I would have to second that...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

We Like To Using Our Big Plastic Baits, Drifting Over Structure..

I like to troll for them with downriggers. Sounds nuts I know, but I do pretty well - especially in cook inlet where it is realitively shallow. It sure opens the door to halibut and light gear. It does take some coordination between the person at the helm and the guys fishing as it can get really shallow in a hurry. In all seriousness, there is nothing like bringing a 50 pound halibut in on a silver pole. It is crazy and is is huge battle. I suggest everyone should try it at least once.

i always use a jig for the hour or two around the slack tide. i don't think i've ever been out there and not caught more fish than the rest of my extremely stubborn family, who refuses to use a jig rod and insists on doing it the traditional way with lead and herring. you have to weed through a few small ones, but when fishing in relatively shallow water (~100 ft) it's really not a problem. The big ones eat jigs too. I use all kinds of big metal jigs and lots of plastic variations as well. they all seem to work, some a bit better than others. i use the big plastics with a heavy jig head when the tide is moving, then switch to a smaller metal or plastic during the slack. most of the time you can hardly get it to the bottom without having a fish on.

I've also done the downrigger trolling thing for halibut and it does work well, but for me it's a bit troublesome... i also had to weed through lots of small ones this way, and went through a ton of bait as well... fun though.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I just cut and salt herring before going out and a lot of times I'll use sculpins that I catch.

I rarely fish in water more than 150' deep. What I basically do is drop the bait over the side and occasionally jig it up and down a few times every few minutes.

Of course those of us with SHARC cards just bait up a skate of hooks and drop it off and come back in a few hours to collect the catch when we want efficiency.
    Now what ?

I started fishing light tackle and using jigs around 5 years ago. Since then my catch rate has gone up tremendously. Finding the right color that works consistently is what took the longest. On my boat in the past 5 years, being the only person that consistently uses jigs. I have boated 8 or 10 fish over 100 lbs on small/medium jigs. Not a single fish over 100 lbs on bait. Or over 75 lbs for that matter. I have just as many if not more over 50 lbs. The people that come with me most regularly (my parents) can't seem to stay away from the bait. So I just let them attract the fish in and I reap all the benefits. Oh yeah, started out fishing 20 lb mono, now fish 30 lb braid. Have never broken a single halibut off on my main line in that 5 years. Just occasionally pulling a small fish over by the 50 lb mono leader and having it break. Jigs are where it's at. I'm going to try making some lures this year or painting some jig heads. See if it will produce even better.

What size jig heads is everyone using? I just stick to the 24oz. when going after halibut.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i use the 20"s and 16's mostly. i dont like jig heads much for halibut as i have quite a few misses, but they sure to take the lings real well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast