Thread: 375 Ruger Scope Ideas

Default 375 Ruger Scope Ideas

Greetings all - I guess this is my first post? I can't quite recall.

I'm looking for advice on scopes for the 375 Ruger Alaskan (Stainless Matte Finish). I've been searching this forum on the subject, and it seems common recommendations are 1.5x5, 1.75x6, etc of various manufacture.

Venturing out across the web on my own armed with this new info, I came upon the Leupold VMIII Series. This was winning my interest...

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...i-1-75-6x32mm/

..until I realized very few of their scopes come in the Silver or Gun Metal which would match the Ruger stainless nicely. Looking at Nikon, and on the higher ends Zeiss / Kahles seemed to confirm that matte black is the standard.

Can anyone point me in the direction of scopes with a finish appropriate for the Ruger stainless and that (obviously) match the gun and the round?

While it may seem silly to worry about cosmetics, I like to get my firearms just right. For the money involved, I want it all!

I'm planning a trip to Alaska from Ohio this August, and am enjoying the planning as much as I will the trip I'm sure!

Thanks in advance.

Well, enough time has passed I've found at least one answer to my own question... the Leupold Custom shop will apparently take care of it for an extra $150.

https://secure.leupold.com/customshop/custom_shop.php

I have a Sako .375 H&H and have shot "off" 2 different mounts. The mounts/rings couldn't hold the 50mm obj scope on the rifle. I ended up destroying a Burris 4X12, I now have a Leupold VX-III 1.75X6 with Warne mounts/rings and it works GREAT!. Get REALLY GOOD (STRONG) Rings/Mounts for whatever you put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaKodiak View Post
    I have a Sako .375 H&H and have shot "off" 2 different mounts. The mounts/rings couldn't hold the 50mm obj scope on the rifle. I ended up destroying a Burris 4X12, I now have a Leupold VX-III 1.75X6 with Warne mounts/rings and it works GREAT!. Get REALLY GOOD (STRONG) Rings/Mounts for whatever you put on it.
    That sounds good, I am settling in on that exact scope actually (the Leupold). Debating whether to get the quick release mounts or not, I know they do get good reviews on this site... your thoughts? Are there really times you take it off for "walking around" purposes and feel better about open sights for that particular situation?

Bahnstoermer,have you considered the VXlll 2.5-8x36mm which is available in a silver finish? It only weighs 2/10ths more than the 1.75-6 VXlll,it's available with either the std duplex or B+C reticle. Of course there's the custom shop with an assortment of reticle.

til later

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnstoermer View Post
    That sounds good, I am settling in on that exact scope actually (the Leupold). Debating whether to get the quick release mounts or not, I know they do get good reviews on this site... your thoughts? Are there really times you take it off for "walking around" purposes and feel better about open sights for that particular situation?
    I am interested in maintaining accuracy, and wouldn't want the removable mounts. On 1.75 power its pretty close to open sights, any closer you won't need to aim just point the barrel ;-) my 2 cents

I've got a 1.75-6 VXlll in low mounts on my rifle. At 4x I can see the end of the barrel in the scope. At 1.75x the end of the barrel sits 1/3 of the way up from the bottom on the vertical reticle. Now this rifle has no open sights so I temporarily taped a front sight on. At 6x the sight is a slight blur at the bottom of the scope. At 1.75x the top of the sight sits 3/4 of the way up from the bottom on the vertical reticle. My barrel is a 24" magnum contour one.The stock is a Brown Precs. with a slightly above straight comb. If a barrel were thicker, shorter,and had open sights I believe you would see alot more of the sight. Seeing my barrel in the scope is no problem for me and if I were to use higher rings/bases it would cause me to have to lift my face off the stock some. I don't know if this would just be an annoyance or would be cause for concern for your type of hunting but I figured I'd just give you a heads up on it.

til later

Thumbs up Ruger AK

I put a Leupold 1.5x5 Matte in Warne QR rings on my 375 Ruger.

All right, thanks for the replies. The reasons I'm going with the 1.75 is that I'd like to keep the low end magnification low without going to the very small objective on the 1.5x, and it seems most choose the 1.75 over the 2.5 on a 375?

Obviously 300S&W is fine starting at 2.5, other thoughts?

It would be nice not to have to pay extra dollars for the proper finish, but I think the 2.5x is probably a little more to start with than the 1.75 so it's probably not that big a deal, not more than choosing the "right" scope to be certain.

Thinking about it, maybe I will stick with the standard Ruger rings unless I do end up with a 2.5x. It seems then that a 1.75 w/o quick release mounts or 2.5x with would be the remaining options.

Called Bass Pro to get lead times on both of these, shouldn't be too long until placing the order. Lead time, on the Leupold custom shop especially, could be quite a different thing.

This weeks update... ordered the Ruger from a local shop, still deciding on the scope because the Leupold custom shop told me it would be 12-14 weeks for a custom finish on the 1.75x. SO... probably going to the 2.5x to get it in on time. Hopefully it still works well enough for the tighter cover areas...

I don't see your reasoning in having and aluminum scope body bead blasted to remove the protective finish?

But then I never cared much for being color coordinated either.

The game you will be hunting will not have anything to say about it and probably won't even care.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default scope for 375 Ruger

My pet hunting rifle is a 8# all up 330 Dakota wearing a 1.5X5 Leupold. When I first completed the rifle, I bought a Swarovski 2.5 X 10 (1") for it. Nice scope, but I didn't like it. I seemed happiest with it set on 6X for shooting targets. And in the woods, I kept it on the 2.5X setting. One season with it and I bought another 1.5 X 5 Leupold .... that's the range of magnification that does what I find necessary for most Alaskan hunting. I've shot caribou at ranges of up to 350 yards on 5X .... comfortably. My moose hunting has involved shots of 30 to 190 yards, and is usually in brushy, riparian country. My favorite 30/06 (M70, SS, kevlar stock) wears a 1.75 X 6 Leupold (original, short tube). I see no need for higher magnification scopes, particularly on a 375 Ruger. After all, it's not a sniper rifle or intended for prairie dog shooting at long range. Bear encounters in Alaska usually happen at close range. The premier, most proven scope found on the dangerous game rifles of guides all over the world is the 1.5X5 Leupold. Durable, light and quick, what's not to like? As always, K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. (My motto.)

As to the color of the scope, all mine are Leupold's matte finish, which I prefer, regardless if the rifle is blued, or stainless. I even use matte rings. Would never blast the finish on a scope. they cost too much to render unable to resist corrosion. Is your Ruger the Alaskan or African model. I ask because the Alaskan has good back up iron sights, which I prefer on my rifles. New England Custom Guns has a trick receiver sight that clamps to the rear scope base for Rugers .... a nice addition to an Alaskan rifle. Happy trails.

Thanks for the posts guys... I just got back from picking the gun up. The stock is actually quite close to black, I was thinking it was a dark gray but this is not really the case. The "stainless matte" is a dark gray.

Regarding finish, are you saying the Leupold custom shop doesn't have a protective finish on it's custom finish scopes? I will have to investigate... after seeing the gun, the scope could go matte black or dark gray, either one is possible I believe.

Can't wait to get out and shoot the thing, too bad the ammo didn't come in with the gun

Oh, and it's the Alaskan model. Thanks for the thoughts on the low magnification too. I will check out the N.E. Custom Guns part as well. Exciting to have a new rifle!

1.5-6X42 Schmidt and Bender Zenith - Makes Swarovksi and Ziess look like a Tasco...Plus you can get them online for only $1600 as compared to the $2200.00 price tag some places have them for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnstoermer View Post
    Thanks for the posts guys... I just got back from picking the gun up. The stock is actually quite close to black, I was thinking it was a dark gray but this is not really the case. The "stainless matte" is a dark gray.

Regarding finish, are you saying the Leupold custom shop doesn't have a protective finish on it's custom finish scopes? I will have to investigate... after seeing the gun, the scope could go matte black or dark gray, either one is possible I believe.

Can't wait to get out and shoot the thing, too bad the ammo didn't come in with the gun

Oh, and it's the Alaskan model. Thanks for the thoughts on the low magnification too. I will check out the N.E. Custom Guns part as well. Exciting to have a new rifle!
    It should look something like mine:

Here is a test for close hunting that you can do anywhere. Unload your rifle, remove bolt. Turn to lowest power setting, look at your feet through the scope. Can you see your foot clearly? That is what you want for any dangerous game scope.

As to the S&B scope, I have been a long time proponent of the use of S&B. They are leaps and bounds ahead of all other makers.

That picture of your pair of rifles, is sure pretty.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Matt, somehow that's the first picture I've been able to find with something mounted on top of the Alaskan model.

I decided to gamble and order the Gunmetal Gray finish from the Leupold custom shop in the 1.75-6 VXIII. I say gamble mostly on the lead time, slightly lesser so on the color. Hopefully it comes out nice, and hopefully it comes in time!

Thumbs up 375 Ruger

N.E.C.G. also makes fiberoptics front sight blades, as do Williams and Lyman. Paired with the afore mentioned N.E.C.G. receiver sight, they are a great combo. Even my tired, old eyes can shoot well with this outfit.