Thread: Predator Hunting Seminar

Default Predator Hunting Seminar

When: Saturday, Feb 23rd 9am-1pm
    Where: Egan Convention center (Lower Level)
    Cost: $20.00
    Speaker: Rick Kinmon, Author of "Hunting the Hunters"
    Sponsored by AK Chapter S.C.I. and ADF&G
    Tickets available @ ADF&G, Sportsman's Warehouse and Mt. View Sports or at the door.

I attended the same seminar in Wasilla a few weeks back and it was free...... Good info and worth your time IMO.

Default Predator Hunting Clinic

I forgot to add: Skinning demonstration by Russ Knight, great door prizes and the SCI taxidermy show.

informative bump

Tuesday bump

Thursday bump

Is there the traditional bear hunt seminar this weekend too?

No, not this year

LR

they are holding a free one on base next week for those with base access.

Default Not so good IMO.

Went to the free seminar in Fairbanks, and it was terrible. He shows a decent bear hunting video from his guiding service which is about 40 min in length. He then talked about a sporting group he has an interest in, and had a speaker from the wild sheep foundation. I'm all for joining groups, as I am a member in a few, and for discussing sheep issues, due to my interest in sheep hunting, but felt it was not the right venue. Again this is MO. I found about 5-6 min of useful information in the 2.5 hours I was there. Oh by the way he'll also try to sell you on some magic, toxic cleansing diet pills! That will burn another 15-20 mins of your time at the end of the seminar. It would have been great if it was 2.5 hours of actual predator hunting information. I went with a friend who invited me, and when we walked outside after the seminar, he looked at me and said, “That was interesting!” I said, “Sure was.” We shook hands and parted ways without another word. Not trying to be a complete jerk, the seminar was free after all, it’s just I thought with his experience predator hunting, there would have been much more information on the topic.

Does anyone have details about the one on base? Where and when?

Thanks

Default Agree

I have to agree with Hoyte as to worthwhile info. Went to the free seminar at the Wasilla gun show. I was totally pumped to pick up some great info on the subject as it was 2-1/2 hours. There was good info on preditor hunting (10-15minutes worth) but if you want to push pills and an agenda (this is a worthy agenda by the way and I did join with greenbacks) maybe you should present it as something other than a "Preditor Hunting Seminar".
    Also read the book which was okay.
    Bottom line, if you want to learn about preditor hunting in Alaska read all you can about the subject and go out and learn by doing.
    Don't be surprised if the seminar is not all you thought it would be.

Who went, and how did it go? I decided to skip out. If the seminar went along the lines of the one in the valley it wouldn't be worth my time, especially after I just read his book. Rick even put a plug for the diet pills in his book.

The seminar started just after 9 showing the video mentioned earlier (decent video, but I've seen it or parts of it before, still worth seeing). After that there was a short (~15 min) slide show on The Sportsman for Wildlife, which a person can never complain about another organization getting involved in protecting hunting rights and improving game populations http://www.sfwalaska.org/. I threw in $30 bucks to their annual membership, just like I have for many other programs. Rick then went through a group of slides and talked about his hunting experiences and had a good calling demonstration (all good stuff). He then showed some recent video footage of calling in a coyote from earlier in the week which he brought in and Russ Knight from Knights Taxidermy http://www.knightstaxidermy.com/ skinned including showing how to split lips, remove knuckles, etc...

All good stuff I thought, out front with signed copies of his books he did have the pamphlets on the diet stuff but he talked very briefly at the closing reference the stuff. Lets face it if we all lost 10 or more lbs we probably would be better hunters. Some choose diet stuff some choose exercise, some a combination of all, whatever I thought but I have no complaints on the seminar. Having been to Joe Want's talk (a very good seminar too) on bear hunting during the SCI weekend a couple of times it was nice to attend something new and his talk on predators is the first one I've seen. Rick diffidently has some experiences and has put considerable time and effort into hunting predators, I enjoyed listening to him.

Default Seminar

AKfishon,
    Sounds as if you got a way better seminar than we did in Fairbanks.

I agree wth you RS! I bought the guys book and never learned anything! Ohh, yeah I learned to buy the fastest snowmachine you can get and run down wolves. I am all for wolf hunting, but please don't call it predator hunting!

Default Secret

I did expect to pick up some really good tips in the seminar and just like the book I was somewhat disappointed. He has a pretty big build up in the book that led me to think that the next pg. was going to drop the bombshell on the secret method for hunting wolves which is why I personally bought the book. I kept thinking the next chapter was going to reveal something big. I guess that is where my disappointment came. No big secret to look for tracks in the fresh snow crossing the road. Lots of miles in the truck and lots of caffein. Lots of snowmachining and glassing. Bottom line, lots of hard work if you want to be consistant killing wolves and other preditors in Alaska which Rick is. He's successful because he's persistant and works hard at it. That's the secret. He didn't come out and say that but then that doesn't sell books and doesn't get people to come to seminars. That's what I think. Others may not agree.
    Also, I don't think you have to have the fastest snowmachine to run down wolves but a newer reliable machine that'll work in alot of different terrain and conditions is important I think. Not to heavy so you can get it unstuck by yourself quickly doesn't hurt either. And good fuel mileage would be a big plus as well. Maybe one of the new Skidoo 600 Summits with the E-Tech technology. Light, fast, comfortable to ride, and good on fuel at low speeds but has the right stuff when you need it. Could even paint that baby winter camo.

I agree with you too Mtmn. Trust me if I didn't work and had the time you can bet I wouldn't mind going after fur. I also know that gas prices are not getting any easier, and how far do you travel and try just to break even. I don't care if I make a dime really, but I can't lose any on a regular basis either.

I am sure Rick is a great hunter. I am not taking that away from the guy. I just think you when you put together a predator hunting book you should at least cover calling, set ups, and good winter tactics.