Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What sleeping bag for a backpack sheep hunt?

Default What sleeping bag for a backpack sheep hunt?

What bag do you use when weight and space are factors?? I will be hunting in the Brooks Range in mid August.

20-30 degree bag would work, made with synthetic material...I used a slumberjack w/ prolite4 pad from mid August thru Mid Sept until I completed my Moose hunt, I was north and south side in the Brooks range for a whole month or so.....CK

Default hunting sleeping bags

...The absolute lightest in weight possible; 0 degree bag is what I like. If you are tall, make sure it is long enough, and can include your head/face( I just personally like that).
    I like to use my hunt coat as a pillow, and have my extra/change of clothes (if I need it next a.m.)in my bag during the night.
    ...does anybody know if they make high quality,arctic bags that don't weigh much,that also zip together????We have been looking for a while.Hey...if they do, that's a good way to get your signif. other to go hunting with you!

Go talk to Marc Taylor at Wiggy's! Alaska and have him show you the Glacier Hunter 15 degree bag, weighs in at 3 lbs. I think the Mountain Hunter weighs 3.5 and I believe is a 0 degree bag. I don't think you really need a 0 degree bag in August.

Default 20 degree bag

I know we all sleep differently, but I have a 20 degree north face cats meow that I can't even zip up in August or most of September for that matter. I just sleep with it over me. There might be a need later in Sept. if it got cold, but with good fleece clothes, a 20 degree bag will do you good.

+1 on Wiggy's

Default Clarification:

Wiggy's-Alaska's Mountain Hunter Bag is a 25-degree bag. Weight varies by size; between 2#11 and 3#.

Wiggy's-Alaska's Glacier Hunter Bag is a 15-degree bag. Weighs 3#4 to 3#9.

Thanks, guys.

Taylor

I was shocked it took so long for Wiggys to me mentioned as they are the cats ***** if you ask me.

You can have the rest.

Thumbs up Cabelas Boundary Waters bag....

I have floated two of the lower Noatak tribs about 80 miles north of Kotz. If that is the area you are going, send me a pm or email and I will give you some info and send you some pictures. I was there in mid-late August on both trips. I would suggest a zero degree bag. I had a 20 degree and got by, but on a few nights had wished I had a zero. We had 1/4" of ice in the dishes on a few mornings and the weather can change quickly. I recently upgraded my bags and could not be more pleased. I got the Cabelas Boundary Waters. The long zero degree weighs 3 lbs and pack to the size of a basketball. I used it on a SW Alaska float this past Sept. Very warm and comfortable bag. It comes with a high quality compression dry bag. I am floating another NW Alaska river about 100 miles above Kotz in Sept. Glad this bag will be going. Take a look.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...dary&noImage=0
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I know we all sleep differently, but I have a 20 degree north face cats meow that I can't even zip up in August or most of September for that matter. I just sleep with it over me. There might be a need later in Sept. if it got cold, but with good fleece clothes, a 20 degree bag will do you good.

I use the exact same bag and feel the same way. I usually have to leave it un-zipped most of the time. I did bring a liner with me on my Goat hunt this fall and just laid it over me when I fell asleep, ended up taking it off half-way through the night.

In other words, I really like it. Lightweight, compact and warm.

Hope this helps-Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Default TNF

TNF Cat's Meow is what I have used. Pretty good bag, great price. ~$120.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

I've got a TNF Cat's Meow also. Thinking about getting one of those 7oz cover/bivys to slip it in along with my Big Agnes Insulated Air core mummy pad to keep from sliding around. Then if I ever talk myself in to a down bag I'll have the cover/bivy.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Well with the bivy you're half way there Snyd. lol

Default Cabela's Trekker...

Years ago I was searching for a sleeping bag and wanted something lightweight, 0 degree or colder and inexpensive. I was a little leary about buying a bag this inexpensive as I figure you get what you pay for, but I was pleasantly surprised. The first hunt I took it on was an October goat hunt out of Juneau and we were snowed in for 3 of the 4 days. This bag kept me plenty warm, but was a little small as I ordered the regular 20 below bag to shave a pound and a half. I used it on the next seasons caribou and moose hunts, and figured it is time to get the one that fits me right, so I ordered the large 20 below bag and have used that on several hunts, including a couple that got down well below freezing at night. This bag might be a little heavier and bulkier, but for the money it is hard to beat. Pack weight of the large one (which you should get if you are ~5'10" or larger) is 7lbs 6oz. The smaller one is an ounce under 6 pounds. $70 bucks for the small one and $80 bucks for the large one.

I almost always sleep in this bag with nothing but my underwear on, and it is colder than a witches tit getting in, but quickly warms up. I'll plan on taking the smaller one on a pack in hunt as I can handle the snug fit around me, but I'll use the larger bag on hunts where weight isn't as big of an issue. Going on my 8th hunting season using these bags.

Cabelas Item: IJ-515359

I keep thinking of getting a Wiggy's bag, but just can't justify it when these work so good. I don't mind the extra 4 pounds for the hunts I have been on compared to their 15 above bag. I strap it on the outside of my pack, so space has never been an issue with it either.

Froze my can on a winter moose hunt in a -15 degree bag with a fleece liner. Talked to mushers and bought a wiggys bag. In the "around the house sleep in a snowbank test" it is awesome but aparently I am not going to be able to test it right till fall since the 20 A hunt is closed. I got the FTRSS over bag and the super light mummy. The superlight is my sheep bag 0* and 4# and add the over bag and it goes up to 7# and -40* for winter hunts. The bag and overbag can be mated if you flip one inside out which would be handy in the event you had to share body heat to save a buddy (broke back jokes aside). wiggys is my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Well with the bivy you're half way there Snyd. lol
    Good one kf! You guys are gonna convert me yet! Check out this BigAgnes down bag. 800 fill, 20 degree, 1lb 14ozs.
    BigAgnes Zirkel SL
    I'm already half way there with this one since I have the BA 15 degree pad
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Question Big Agnes...

I almost bought the Zirkel myself. Nice looking bags. But the lack of insulation on the bottom was a deal breaker. I would suggest taking a cheap foam pad in conjunction with the air pad. If the air pad fails you, you might have a chance of staying warm with the insulation from the foam mat. Thermarest now has out a "tough as nails" model that has foam in the air matress for added warmth. Aside from a tougher material to resist punctures, the foam will provide some insulation even if the air chamber fails. That was the pad I was going to get with that sleeping bag. Perhaps worth taking a look at if you will be using the bag in colder temperatures.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Good one kf! You guys are gonna convert me yet! Check out this BigAgnes down bag. 800 fill, 20 degree, 1lb 14ozs.
    BigAgnes Zirkel SL
    I'm already half way there with this one since I have the BA 15 degree pad
    Good looking bag. Also, the pad sleeve sure would add a lot to the bag.

kingfisherktn

How does the Lamilite in the Wiggys bags compare with the Primaloft or Climashield in the Big Agnes bags?

Default Cats meow

Any of you with the new ones? I bought mine probably 10 years ago and it has the "fleece" lining inside. Do the new ones have it? It is the only way to go, but way to warm. I've used it at -20 in November and stayed plenty warm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast