Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Cabin in the Wilderness

Cool Building a Cabin in the Wilderness

In case anyone hasn't seen this...
    By Dick Proenneke. He moved to the wilderness on this lake and started his cabin when he was 51 years old...Here's much of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfB6...eature=related

Great video Albert. I remember seeing a full documentary on this a while back. Makes me remember why I came here in the first place.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Yeah man, it really tugs on me too. Am about to get married so it'll have to go on the back burner for a while. But intend to take her up and tour the state, maybe she'll like it!

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertJohnson View Post
    Yeah man, it really tugs on me too. Am about to get married so it'll have to go on the back burner for a while. But intend to take her up and tour the state, maybe she'll like it!
    Maybe you should make sure of that BEFORE you marry her. You know why marriage is an institution don't you? You'll need to be put in one after a couple years. At least that's what some of my friends tell me....lol.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpilot View Post
    Maybe you should make sure of that BEFORE you marry her. You know why marriage is an institution don't you? You'll need to be put in one after a couple years. At least that's what some of my friends tell me....lol.

Hey Bush, if you keep talking like that you might as well keep hugging on that fish in your avatar. grin

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Hey Bush, if you keep talking like that you might as well keep hugging on that fish in your avatar. grin
    At least it doesn't talk back. My girlfriend is cool with the whole outdoor lifestyle, and living with me at this point. Good thing she's from Montana originally, and not like those high maintenance chicks I used to date back east.

Thomas Jefferson

Talking

Yessir, right now she'd like it anywhere, so long as we were together.

I had my share of those dang high maintanence women in the big city. Took one out and on the FIRST date, she ordered the most expensive thing on the menu, the swordfish, had a little piece of sparsely with it and a couple of tator tot looking things. 30 bucks! I had something for $7. She didn't get the message. Didn't call her up again. Another one ordered every expensive foo foo drink in the place and on the 3rd date rejected my advance for a kiss. (the first time) There wasn't a 4th date. I know, I was a slow learner. Another chastised me for giving only 10% tip, not 20%. Pretty much ALL city women are hi maintainence nowadays.

So BP, I can definately see and agree with your choice of lifestyle.

Maybe that's what made ole Dick run off to Alaska and build his cabin...hi maint. women! :O

"Alone in the Wilderness" came on one Sunday afternoon on PBS. It sounded good so I watched it, not knowing it was about Dick P. or Alaska. As soon as I came in to work the following morning I located it, "The Frozen North" and "Silence and Solitude" on Amazon.com and had it by the next weekend. After watching those videos I ordered the book which was a lot better and a lot more detailed.

I have absolutely no doubt that Dick Proneke was Martha Stewart's father; those that have seen the video know what I'm talking about. It tickled me to read in the book that he put two butt ends of the logs together and had notched them before noticing it. He threw it off the side and put another one up, scribed and notched it and it was another butt to butt, LOL. He probably took a break after that. Also, Babe Alsworth came a lot more often than the video lets on. Also, it indicates that he completed his cache that first year; not true. I was also surprised to find out that he didn't kill the sheep, skin it out, pack it out, fire up the "smoker", smoke the meat, wash the blood out of the hide and hang the meat up all in one day; it was actually a three day job. So much for super human efforts, LOL.

Speaking of super human, I did notice that he looks like Popeye when he wears short sleeves. After reading the book I came to the conclusion that he went there to be with the animals. He always notes the weather and most of the time the temp but then goes into long notations about the animals, birds, etc. I can't blame him; I'd be the same way.

My plans? I want to emulate Dick P. as closely as possible.

Unhappy What's wrong with two butts

I think I'm missing something.When building with logs, it's always butt butt...tip tip.Where's the problem?You'll know where the problem is when you try to notch your first tip over a butt.GR

Yeah TrapperRick, I'd wondered how much company he got or how often he saw other people.
    I did something similar, living for 3 months building a cabin in the semi wilderness, and man it got lonely.
    Now I guess I have to get the book too. The video is called Alone in the Wilderness, and the others T.Rick mentioned were sequels. The original runs about 50 minutes if anyone wonders, and will cost you around $25. But well worth it, beats 1 swordfish dinner. Be careful though, this video will get ahold of you...you'll never be the same.

Yessir, by golly, he DOES look like Popeye, heh!

(I didn't get it either, butt on butt? Maybe he thought the cabin would become lopsided?)

I had my share of those dang high maintanence women in the big city. Took one out and on the FIRST date, she ordered the most expensive thing on the menu, the swordfish, had a little piece of sparsely with it and a couple of tator tot looking things. 30 bucks! I had something for $7. She didn't get the message. Didn't call her up again. Another one ordered every expensive foo foo drink in the place and on the 3rd date rejected my advance for a kiss. (the first time) There wasn't a 4th date. I know, I was a slow learner. Another chastised me for giving only 10% tip, not 20%. Pretty much ALL city women are hi maintainence nowadays.

Maybe that's what made ole Dick run off to Alaska and build his cabin...hi maint. women! :O
    You're bringing back some old memories. Since this is a family friendly forum, I won't bring up what I did to turn the tables in my favor on these so called......ahem....."women". Fun times, but I wouldn't want to go back to them.

Thomas Jefferson

Default FYI on cabin building

When building a log cabin, the proper way to do it is to have the smaller end of a log notched on the larger end of the other. If you notch butt to butt and keep going that way you end up with sloping walls by the time the last wall log goes up. It's a pain at times if you are building from trees that start thick and taper quickly...as the smaller end of one log could actually be so small that it would fit completely in the butt end of the other. So you have to weed through all your logs as you build and notch accordingly. I've built my share of log cabins and never built butt-to-butt. Also built a couple of "russian corner" type affairs, not using notches at all, which is sometimes done in areas where the trees have a severe taper from the butt to tip.

Default Notching the logs...

Starting in one corner, on your fat end of the half log(sill) You'd notch a fat end.Your wall is not going to be lopsided as you switch every other course..Now...after setting other logs around, you would end up with two tips...over the two buts..only on opposite walls.So you are reversing every other log on one wall, but in any one corner...you will have...butt butt...tip tip...then notching another butt...butt...Tip tip and so on.The walls won't be lopsided as you take an average of all the tips(add all the tips, and divide by # of logs)Do the same for all the butts...get a number to work with.Mackie explains all this in his book.4 starting corners would be working from left to right going from corner to corner.. using the half log sill...bb...tt...bb...tt Really not to complicated.Just saves trying to notch a small tip over a fat butt and ending up with 2" of wood.GR

I was talking about butt to butt on top of each other, not the walls perpendicular. I've got Chambers Ultimate Log Home Building book too so I know what you're saying; butt, butt - tip, tip is the way it's done - and don't forget to figure in for the right shoulder height so your tips will cover the butts on up. I don't think Dick P. read the book but he sure done an admirable job. If you get the sequel "Alone in the Wilderness", you'll probably be shocked at the narration; it's hands down the worst narration I've ever heard in my life. He's not only reading off a script and doesn't even try to pull it off as as anything more, he's also got the worst, most irritating voice I've ever heard. I actually mute the sound for most of it. The narrator is Bob Swerer, the producer. Other than that it's a great video. It will definitely get ahold of you!!

Default Additional cabin info

http://www.nps.gov/lacl/historycultu...ekes-cabin.htm

http://www.nps.gov/lacl/planyourvisi...eCabinSite.pdf

fyi, A couple of web links that provide additional info on Dick Proenneke's cabin and info on visiting the site.

Talking Aint That The Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpilot View Post
    At least it doesn't talk back. My girlfriend is cool with the whole outdoor lifestyle, and living with me at this point. Good thing she's from Montana originally, and not like those high maintenance chicks I used to date back east.

I HAVE ALWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK WITH THE WOMEN I MEET IN THE WEST MY LADY FRIEND NOW I MET IN IDAHO AND SHE IS HARD AS NAILS WHEN IT COMES TO THE GRITTY STUFF IN LIFE SHE IS NOT VERY MATERIALISTIC DOESNT EVEN OWN A DRESS JUST WEARS SHORTS, SWEAT PANTS, TEE SHIRTS , N HIKING BOOTS NO GAUDY STUFF NEVER ASKS DO THESE EARING GO WITH THAT

SHE IS ALSO REAL PEOPLE DOESNT WHINE ABOUT MEANINGLESS CRAP, CAN DO PHYSICAL LABOR AS HARD MAYBEE HARDER THAN ME AND HAS A LEVEL HEAD WHICH IN A LADY IS VERY IMPORTANT CAUSE MOST OF EM ARE BASKET CASES YEP YA CANT BEAT THE GALS OUT WEST EXCLUDING CALIFORNIA IN THAT CASE YA MIGHT AS WELL GET A EASTERN {vulgar expression removed by webmaster}
    Last edited by Webmaster; 09-07-2008 at 22:10. Reason: Vulgar language

Cool

NOT MY GAL NO FOFO DRINKS 4 HER JUST CAPTAIN N COKES AS FAR AS A DINNER DATE HER FAVORITE PLACE IS A GOOD ALL U CAN EAT WHERE WE CAN GET A GOOD BOOTH DOESNT MIND DOING LABOR WORK WITH ME SHE AINT THE PRETTIEST FACE I EVER SAW BUT ATLEAST SHE AINT FAT BEFORE I MET HER I USED TO SAY I DONT NEED A WIF E OR A GIRLFREIND {Non family-friendly expression removed by webmaster} I KNOW HOW YA FEEL ALL TO WELL MY FRIEND
    Last edited by Webmaster; 09-07-2008 at 22:11.

Y'all have rolling on the floor laughing with your "high maintenance" women examples...usually I just read through the threads to pick out info I'm collecting for when my husband and I finally get there, but I've had a good laugh trying to imagine the types of women you are talking about...I'm a city girl (grew up in Houston, Tx) and my maintenance issues revolve around enough time in the blind, kayak or out on foot scouting. Thanks for the giggle!!!!

Well, obviously there are exceptions... most would be GRITS or gals from the MidWest/West.
    But they're precious far and few between.

definition: GRITS - girl raised in the south

Back to the Cabin in the Wild...

I had the urge to build another cabin in the wild this summer ('08) so here she is...
    How many could live here in this little cabin?
    I could and I think my fiance' could.
    Total cost? $3000. All from Home Depot.

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow
    Last edited by AlbertJohnson; 09-16-2008 at 16:02. Reason: add more info

With scenery like that...yeah, we could. Excellent job on that little piece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast