Thread: Newby (maybe) & Shrimping question

Default Newby (maybe) & Shrimping question

I have my fingers crossed on a possible job opp in anchorage and with my growing enthusiasm - I am reading everything I can about the area.

I work to support my fishing and hunting addictions. I mostly archery hunt - and elk have been my passion for as long as I can remember. I have travelled to Alaska several times. Fished several times both salt and fresh and I have harvested a moose on a fly in (I thought elk were tough to backpack). I have some friends in Anchorage that have a couple toys (sleds - oooops snow machines) and some in Fairbanks that have ALL the alaska toys (sleds, boats, planes, cabins). I think that me and alaska would go well together.

If I make it up there I would just have to get a jet boat of some flavor (looking at the phantom) and would like to fish salmon and maybe do some shrimping, crabbing, and clamming (I have never shrimped before) and so I am wondering:

Is there any shrimping near anchorage or do you have to go down the penninsula to get into them?

What about clamming - is there see toxin issues for the bay by anchorage.

You will need to go to the penninsula for clams. Fish and game has a page on their site to tell you about the potential for toxins in shell fish. If you learn where to go the sound is the closest place for shrimp.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Whitter and Seward you can shrimp.
    Whitter you can do it right outside the harbor.
    Seward you will have to go out pretty far before you can shrimp.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default personal use for shrimp

Good luck on the job opportunity...

A note about shrimping in Prince William Sound and on the North Gulf Coast...that fishery is classified as a "Personal Use" fishery, and P.U. is open to Alaska residents only. If you're moving to AK permanently, then you may be able to qualify, but otherwise you won't be able to do it.

The best shrimp fishing is in Prince William Sound, and from Anchorage you would go to Whittier (about 80 road miles) and launch your boat from there.

Most clam fisheries are open under "Sport" regulations, which are open for residents and non-residents alike...but check the regulations. For clamming, the western Kenai Peninsula is your best bet...lots of razor clams in the Clam Gulch/Ninilchik/Deep Creek/Anchor Point areas. Steamer clams can be found on the south side of Kachemak Bay (from Homer).

You could shrimp right out of Whittier & i know a guy with some good pots if you need them

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    You could shrimp right out of Whittier & i know a guy with some good pots if you need them
    Let me take a shot at this. It wouldn't be you, potbuilder would it?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Let me take a shot at this. It wouldn't be you, potbuilder would it?
    Naw who wants those pots i build
    potwshrimp.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

potwshrimp.JPG
    Ok, I was going to get a couple from you, but if no one wants any from you them something must be wrong.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Red face

potwshrimp.JPG
    How could somebody from New Jersey Know how to build shrimp pots?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaM5 View Post
    How could somebody from New Jersey Know how to build shrimp pots?
    Maybe 25 years of building lobtsah' gear might give me a clue or two ? I used to build'em from a plank of oak, i sawed the lath and frames & knit the funnels(tunnels) by hand & nailed every one of'em by hand. No staple or clip guns back then Then the wire gear came along & i built lots of them also. Back in the day i was fishing over 1200 pots, i never had a day off. I've done my time building pots & hung miles of gillnets. These shrimp pots are just toys compared to some serious lobstah' gear.
    img053.jpg

img052.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Ok, I was going to get a couple from you, but if no one wants any from you them something must be wrong.
    AG,
    Get your order in i've got folks asking daily about them. Just put in a big order for more wire, should be here about march 1st. See ya at one of the shows i hope!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Well thanks guys - appreciate the input..I didn't know bout the PU on the shrimping. If I make it up there it will take a year to get residency. I think that the guys I might be working with have lots of experience on the water there. I was thinking maybe I can go out of deep creek.

It is probably much cheaper to just buy shrimp at the store and spend the rest of the money 'not spent on gear' on beer! But what fun would that be????

Still far from a decision being made, but I have my fingers crossed on making it up there!

Would a jet boat in the 22 foot range be 'good nuff' to do some of the closer in shrimping?

I won't be able to get an ocean boat - would probably be working too much to use it much anyway.....so in my dreams I am leaning towards a jet that I can run the rivers with. For those halibut trips I will just charter and not have to worry about all of the maintenance and costs associated with a big water boat....and of course I will have to find friends with the big boats so I can help them butcher the white meat!

Bull - Your 22 foot jet boat would be fine. There can be excellent shrimping right outside of the Whittier harbor, so yes...you can do it in good weather.

Deep Creek is not an option for shrimp, though. Halibut and king salmon are plentiful there, but no shrimp. Whittier will most certainly be your best option.

Don't question whether it's worth it to pursue wild shrimp. It might be a bit more expensive at first, but once you taste a wild shrimp right out of the ocean, that store bought stuff will taste like cardboard.

2 minute ride outside Whitter harbor your in Shrimp heaven.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

so how far of a drive is it from Anchorage to Whittier? Been on the road but that was a while back. We usually fish Valdez.

Also looking at a bigger jet - maybe a 24....don't spose there are many used ones in the area that are in good shape? If it works out I can probably swing a brand new 24 footer...would that be too big for the rivers?

1 hour away from Anchorage
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default boat buying

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Also looking at a bigger jet - maybe a 24....don't spose there are many used ones in the area that are in good shape? If it works out I can probably swing a brand new 24 footer...would that be too big for the rivers?
    There's always good boats for sale...the price just varies depending on the season...

Generally, the spring is a sellers market, the fall/winter is the buyers market. You don't see as many "for sale" listings over the winter, but there are a few.

Maybe 25 years of building lobtsah' gear might give me a clue or two ? I used to build'em from a plank of oak, i sawed the lath and frames & knit the funnels(tunnels) by hand & nailed every one of'em by hand. No staple or clip guns back then Then the wire gear came along & i built lots of them also. Back in the day i was fishing over 1200 pots, i never had a day off. I've done my time building pots & hung miles of gillnets. These shrimp pots are just toys compared to some serious lobstah' gear.
    img053.jpg

img052.jpg
    Hey Steve, Just poking fun. Being from New Jersey myself and just starting out shrimping this past summer, I was quite successful using your pots.