Thread: Winchester 1895 Carbine

Default Winchester 1895 Carbine

Is anybody useing one of these to hunt with as they seem to be scarce. I think most are sitting in a safe collecting dust and increasing in value as time goes by. It seems like it would make a nice lever rifle to hunt. If you have hunted yours what caibre are you shooting? What kind of results did you have and accuracy? Also there are the 24" versions I beleive.

Default Md. '95 Carbine.

I have seen '95 carbines. They are rare; the most common caliber seems to be .30-40 Krag. I think I saw one in .30-06 years ago, but can't recall for sure. On the .30-06 models, don't buy without a headspace check.

If you find a good carbine in .405, it will probably be about the price of a good, used car, but should make a good hunting gun.

welfare state of Alaska

Default Win. 95 carbine for hunting

I've got a SRC Mdl. 95 in .30-03 (not .30-06) that I bought many years ago. I though it would be a neat gun to hunt with until I tried to cycle it fast for repeated shots and pinched the s**t out of my hand a couple of times.

Unlike the other Win. lever guns the Win 95 has a rather complicated hinged trigger plate and lever. When you work the lever rapidly there are a lot of moving parts to pinch or shear off chunks of skin on your hand. With the other Win. lever guns all you have to worry about is keeping your trigger finger out of the way.

Don't know if this is a factor with anyone other than me but I was convienced. Perhaps if I had practiced a lot I may have gotten over my fear of injuring myself.

One interesting bit of trivia I learned from researching my Win. 95: while the US Govt. gave up on the .30-03 in 1906 the caliber was avalaible in the Win. 95 until the teens. I can only guess that the heavy round nosed bullet in the orginal '03 had a following.

Kachemak Bay Alaska

I have a short 95 rifle in 30-40. Circa 1905. I am restocking her now, somebody in a village whacked up the original stock with a saw....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member

If I was setting out to find one, I'd be hard pressed to choose between a 405 and a 30-40. I don't have much experience with 405's, but have always admired the ballistics.

I do have a lot of experience with the 30-40's in Krags. It's just one heck of a round, especially with 220 RN bullets. Velocities aren't impressive, but what one of those big long bullets will do on game certainly is. It'll make a liar out of any numbers game you want to play on paper. The velocity is just about perfect for the Hornady and Remington bullets I've shot game with, giving nice mushrooms while retaining a big long shank behind them for push. They really penetrate well, and it's rare to recover one even on moose. They just keep on chugging right on through whatever they hit, leaving a good wound channel and one very dead critter.

Talking 1895 rifles

Anyone looking for one of the 1895 Win or Browning, you can find gobs of them, either new or used, in the Guns America site, Gun Broker, or Shotgun News (CDNN Sports, Inc). Calibers include 30-40, 30-06, 405, 270 and other assorted bores. There are some originals, but most are of the newer persuassion and prices are quite reasonably, with a lot starting in the 1100 and up range. Good luck.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Eagle River

I take out great grandads in 30-40 for range time. Its pretty accurate. Im able to drill clay pidgeons with ease at 100 yards. My grandpa said that great grandpa only ever used that gun, and that he took it to alaska once, and got a moose and a caribou with it. He said the deer and elk count on that gun is probably in the 100's. Near as I can tell it was made in the 20's.

Saw a 30/06 model sitting over at the ammo can. Its been there for a couple of years. I dont remember the price but it must be a chunk cause it hasnt moved.

Default The Model '95.

I grew up shooting a '95 for most everything, and I can't remember getting my hand pinched in the action. I suppose I learned early to kind of hold it out away from the action. I have big, and rather fleshy hands, but I believe the trick is in how you hold the lever. Take your trigger finger out of the trigger guard when cycling the action. You won't lose any time.

The .30-03 cartridge worked well in the '95, but offered no particular advantage I know of over the .30-06. the 220 gr. roundnose was standard in the .30-03 as I recall, but the same bullet was available in the '06 and the .30-40, and was the bullet of choice for Alaskan hunting. It wasn't as flat shooting as the 180 gr. spitzer, but was often more accurate, and in the early 20th century, was considered very flat shooting compared to the black powder rifles people were retiring. In the early loadings, there wasn't a great deal of velocity difference between any of the 3 calibers with 220 gr. bullets. The '06 was loaded slow by today's standards. They all killed moose, bear and caribou quite adequately and still do.

I have found the '95s I own to be totally reliable in cycling if the bullets aren't seated out too far. Don't overload the ammo searching for new and sizzling velocities. Headspace problems will be the result, and stretched cases won't last long. Load to book max. and add an aperture sight and go hunting. Long ago, I used to take my .30-40 and 7mm mag to hunt elk or moose, as well as black bear. If it was raining, which it often was, I carried the .30-40, as I preferred the peep sight in the rain. I discovered the .30-40 with the 220 gr., Silvertip or whatever I had for it, put down big animals more reliably than the mighty 7mm mag. Hmmm. It also carried more rounds and could deliver them faster. Hmmm. When the ranges weren't over 200 yds., I went back to the .30-40. The .405 in the Mdl. '95 is just more of a good thing, I think. Everybody has an opinion. That's mine.