Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: akdfg website

Angry akdfg website

Does anyone know what happened to the harvest info on the website? All of the subunit info is missing along with 2007 sheep info. It was unavailable for a couple days and now its back up but missing info. I know it was there i just looked at it 2 weeks ago. Hillbilly

Been getting the same message when I've been trying to look stuff up. Hopefully they are updating it with new information and it didn't take a crap on itself.

Default Very disappointing!

Hopefully they're not taking away the major/minor subunits!! I was just starting to really get into my hunt planning, and having access to that information was very useful. If I'd known it was going to disappear, I would have downloaded as much of that info as I could two weeks ago! Anyone know who to contact to ask what's up with the lost data?

Default Info

Ive already made my plans but was helping out a buddy and its gone. I really hope it comes back. Hillbilly

Angry

It seems they removed the maps showing the major and minor units also, at least they're not where they used to be and I can't locate them.
    I checked again tonight on the harvest reports and nothing comes up again. Hopefully they're putting the data back up, and hopefully they're NOT removing more info.

Checked the harvest report data last night and it was back up, minus the 2007 information. Also checked into the drawing permit map areas and they were working. I'm thinking they are doing some updates, which would explain what we are seeing.

You must have been on there before I was, because I was on there last night also and it wasn't working at 11pm and it is not this morning.

I think I was on around 7pm-8pm.

Default Nope

It is working but the 2007 info is gone and the subunit break down is missing

Default It's gone

I talked to ADF&G. They made a decision to pull the subunit info...maps too. Pissed me off as I had justy downloaded a ton of harvest data and was getting ready to download the maps as well.

Maybe if enough people complain they'll put it back. Apparently some ADF&G internal committee made the decision.

Default Im callin

Im sure Mr larsen is not around for the weekend but he has mail. doug.larsen@alaska.gov Anybody else calling?

That's a load of ____. Just when I find out about the information, it gets removed. Simply amazing.

I haven't had a chance to verify the removal myself, but I'm not surprised if it's finally gone. I have been using the ADF&G harvest database and maps from the department of commerce community and economic development for about five years now. Before ADF&G removed the community of residence last year you could actually figure out where individual animals were reported to have been killed by non residents if you searched the correct guides web sites. I'm not surprised if ADF&G has removed the whole thing now. Since the awareness of the database has been spread on this forum in the last year I'm sure folks at ADF&G became concerned about how much information was available and the impact it might have on futire harvest as well as the confidentiality of the harvest reports and impact that might have on reports from other hunters. I'm glad I learned what I could while it was still there.

Default Info

I was glad to use the info but in a way am glad to see it go. The easier modern technology makes hunting the more crowded our areas become. While its nice to know there has been sucess in a area its more rewarding to do your own homework and scouting.

Thumbs down

i also discovered the info was missing the other day. i am disappointed because i had found it only recently, but in that time i had found it a very useful resource.

i think if the biologists collect the data using public money, then those data should be made available to the public...i can see why data collected on the most recent season or two would not be made available to the public without extensive review and approval from certain folks at ADF&G, but come on! there was also a beta version of a "mapper" to make searching the database more user friendly, but that also got the ax.

anyone know if there is another method of obtaining the info even if it is onerous/tedious?
    Last edited by Berto; 03-04-2008 at 15:45. Reason: typo

I think you can still visit the office and review the harvest info. How is that for tedious?

Default no suprize

I have talked to the Bio's over the years, only one eluded to the fact that the info was available on thier site, but wouldnt say where to find it. It took a long time but I finally did. Very few people knew about that at back then. Eeveryone seems to know about it now, and now its gone, go figure. I wounder if the bios didnt want everyone figuring out out where the rams are? Im so glad that I have spent the past 5 yrs pooring over the info. But it still be nice to know how many hunters are going into each area, I like avoid crowed areas.

Good to see it go, especially after someone comes online and points it out to every hunter on the site, what else are they supposed to do?

If they didn't want hunters to access the info then they shouldn't have made it available. Does anyone know for sure that it is still available for review in person at the local F&G office? That doesn't seem very equitable to those that do not live near a F&G office ... but I guess they don't have a mandate to be equitable!

Red face another perspective

Sorry for the contrary opinion, but I am glad its gone. I liked using the data for my hunting. But that also means that every out of state first time hunter can find the most productive areas without ever setting foot in the woods. I think that scouting and hunting are good things to include in the harvest. And like Chisana said, the data was way too open. If you knew the size of a trophy you could use the major and minor to find the exact location. In fact if you used permit data and hometown data you could even find the name of the hunter! Publishing the data concentrates hunting pressure and contributes to overharvest just because an area happens to have some bigger animals. I think we are better off without it.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast