Thread: ice fishing for trout and dollies

Default ice fishing for trout and dollies

what works best for dollies and rainbows when ice fishing? any help would be appreciated

Treat them like you would any other predator fish. The biggest thing is finding a lake that has been stocked for several years. Some of the stocked fish will survive long enough to reach big sizes. My biggest was a 3.5 pound rainbow on an earth worm on a lake in te middle of anchorage.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Small jigs tipped with shrimp or eggs. Fish shallow and near structure if possible. I generally do best just off the bottam.

I like the orange airplane jigs. Small ones. I flash them with my camera and it keeps the glow paint glowing. Shrimp is a favorite of mine, a few seconds in the microwave makes it more rubbery so they don't steal it easily. Also baiting the big hook on the airplane is an easy way to keep bait. I've also done well with 1/4 oz. orange cast masters.

Also (in fairbanks) I catch mine right below the ice in about 10-15 feet of water.
    River Runnin