Thread: How often do you change out batteries?

Default How often do you change out batteries?

Good evening.

My question is, as stated above, how often do you change out your boat batteries? Do you change them out as a preventative measure every few years? Or do you monitor how they hold charge every so often?

Default battery

I take mine out every year and put them in my motorhome and purchase new ones for the boat. I bought the expensive ones from Alaska Battery this last year. I will use them another season. That is one of the items on my boat I will never leave to chance.

I have dual batteries and buy one replacement every year, whether I need it or not. This ensures that no battery is ever more than two years old, and that I always have a new one.

Default 3 yrs for me

I buy top of the line batterys with a 5 year warranty and I change them out every 3 years, I have never had a battery go bad on me, I also use a built in marine battery charger/maintainer.
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins

Salcha, AK

Default Battery Change out

I test my batteries every spring and change out if I find a bad one. My boat has four batteries so I have lots of back up. The main thing you need to do is check all of your connections for corrosion. Make sure the cells on your battery are filled with electro light.

Default 12.64 volts is fully charged

Top off with trickle charger before each trip.
    A 12 volt battery is actually nearly dead if you read only 12.0 volts.
    Fully charged is 12.64 volts

Default Batteries

Titibandito is correct a fully charged battery is 12.64 volts at 12 volts a battery is almost half dead. I used to work at Alaska Battery Sales; here's the scoop on batteries.

Batteries that show a charged voltage of 12.64 volts are not neccessarily good. The way to check a battery is;
    Fill the cell with a distilled water(do not add acid, unless you turned the battery over and poured it out), charge for a minimum of 4 hours, or until the battery reaches around 12.6 volts. Let the battery set for 4 hours, this allows the cells to normalize and come to the batteries working voltage, check the voltage. Once the battery is at this point a load test is required, the working amperage is on the battery label or engraved in the battery code. The battery should hold this load for at least 30 seconds or so. Then remove the load checker and recheck voltage a minimal voltage drop is expected.
    If your battery goes dead, charge it then start the engine. Remove the caps and look in each cell, if you see bubbles in one replace the battery it has a bad cell.
    Most battery problems are caused by faulty connections or connectors, don't buy junk cable clamps. The cost will irrevealant out in the toolies when your boat doesn't crank.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have had my batteries for a few years now and they have always been fine. I charge them before a trip and usually not if I did a trip the weekend before. They are stored in the garage during winter and I check the water level before they go back in the boat come spring. I put a new alternator in the boat last fall, it worked great but it was to old to be trusted. Now you guys got me thinking I should buy fresh batteries! Thoughts on buying one, or is that just asking for half the trouble? Since it is a boat, I should just buy a dozen and learn to enjoy the expense.

Default Ever try to push start a boat?

Two batteries, replace one every year.

Default Batteries Don't Die Every Year

I had my C-Dory for 14 years and had a total of 3 Batteries in it. Just maintain them. Never had on quit while on the water. Always when starting up in the Spring.
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.

I use AGM (used wheelchair) batteries as they are more shock-proof and require no maintenance. AGMs offer more crank time even if slower. I change mine out if they load test poorly...the main I run now has seen three seasons and has frozen in the boat each winter with no load problems. I do carry a charged spare but won`t change it out unless the main goes tango uniform.
    All that said, I mainly troll so the battery gets alot of charge time.