Thread: Tackle Maintenance

Default Tackle Maintenance

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I know there have been a couple posts on tackle care but I was wondering what everyone does with their kwik fish and spin-n-glos setups at the end of the season or prior to the start of the next.

This last year I broke down all of my setups and wiped my rigs down with a clean rag and water but they still look like there's residual egg and herring buildup on some of them. I've thought about using use some sort of cleaner or putting them in the dishwasher to get this gunk off but am concerned with imparting scent onto the lure or ruining it during the wash. Any suggestions?

As far as hooks and line go, I replace both at before the start of the next season. Is this necessary? I'd hate to loose the big one to something that I had control over.

Swivels, beads etc. I've always re-used without washing. Should I do differently?

I like to use WD-40 to remove old herring oil from my lures. It works well, and won't effect the bite next time around... I have even seen folks use it as a deadly attractant, but I wouldn't due to it being a potential pollutant.

Be careful wd 40 could be considered bait.

I reuse swivels too. (as long as they are in good shape)
    The thing with line is that the sun light will deteriote the line. So if you keep your line sheltered then you can use it multiple seasons, but it is generally fairly cheap so it might be best to replace it just in case.

other then that keep your hooks sharp and make sure you allow your stuff to dry out. O and be careful about keeping bug dope in your tackle box. I used to do it all the time then I had a bottel break in my tackel box and melt all my rubber luers. The weird thing was the plastic ones were fine unless they were touching a rubber one. where ever a rubber luer was touching a plastic one the plastic was also distroyed.

Default Tackle

The older I get, the more OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) I get regarding plugs and other tackle. I use Soft Scrub with bleach and a medium bristle brush to clean all of my plugs before season, in season and after season. This removes all oils and scents and makes things really bright and shiny all over again.

I replace my line at least at the beginning of the season. During season, at least once per week, maybe more depending on use, I'll strip off 10-20' of line to avoid unseen abrasion and deterioration from the sun. I sharpen hooks every day (especially after a hook-up). I think that the swivels are fine to reuse unless you see a flaw or corosion. I have had my line fail, and have had take-down's without hook up only to find a dull hook, but have never had a swivel fail (not impossible...indeed I have found plugs floating with a broken swivel).

I know many folks use WD-40, but I simply cannot bring myself to do that because of the petroleum base. Besides, it also leaves a residue when it dries. Likewise, the comment regarding bait is absolutely correct. If the enforcement folks inspect your plug and see a residue of anything during non-bait times, you will likely be cited. The good news is that bait will likely be allowed much earlier than recent years because of a BOF ruling.

So, keep it clean and looking good, always sharpen the hooks, replace line at least annually, and inspect for flaws and you will do great.

Good luck

How do you guys sharpen your hooks? Is there an easy in-field way to sharpen them them up with a certain tool?

Default Sharpening

A small pocket stone in a tackle box is all that is needed usually. For halibut hooks I use a single mill file. But files and salt water don't mix well, the salt kills the quickly. A small diamond stone works on halibut hooks too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    A small pocket stone in a tackle box is all that is needed usually. For halibut hooks I use a single mill file. But files and salt water don't mix well, the salt kills the quickly. A small diamond stone works on halibut hooks too.
    I use a single mill file, but I am in freshwater. The secret is to keep them sharp. Every day or after every fish. Then it just takes a few swipes of the file/stone and you are off and running.

Default Lure Cleaning and Storage - FYI

Under "Short casts", Saltwater Sportsman Magazine, Joan Manger, posted a worthy tip. Her " Cheesy Idea" is to recycle parmesan cheese containers -- the type you use for shaking grated parm onto your PWS shrimp & penne pasta. The containers have two openings, the lid is removable, the container durable and transparent. Remove the lid or lures drop in through through the large hole. Wash the lure with fresh water and whatever else you use to clean your lures, shake them up, soak them and then rinse. Turn the container on its end to drain through the small holes without the lure falling out. The containers come in different sizes -- Costco sells a larger size

I save some elongated "Emerald" brand containers used for dry roasted nuts. All pastic, they have a large screw on lid, nice hand grip, and are long enough for most lures and some jigs -- but, are not transparent. I also stuff those items that seem to spring from inside a tackle box into these containers.

They fit well into cup holders or can be tossed onto a shelf without damage and they float but seal out moisture. The lids are tight enough so that when you shake things up when washing a lure your not being drenched. Recycling plastic containers is not a bad idea either. These containers are tougher than they look and seem to last season to season.

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
    It may still be winter, but I often find myself going through my gear getting things cleaned up and organized for the next season. Summer can't come fast enough!

I tie lots of flies in the winter, the rest of what I do ends up being done on the water in my first few outings, but thats why I go fishing early when there is little chance of catching any fish.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default penn parts

Everyone may already know this, but I'll post it anyways just in case.
    You can order parts for your Penn reels directly from Penn. Go online to the Penn Reels site and they show an exploded view of reels. I have found they are generally half the price you get locally.

Default toothpaste..

I got this tip from a guide... clean plugs with a cheap toothpaste and a soft bristled toothbrush. The slight abrasiveness works very well with out oil based build up, doesnt bother the finish and deodorizes also.
    <*)))><

and if you're really worried about scent.

A simple scrub down with dawn dishsoap works well.

I'd steer clear of the d40 though. May land you a ticket with some not always so pleasant guests