Thread: grayling ice fishing

Default grayling ice fishing

Has anyone done much fishing for grayling through the ice? I hiked up to fuller lake last week and punched a bunch of holes all over the lake and did not get a bite. I have done a fair amount of ice fishing for other species, but this was my first try for grayling. Is there something I might have been doing wrong. Do they like deep water or shallow in the winter? What are some good baits or lures to try? Any advice would be very welcome.

Default hmmm

Never really put much time into grayling fishing through the ice. I have caught them while fishing for rainbows. Usually in a stocked lake, and usually very small. My suggestion would be to fish more into march/april as of course they become more active. Like alot of fish Jan/feb are usually the least active months. Caught them in Florence lake in willow through the ice years ago. Dont know if there is even any in there anymore.

I haven't done any ice fishing for them, however I have fished during open water for them for 15 years. This is what I have noticed, they are very hard to find until the water warms up to 55-60 degrees. I would target them deep as this is where you will find the warmest water at this time of year. Water at the bottom of most lakes will be 39 degrees.....the temperature that water is most dense at. I would try deeper holes and water inlets. Let us know how you make out. Try small white tube jigs or (shrimp, roe, small minnows (where legal) Hope this helps.

Default Was up there

I fished up at fuller lake earlier this year with my dad in December. Did you fish the upper or lower lake? We fished on the lower lake and did well with some salmon eggs just the pautzke store bought ones and what else worked real well was a Swedish pimple jig with the red attractor on it ours was silver with the neon green. We used the smallest one we had, and had great success on the jig up. We did pretty good up there, largest was 16" and most were about 12" and some 8"-10" fish. I like ice fishing up there it's a good change from catching rainbows and kokanee and you get to hike. When did you go up there and how much ice was on the lake?

I fished the lower lake last thursday. I'm going to go give it another try tomorrow. Nice hike and a beautiful day, but fishless. There was about 1 1/2 - 2 feet of ice, but most of it was that soft white ice. Thanks for the info on what you and your dad were succesful with.

Default No problem

I didn't mention but at the time we were fishing really shallow, we went across the lake about 2/3 of the way and fished along the right side. It is really shallow over there and we were still about 100 ft off the shore if this helps at all.

I've targeted them through the ice on Six Mile Lake in between Lake Clark and Lake Iliamna. Unless you're planning a 150 mile flight for grayling, though, that's probably not the best option.