Thread: Training Collar

Default Training Collar

I have been looking at the different training collars offered, and finally decided on the Dogtra 1900. It's a new model for this year, and the specs seemed to be all I should need. Now I'm in search of instructional books/dvds for me. Any reccomendations?????

First of all don't teach with the collar. The collar is a tool to reinforce commands already known. It is to be used after your dog is through basic obedience. The collar allows you to train for a quicker response to commands given. It also allows for control when your dog is not at your side. Also, remember, your dog needs to be conditioned to its use. Your dog needs to be conditioned to pressure and how to get out of the pressure by responding to the command given. The collar is another form of pressure. The same as a heeling stick or a rolled up newspaper.

Mike Lardy Basics
    Tritronics Retriever Training
    Dobbs dogs library website

all have good reading.
    Let me know if I can further help. I know lots of drills for collar conditioning.

Smile

"First of all don't teach with the collar. The collar is a tool to reinforce commands already known. It is to be used after your dog is through basic obedience. The collar allows you to train for a quicker response to commands given. It also allows for control when your dog is not at your side." Wetland Retrievers

I 100% agree, you have to do the work before you go to a E-collar. my dog wears one for just one command "come" because when he gets out of reach his mind wonders and he does not listen. This was a tough decision for me and the trainer we were working with. We decided to go with an E-collar after two months of long line work. I have not shocked him since I can't remember when. Now I just hit the tone button and he responds. If you use a collar properly your dog will beg to put it on as mine does, he knows it's time to work. If I touch the collar he begs me to put it on him.

The trainer I was working with breeds and trains mainly British labs, British style training does not advocate the use of E-collars. The collar can be your best friend or your worst enemy, I saw a dog which was "failed" out of training by another trainer, the dog would piss its self when it saw a collar, the traininer I was working with turned the dog around without a collar. I belive too many people do not want to work training thier dogs so they see an E-collar as a way to shock them into compliance, shame on them.

I have been useing a Sportdog collar for three years now and love it. Thier customer service is unbeatable. I lost a transmitter in a swamp, stupid me but when I called them they overnighted a new one to me so I could hunt the next weekend total price $50. Not bad considering what one would cost off of the shelf. They are just great, I have had a couple of other issues but the same response from the company they took care of stuff the warranty does not cover just to make me happy. The battery charges last a LONG time too so if you are still shopping I recommend Sportdog brand collars as do many people I know.

Best of luck and happy training

I have to agree with the both of you on the collar training. I havn't even put the collar on the dog yet. I still need to study a bit first and will probably train with someone who is familiar with the use of them before I jump in with both feet. I picked up the tritronics book the other day and am going through it now. I did run the thing up to 20 and try it out on myself...........If only they could hide one in a gold chain and a locket with maybe alittle cubic zirconium............hmmm I'll bet they would sell like hotcakes

While you're figuring out how to use it, put it on the dog when you're doing traditional training so he can get used to wearing it prior to using the shock features.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!