Thread: Starting loads for Laser Cast bullets

Default Starting loads for Laser Cast bullets

I just received my first boxes of LC bullets and I'm not sure where to start my loads, I was thinking 7.0 Gr Unique for the 240 Gn SWC 44 for use with a 8 3/8 inch M29 and a 7 1/2 Super BH. And starting at 4.2 Unique with the 158 Gn SWC for my snub 38+p 642 and 5.5 Unique for the GP141 4 inch 357. Will I get in trouble with any of these loads?
    I also have Bullseye, Bluedot, H110, and 231 on the shelf.
    My main concerned is sticking a slug in the barrel. The info I have read all sounds pretty hot to me and not a good place to start.
    Is there any published material for laser cast loads?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Many years ago I started reloading 45 long colt with what I think was laser cast brand 225 or 250 grain bullets. If not laser cast, then it was Meister something. So…………… Anyway I found them to be rather hard, undersized, and lubed with a hard, ineffective lube. The end result was barrel leading to such an extent that you could actually pull two and three inch long threads of lead out of the barrel. That was the easy stuff, the rest of the lead was heavily plated into the groves of the barrel and required an extreme amount of effort to remove.

So, my advise to you is to get some good load data, and I am sorry I don’t have any loads for the 44, and then load them very near maximum to get some obturation and hopefully cut down on the leading issues. Of course, who knows, perhaps they have improved in the last 10 years and you wont have any trouble with light loads.

My best suggestion is to go down to Sportsman’s Warehouse and buy the lee bottom pour pot for like $60 and then order a mould from Midway USA. Those laser cast bullets will make a good alloy component to add a touch of hardness to wheel weights.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I am using some Oregon Trail laser cast bullets now for the 44 spcl and 38 spcl. The 240 grain FP and a 158 grain SWC and both are doing very well. I have no signs of leading in the M-19 2 1/2", the M28 6" and only a small trace after 200 rounds throught the M-13, which was dirty when I started shooting the cast through it. My 38's are marked as sized .358, they are .358" my 44's are marked .431 and they are ,431" Both are bevel based and quite hard and at low velocity (pressure) that will lead to leading but these do not except as I said in the M13. I had bought 500 of each and just reordered another 500 of each caliber.

I consider these very good bullets and at $25-30/500 they offer very good shooting for the $$$. I am able to shoot to my potential with these bullets in any of the guns. My M24 44 spcl is only a 3" gun but I can shoot less than 2" at 50 feet standing at the indoor range where the light is not so good. I couldn't do better than that with any bullet, I'm a lousy shot. These bullets can be loaded using data for any similar cast bullet of the same weight. You could even sunbstitue data for JHPs, velocity will be slightly higher but pressure will still be ok. These bullets are made with some % of silver, which behaves similar to tin in a casting mix, doesn't harden much but casts easy and comes out of the mold very pretty with low shrinkage. They are also good for Vampires!

If you are using the longer magnum brass for the 44, the 8 grains of Unique is a good load, you can go lighter but I think in my 4" gun that was about 850 fps in magnum brass. In the heavier guns that is a very light load. I'm not using Unique in the spcls but use a similar SR-4756, a great old powder slightly faster than Unique and a little more versatile, it can be loaded lighter. I think that is 7 grains in spcl brass for about 800 fps from the short gun. There is a standard 158 grain cast load with 4 to 4.5 grains of Unique in 38 spcl brass. I've only shot about 200,000 of that load in K frame Smiths.

Blue Dot is a great powder for the spcl cases but it is at its best throttled up a bit and it is not so good in the magnum brass unless at near magnum velocities. It is a great +P powder for the 38 and 44 Specials and the 45 ACP. Use your Unique, it is still very good with cast bullets.

8.0 grains Unique in 44 mag brass with the 240 grain cast.

4.5 grains Unique in 38 spcl brass with the 158 grain cast.

I guess all you needed was these last two lines, huh?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've run a few thousand of those through a Ruger Vaquaro. The majority of those were launched by a full throttle load of 2400. No leading issues at those speeds. For some reason, 2400 was more accurate than the Blue Dot for me, but that may have just been my particular gun.

Yellowknife

I see these Laser Cast bullets at SW here but they are .429 instead of .430 which is what my SR cylinder is. I have loaded and shot some 240 gr .430 lead cast bullets with 8 grains Unique and it's a blast to shoot. Would I have any problem with the .429 laser casts?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again