Thread: Cost of riflescope repairs

Default Cost of riflescope repairs

I called Parson's Scope Service - this is the one that advertises in Rifle Magazine and other publications - to get some idea of what it would cost to re-glue the seperated objective lens in a K.Kahles and a couple of German scopes I have.

I was informed by a nice gentleman that the minimum charge for this repair is $100 depending on how the lens is held in the cell. If the lens is held in a crimped cell the cost could be $150 or more. The use the UV cureable cement inplace of the orginal balsum glue so I assume you get a better assembly.

Turnaround time is 2 to 4 months at present.

Just passing this information for the benefit of anyone with a scope that needs repair and is outside the normal dealer service channels.

Also make you apprciate the service that Leupold provides!

Just out of curiosity, why not send it back to the manufacturer. All the high end to medium end German and Austrian manufacturers have excellent customer service and repair their scopes.

Default Riflescope repair

I don't think Pecar or B.Nickels are in business anymore - probably folded or got bought up by someone else like Zeiss. In any event I don't think they have a presence in the U.S. They were both high quality and high $$ (or deusch mark) scopes in their day

I'm going to check on the K.Kahles. I've heard that the present Kahles won't work on the earlier scopes but I haven't confirmed if that is the case.

One option I'm exploring is to re-glue the front lenses assemblies myself. The new glues are UV cureable and alignment is pretty much fixed so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why not send it back to the manufacturer. All the high end to medium end German and Austrian manufacturers have excellent customer service and repair their scopes.

I have a Waffen Franconia catalog from the last time I was stationed over there. I'll look and see if those scopes were listed. Kahles is now owned by Swavorski. I have an old 3x9 Kahles with what looks to be a 26mm steel tube.

Default Optics repair

I found the B. Nickels web site finally. They do offer repairs but it is very expensive - even more so considering the shipping. I'm still looking for Pecar info.

I found the name of three other people that at reputed to offer repairs. I'll try to contact them next week and post what I find out.

I also ordered a book from www.universityoptics.com on scope repairs. I'll see what it has to offer.

Sorry to dig up an OLD thread, but how did your repair turn out, and was it worth it for durability? Anybody else use this service, as I'm looking to have an old Redfield TV-View scope refurbished?