Thread: Convert a Ruger push feed to controlled feed?

Default Convert a Ruger push feed to controlled feed?

Has anyone investigated or heard of converting an older Ruger push feed / tang safety to a controlled feed like the newer guns?

At first glance it looks like you could slot the receiver for the ejector and either slot the bolt and cut the bottom shroud out or replace the bolt body with a controlled feed bolt. It couldn't be too bad; Ruger isn't known for making guns with difficult machining requirments.

A lot of work to be sure but that is what makes it a challenge! I have an older Ruger .458 RSC I would love to convert.

Default Conversion

I'd forget about that one unless you're a hell of a riflesmith yourself . The odds of a push feed getting you in trouble are about the same as getting drafted to be a NFL quaterback .

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Wow.............ummm, ah............. I think I would personaly bag that plan and just go buy a new one. If your hard core into doing something to it, then perhaps look into a sako extractor. Otherwise, just continue to push feed away and I am confident that you will have few if any issues........................ever.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Push Feeds

I like my controlled feed M70's, but in all reality, you can feed a push feed sideways and upside down with no problems. I wouldn't mess with it.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default CRF

I've personally never heard of the Ruger extractor and ejector causing any grief. Has yours been a problem? If not, why change it?

Default Push Feed?

Forgive me, but I don't know what you're getting at. My old Ruger 77s with the tang safety are controlled round feed, with a big, Mauser type claw. None of these has ever failed to feed or extract. On an old mdl. 77 I have, it won't feed if I put too many cartridges in the magazine, but that isn't the fault of the bolt pick-up or the extractor. It is just that the cartridges aren't aligned right when the magazine is too full.
    Jack.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Morgan View Post
    Forgive me, but I don't know what you're getting at. My old Ruger 77s with the tang safety are controlled round feed, with a big, Mauser type claw. None of these has ever failed to feed or extract. On an old mdl. 77 I have, it won't feed if I put too many cartridges in the magazine, but that isn't the fault of the bolt pick-up or the extractor. It is just that the cartridges aren't aligned right when the magazine is too full.
    Jack.

The old M77's do have a claw type extractor but it is not a true controlled round feed action. The extractor snaps over the cartridge rim when you close the bolt. It does not pick up the cartridge rim when feeding from the magazine.

It would prohibitively expensive imo. A new Ruger M77 of your choice would be a much better option.

If the bolt has a claw extractor, a gun smith may be able to do the work. However, it requires much more work than what you have stated. For example, the Ruger M-77 MKII rifle I bought back in 1992 was one of those Ruger push-feed, one step closer to CRF rifles. It also had a claw extractor on the bolt. Shortly after i bought it, I read an article on a gun magazine about Ruger modifying this rifle in their shop for a small fee. I sent the rifle to Ruger, along a check for the sum of $75.00 (that was the cost for the modification). A few weeks later I received the rifle with a CRF bolt installed, plus the original push-feed bolt next to the rifle. This is what Ruger did:

The rails immediately above the magazine was ground . If I look at this area, from below (though the magazine), the rails have a shape similar to the outline of a loaded round. This is hard to explain, but the bottom-line is that the rail edges were ground to a sort of wedge shape, and only in the surface below the rails. The new bolt is just a CRF-type bolt (no rim on the bolt's face, and the claw edge modified for the round to pop right between it and the bolt's face.

I only use the CRF bolt, but the push-feed one works fine, too. I put it away, and haven't used it for a long time. Ruger stopped modifying these rifles long ago.