Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What tent?

Default What tent?

I am trying to figure out what tent to buy. My partner and I are big guys, 6'3" or better (won't tell you the weight! . We both have north face tents that have worked well. One is a four season and the other a 3 seasons. I am looking for one that has more room, but is still light weight. I would get a 3 man tent if the weight is right. I was looking at those Nallo tents and like what I see. The weight is fine and lots of room. Any other tents out there that are proven for sheep hunts?

Another question. Any recommendations for a sleeping bag? I have a north face cats meow. It has served me well for 10 years now, but it is very hard to move in being a mummy bag. Any quality, light weight bags that aren't mummy type?

Thanks,

Northway

There are good threads on this in the Outdoor Gear section already. Just go here http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...splay.php?f=33.

I find that North Face tents are of excellent quality, but not the lightest. I have also found that no tent is perfect for everything. I have a lightweight tents for backpacking, a little heavier tent for Cub trips, and a much heavier bomb proof tent for when I'm flown in by a 206 or Beaver.

Default BAG

Northway:

I am no tent expert, but I bought the Big Agnes bag with a pro light 4 pad. I think it was the encampment model which is good down to 15. I am a husky dude, and the bag gave me plenty of room, and is pretty light. I bought the thermalrest because I had heard the Big Anges pad were more prone to leaks, but now I am hearing that most guys have no problem with thier pad. You might want to check it out.

I have been very happy with my Kaitum, which is a Nallo tent.

It is a little bit heavier than I like for a long hike on a sheep hunt, but is vented at both ends and is very roomy. It is also sturdy. I have used it for sheep hunting in rain, deer hunting in Prince William and a variety of other places. It really performed well in fairly heavy rain when we were in and out of the tent for moose hunting. It remained dry inside and I am certain that the double venting is responsible for that. I would recommend it and feel that it is the best tent I have used in my 36 years of sheep and other hunting.

Default Sleeping Bag

Check with the major manufacturers - most of them offer a model for "big boys", i.e. not only those that are vertically uninhibited but those with increased gravitational attraction. The longest light weight tent I know of is made by Stephensens Warmlite at over 100" in length and depending on model around 3 lbs.

http://www.warmlite.com/start.htm

I had to get back to work before I finished my post above. I have used several tents on walk in hunts and my two favorites have been the MSR Hubba Bubba 2 man and the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlite two man. Both hit the trail at right around 4lbs 6 oz.

I much prefer the dual entry, dual vestibule of the Hubba Bubba. No climbing over your buddy to go take a leak, and your gear gets to stay in your vestibule on your side of the tent

If I were looking for a quality three man tent with the same qualities I would be looking at a Mutha Bubba at 6 lbs 11 oz. If two guys split the tent between them you would only be responsible for a little over 3 lbs.

For big sleeping bags for big guys I vote for the Big Agnes Encampment just like Falcon said. I have had no issues with leaking on my BigAgnes pads and the Encampment is very roomy. I can not even get into a Cat's Meow..so you now know how fat I am.

BTW there is a Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT on Ebay right now

Default Sierra Designs

I took a Sierra Designs Stretch Dome 3 to Kodiak last year. It's plenty roomy for two guys and gear and has more guy points than you'll ever use. We had some serious winds and it never moved. This tent was tested in a wind tunnel with 100 MPH winds. It comes with a system called Jake's corners that ties the corner poles into the frame so they can't roll and bend with the wind. It comes in at 10 pounds, but if two of you are going you can split it with one guy carrying the tent and the other the poles and fly...about 5 pounds each. There might be better tents out there, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better one in the price range of this one.

For sleeping bags, it's hard to beat a Wiggy's, but the rectangular bags aren't light.

Default Bibler Eldorado and Integral Designs

Northway,

I am also a fairly big guy. 5'11 and 235lbs.

I found that the Bibler Eldorado is a great tent that can handle really rugged weather. It is a climbing tent and some people complain about condensation but I didn't have any problems but I manage the vents.
    It is a two man tent but it weighs about 4lbs. Very simple and I figured out how to set it up quickly.

I also like Integral Design Sleeping bags. I have the 20f bag with primaloft and Pertex shell. 2lbs and it is broad enough for me.

I am getting a North Twin for my son.

I know you live near Tok but check out the Bibler at Beaver Sports and the sleeping bags at Moutain Sports across from the Bentley Mall.

Very light and excellent for weather and packing,

Sincerely,

Thomas

check out hilleburg tents. I have a nallo 2,light weight but some condensation problems. They have some of the highest quality tents on the market and lots of models,just depends on what your looking for!!!

Thumbs up yep...

I upgraded my float trip gear last year. We float NW rivers each Fall. I am 6'6" 300 lb so I can appreciate you wanting room in the tent. The Black Diamond I am posting below is the best tent I have ever owned. A single wall tent so you don't have to hear the fly flapping. It is incredibly light (5 lbs) and well designed. Stuff so small you won't believe it. The sleeping bags pasted below are Cabelas Boundary Waters. They are amazing. Pack to size of a basketball and the long zero degree weighs just 3 lbs! Comes in high quality compression dry bag. The Black Diamond Guiding Light tent and Cabelas Boundary Waters bags are the nicest gear I have ever owned by far. Do yourself a favor and check them out before making a purchasing decision.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/guiding_light.php

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...dary&noImage=0

Below is a link to the "Anyone using a Go-lite tent" thread that is in the Outdoor Gear forum. You will see the tent called "water resistant" on the website. I explain in detail why the tent is waterproof in the below thread. It is a technicality essentially. You just have to seam seal the tent with the included sealant. Takes like 20 minutes. I used the tent in a downpour this past Sept on a 13 day float trip in SW Alaska. Trust me, this tent is 100&#37; waterproof. The below thread explains it. Read my post here...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=25009
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Make sure you buy a long sleeping bag, it should be wider and longer, helps with comfort a lot. I am not to big but want to be comfy in a bag so I get long, $20 more, 4 ozs more and slightly colder at temp rating vs regular bag but I like it.

I had been in one of the Hilleberg nallo tents with only an opening on one end. There were some condensation problems in rain and fog. As stated below I got the Hilleberg Kaitum with both ends vented and have been very pleased when using it in rain, fog, etc. The design of the tent is extremely well thought and it can be set up even in the rain without getting the main tent wet because of the unique attachment of the fly. It is also very handy to be able to put packs, etc under one end and then enter through the other. It is only slightly heavier than the smaller nallo styles.

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default The Nallo 3gt...

is a little small for three guys IMO. I use it for two unless I have no other choice. For two it's awesome because you get the big vestibule.

Default Cocoon

Northway---
    I am going thru the process of deciding on a new tent right now myself so I am not much help in that area but for the other issue you mention of being "hard to move in" a mummy sleeping bag--the best solution I have found on that is to use a sleeping bag cocoon--can't say enough about the Design Salt Eqyptian cotton or the silk mummy liner--it costs around $40 and it serves 3 great purposes--

1st of all because it is slippery and provides a layer between you and the sleeping bag you will find yourself able to move around so much easier in the sleeping bag--which means more and deeper sleep...

2nd--since it is a liner you will get it dirty rather than your sleeping bag--it is much easier to clean and cheaper to replace/clean than a sleeping bag that has lost its loft and insulation value due to sweat/moisture/and dirt.

3rd--if you buy one of higher quality it adds a few degrees of warmth to your sleeping bag--meaning you can maybe buy a cheaper/lighter/warmer weather sleeping bag than originally planned.

Another benefit is when you are travelling around the world and wonder about those bedsheets in foreign hotels and hostels and how clean they are--this light, compact solution keeps you off those scummy sheets--it really has worked wonders for me--even use it on military deployments.

I have had my Design Salt one for over 12 years now so it is a long term purchase as well--any good camping store carries them and many hunting stores as well--recommend you buy the lighter and higher quality ones--a bit more spendy but well-worth it...

v/r
    majorbam

Default mt hardwear

Check out the mountain hardwear hammerheads. I have the 2 series. Used it for sheep, I am 6'2 and partner was 6'5 both had r own vestible to keep r crap in. No condensation , no problems what so ever.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Prod...&viewAll=False

Default Big Agnes?

Has anyone used the Big Agnes Superlight series? I've been looking at getting the SL2 for a one person tent. It is under 5lbs. and looks like it would be more than enough room for one person and gear. Just wanting to get some info. from someone who has used it in Alaska. Thanks.

Default Sierra Designs/Wiggy's

I really like the Sierra Designs Alpha CD tent. It is listed as a 3 man, but is about right for 2. It is a 3/4 season convertable. I am 6'2 and have plenty of room. It weighs a little under 9 pounds, but it is very sturdy. Add the internal guy lines and it is really tough.
    I also recommend a Wiggy's long, wide sleeping bag. I have an Ultra Light with overbag. I have been in -25 with it and been warm. I have also gotten into the bag when it was wet (during fall float hunt) and had it dry out completely in a few hours. It is not the lightest bag, but it is roomy, durable and warm.
    Good luck,
    Patrick

Default Sheep Tent

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Check with the major manufacturers - most of them offer a model for "big boys", i.e. not only those that are vertically uninhibited but those with increased gravitational attraction. The longest light weight tent I know of is made by Stephensens Warmlite at over 100" in length and depending on model around 3 lbs.

http://www.warmlite.com/start.htm
    I second the Stephenson's Warmlite. I am 6'4" and heavier than I want to admit. I have been using this tent for all my sheep hunts since 2000. There is room for 2 BIG guys and your packs inside the tent. I have been in 50-70 knts, 18" of snow and down pours and have been completely satisfied. PM me if you want more details on ordering.

All you guys with the non-free standing tunnel tents like the Nallos. Any problems pitching? I sure like the weight savings but not so sure about not having a free standing tent. I too will be buying a new tent this year.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast