Thread: Bridger #5

Default Bridger #5

How do you think the bridger 5's would do on a wolf here in AK. To me they look like they would hold a wolf but would probably get preaty beat up. Thoughts?

Default Mb 750

is a better economical trap like the #5 but, is much stronger. I would definitely choose this trap and I think the last I checked they were only like five more bucks than the 5. The only weird thing is getting used to the dogless style over the jaw. I thought the five would be great too a few years back and bought a few and after a few years of being boiled and the time they sat set the springs got pretty weak and also the trap is not as heavy duty as the MB750 wolf series. I can't justify spending what they get for the number nines so I exclusively use the 750's but, the 1 1/2 or 2 inch wider jaws sure would be nice. The bridger #5 does make an excellent lynx trap though. I would add a few swivels to the mb750 if thats what you decide to go with and about 15 foot of chain and make sure that you weld your swivels closed you might also mix in some springs for shock absorbers.

I've looked at the mb 750's and thought about gettin some but thought the dogless style was a little funky. I dont like the fact that your hand is in the kill zone while setting them. I've only cought wolves in 9's and snares but its hard to stock up on 9's at $110 apeice. I have a few 5's out right now and I know what wolves can do to a 9 so we'll see what happens when one connects. Iam lookin at the CDR wolf traps for next year. Built like a 750 but have the traditional dog style.

Default CDR?

I haven't heard of these where did you find these and what are the prices? That was just my two cents on the bridger 5. They should work fine but, I got really used to that style dog and have found that I really like it now and I just think they are a step up from the 5.

Default Bridger #5 Wolf Special

Bob Green out in the valley ( Ft. Green ) has #5 Bridgers for 38 bucks a piece. These have laminated offset jaws, heavier springs, tack welds on the jaw ends and all swivels have been tack welded as well. I saw that Sportsmans had Bridger #5 Alaska Specials but all they are is a nice beaver trap. I bought one and laminated the jaws my self with round stock. Other wise, you can't go wrong with the MB750's.

Talking the bridger will work

the #5 WILL HOLD A WOLF, BUT THEY ARE ONE AND DONE, THEY WILL NOT WORK AGAIN

Default CDR

I have a bunch of the CDr's and have owned the MB's I got rid of the MB's as I do not like the trigger system but many do. The Bridger is a substandard wolf trap IMO lighter wieght and have heard many say they just don't hold up for long. Of course there is the cadilac of wolf traps the #9 spendy but one wolf will generally pay for a few them
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

The Alaska #5 Works good. A person can buy 3 vs. the #9. I've caught a couple wolves with them and they work great.

Default Mb 750

I caught a large otter in a MB 750 this winter. It held him but good. I'll have to agree though they are some weird to set. For wolve's and wolverine though,114 or 4 1/2 Newhouse,none better.
    "All bureaucracies are the same. They drain the life out of the truly creative people and develop mindless paperpushers as their critical mass."

"You are a den of Vipers.I intend to rout you out and by the Eternal God I will rout you out.If the people only understood the rank injustice of our money and banking system there would be a revolution before morning"--Andrew Jackson 1828

Default #5 is a piece of crap

If you are wolfing for the long haul and don't want to educate your wolves, spend the money and buy a real wolf trap. The best are #9's and 114's. They are very expensive, but in the long run worth the money. Every time you catch a wolf, invest part of the money into another #9 and before you know it you will have a few. I began my wolf trapping with 2 114's and 6 #5's. What is wrong with the #5's is this: they are built poorly, have very poor springs and do not come up out of the snow like they should. You end up with toe catches (which usually don't stay held very long), misses, or a trap that is partially sprung. I have some #5's for sale if you would like to buy and try. I do not like the MB's 750's either as they do not come up through the snow like a #9. I also don't like their funky dogless style which is not safe when fingers are in the way of being caught. Like I said, experience will tell you that if you are wolfing seriously, get the right equipment. I have caught wolves in #5's, but have educated way more than I ever caught. Once they are educated, they are tough to catch in any trap. This is the best info I can share with you.

Ok northway you had me in agreement until you started in on the MB750's. What wrong, not into a little excitement with the dogless trigger Mike,lol? Unlike the #5 Bridgers, the mb750's are plenty of trap for wolves and wolverine. BUT as the ol' saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement. The #9 is the king!

Default Mb's

Steve,

No, the excitement level is high enough dealing with the #9's! I don't like setting the MB's with that funky dogless set up. They DO NOT come up through the snow like a #9. Not sure about others, but when I set a trap, I try not to disturb it for as long as I can. One of the wolves I caught this year had 8 inches of snow over it and it was an ankle catch with a #9. I've sprung my MB's in the spring when pulling and some of them the jaws only closed halfway. I know people use the MB's and are successful, but if you are in it for the long haul, #9's and 114's are the only way to go. Of course this is just my "un-educated" opinion on this!

No arguement here about the #9 being the best, I was just saying that the Mb750 is plenty of trap to HOLD a wolf or wolverine unlike the #5 Bridger. The #5 just isn't built to hold up on the thrashing. Maybe for one catch if your lucky,IMO.

Default Okay, I'll agree

I agree that it will hold up. My #5's held up to some point. I had a pan eaten off by one wolf! They are good beaver traps and that is about it. I won't even set them for cats! LOL! I have always felt that the pressure it takes to set off a MB is quite high also. I guess I am spoiled with the #9's and 114's. I only started with 2 and built up to about 30. Dean Wilson had a deal one year if he bought a wolf from you, he would sell a #9 for $50. I got 16 #9's that year! I would like to have about 50, but not sure I will invest more money into anymore. I did have most of them set this year though, plus I have about 10 newhouse in that mix with about 6 MB's that I never set anymore. Figured if the wolves get thick, I could put around 50 sets with steel under the snow.

I just don't have the wolves around to justify paying $130.00 a trap! Thats why all my tickets from the Trapper Fling went only into the buckets for the #9's. Didn't win any but did win a pretty nice flesher knife. It was also pretty entertaining watching your wife turn all sorts of red trying to win that last give away. Me and the fam were pulling for her though. Good luck and keep up the fight against the moose munchers!!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    If you are wolfing for the long haul and don't want to educate your wolves, spend the money and buy a real wolf trap. The best are #9's and 114's. They are very expensive, but in the long run worth the money. Every time you catch a wolf, invest part of the money into another #9 and before you know it you will have a few. I began my wolf trapping with 2 114's and 6 #5's. What is wrong with the #5's is this: they are built poorly, have very poor springs and do not come up out of the snow like they should. You end up with toe catches (which usually don't stay held very long), misses, or a trap that is partially sprung. I have some #5's for sale if you would like to buy and try. I do not like the MB's 750's either as they do not come up through the snow like a #9. I also don't like their funky dogless style which is not safe when fingers are in the way of being caught. Like I said, experience will tell you that if you are wolfing seriously, get the right equipment. I have caught wolves in #5's, but have educated way more than I ever caught. Once they are educated, they are tough to catch in any trap. This is the best info I can share with you.
    When you mention #9 wolf trap, do you mean Alaskan #9 or Bridger #9?

Thank you,
    Sergey

He would be referring to the Alaska #9. I would add that you should listen to Northway. He knows what he is talking about when it comes to wolves and has the numbers to prove it.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Bridger Brawn it has a 8.5-9" jawspread they are a primo wolf trap but the price is almost equal to the #9 at $95-$100 ea.

The guy that traps the next line over from me lost a wolverine and a wolf in the same check this past season, both of which were caught in brand new #5's. It was early season too, so I'm assuming they were decent foot catches as at that point we hadn't had very much snow yet.

The brawns are probably fine, I have no experience with them, but for another $25 I can run over and get a #9 Alaskan from JR. I can't really afford to experiment with different traps as I only get some many chances at wolves on my short line. Personally, I'll be sticking with the #9 Alaskan because I know that if I do my part by setting correctly etc, the trap will perform just fine. I'm always amazed how much snow those things can come up through.

Paul Trepus a guide in British Columbia uses them a lot & racks up good wolf #'s every yr. They're a great trap but yeah for about $25 more you can get a #9, but if you get the opportunity to try 1 give it a go & see how you like it.