Thread: snowshoes?

Default snowshoes?

Just wondering what kinda of snowshoes folks have found to be durable. Im in the market for some good shoes. Have destroyed a couple of costco specials and an old pair of redfeathers this winter.
    Looking for bindings that will accomidate bunnyboots and a shoe that can stand up to frequent walks through the willows. Any suggestions?

I'm partial to Atlas snowshoes. I'm not sure if bunny boots would fit into them though. I typically use mountaineering boots.

I use Tubbs snowshoes. Though I haven't tested them against other brands, mine have always held up. I also use mountaineering boots, so I can't help on the bunny boot front. I feel like my bindings would be big enough, but I'm not certain. Take your boots with you when you're shopping and give it a shot.

MSR snowshoes rock!

My Atlas shoes with gore-tex insulated Danners and gore-tex gaitors work great!

Default Magnesium

Find an army surplus store and buy the snow shoes the military uses. They are painted white put made out of Magnesium, with stainless steal cables for webbing. The bindings they come with work with bunny boots but you can make you own out of inner tubes too. (my preference). I alway have a pair on the back on my snowmachine. I used mine to prop up my snowmachine yesterday to clean some alders out of my skeg, so they are pretty tough. Cheap too, you can usually get a pair for around 30 bucks.

Atlas ones are the way to go if you really want to purchase good ones.
    They pivot really good and keep your shoe intact in the shoe-housing/binding.

I personally have Red Feather, though... but I know that I need to upgrade. My Red Feather snowshoes have been incredibly durable, though.
    Lurker.

Depends on what you want too do with them. For deep untouched snow or hunting Iverson's are the only way too go. I have a pair of there freight shoes and even with a heavy pack I've never sunk over the tip. While friends with modern shoes are struggling, I'm usually floating along. Traditional style Iverson's are also virtually silent, personally I hate the thwack squeak thwack squeak thwack squeak of modern shoes and it's hardly a fitting tune for spot and stalk hunting. Traditional raw hide and wood shoes are also available in designs ranging from mountaineering to racing and from freight hauling to hiking.

My wife really likes her Tubbs and of the few modern shoes I've tried I agree with her.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Tubbs

I have used my bunny boots with my Tubbs. In snowshoes you typically get what you pay for. Costco is great for a lot of thing but unless they start selling Tubbs or Atlas, look else where.

Default MSR

I've got the Denali Ascent MSR's and they are great. I ran in them the other day and ripped thru the snow. Wife has Tubbs and loves 'em.

We trek Campbell Creek since it's right out back, so haven't really been in too deep. I want to get the floats for the MSR's to gauge "punch thru" in deep snow.

Side-note.....the recent rain/wind has trashed my trails and made for some rotten snow. Guess it's time to head into the mtns. Anyone ever make the Arctic Valley voyage....up Ship Creek??

Tony

Smile Quality snowshoes

Northern Lites! Everything I have seen from TUBBS lately is made in China now. I would be suspicious of their quality from this point. They used to be a great shoe when they were all handcrafted here in the good ol' US of A. I have had a pair for several years. Coues32 on here turned me on to the Northern Lites and although I can't speak from experience since I haven't bought a pair yet, I think that they are absolutely worthy of consideration. They have a farely informative website which I think is just www.northenlites.com.

Default Atlas Snowshoes

Anyone know if Atlas snowshoe bindings are able to fit over bunny boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I use Tubbs snowshoes. Though I haven't tested them against other brands, mine have always held up. I also use mountaineering boots, so I can't help on the bunny boot front. I feel like my bindings would be big enough, but I'm not certain. Take your boots with you when you're shopping and give it a shot.
    Ditto on the Tubbs. I've got the 36" Mountaineers and they've been great ...no cracked plastic or other anomalies at 40-50 below either. They fit my 0-degree boots very naturally, and my 60-below boots adequately ...and I wear size 14, so I'm certain they'd work with bunny boots as well. The claws on the bottom of the snow shoes are nice and deep. The flip-up (hill climbing) hoops are easy to operate even if cold and wearing gloves. The toe binding part is easy to loosen and tighten. The bindings around the heel are pretty reasonable but take just a second longer. I'm always "first done" when we all put our snow shoes on or take them off. Anyway ...I like'm and they work well.

Brian

Default Sherpa

If you were a Sherpa fan. IRL in Canada makes an Arctic Trekker snowshoe that is very well made. Also they repair Sherpas.

http://www.irl.bc.ca/Forestry%20Supp...nowshoes-2.htm

I just bought a set of Atlas 36" trail breakers off of Craigslist. If there is still snow I will give them a good test here in a couple weeks. $65 fit just right in my budget! I am 250lbs and the 36" are rated to 300 so I should be in good shape even with a day pack and winter gear or a hide on my back!

Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    If you were a Sherpa fan. IRL in Canada makes an Arctic Trekker snowshoe that is very well made. Also they repair Sherpas.

http://www.irl.bc.ca/Forestry%20Supp...nowshoes-2.htm
    I like my sherpas!

I had called and talked to that outfit last winter about re-lacing the smaller set of sherpas I had gotten at a local thrift shop because the lacing was half deteriorated...they were very helpful, but wanted alittle bit too much $$$ at the time for me to send them in to be re-laced so I went cheap and re-laced them myself ....I need more practice, but it got me through the winter.

the larger set again I found at another thrift shop just a few weeks ago for $9 I haven't gotten to test them out yet (not much powder around this time of year) so perhaps next season.

I don't mind the army surplus shoes they are a little cumbersome when side hilling, but nice for trekking across open snow ( + 1 you can light fires with them if need be )

I have a pair of MSR Ascents for sale that are great
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=40464