Thread: BB Penninsula hunt wader question

Default BB Penninsula hunt wader question

I have a pair of Cabelas bog buster hip waders. Was going to wear a couple pairs of socks in them and that was it. Would that be warm enough in spring? Another option I read was get a size larger and slide in a pair of thinsulate booties that I have for my Schnees boots. I can return the waders for a larger size. What would those of you with experience with spring temps and these waders advise? Thanks much.

Most everyone will have their on ideas as to what works best for them. I have a collection of waders after living here several years. I like my NEOS River Trecker. They are worn over your regular hunting boots, you just slip them on and cross the wet spot and remove them. With my HH Rain Jacket I'm waterproof from head to toe. I tend to get cold from sitting around in wet waders. I like these because I can wear nice hunting boot and still be dry. Wear them when you need them then take off and throw them in your pack. Just another way to do it. Good Luck.
    http://www.overshoe.com/recreational...tail.php?s=RTK

Steve

Default Bog Busters

I have a pair of bog busters and they work great, provided you do not stay in cold water for long or a short time. I did a float trip with mine a few years back and I was one unhappy camper. They are light and easy to walk in, but you will need extra liners for them. I picked up a pair of neoprene liners but have not tried them yet. Get a pair of 600 gram thinsulate rubber boots instead.

Default waders

I found that wearing my gore-tex, chest high fishing waders worked great for hunting the peninsula. I just rollled them down to my waist, which still allowed me to sit on wet ground for hours on end to glass. My lower body was the warmest and driest part of me. I got a pair of hiking boots a couple sizes larger to fit over the feet, but a good pair of wading boots (with actual soles, not felt) would probably even be better. They're a little noisy, but no more than most rain gear.

A trick to make those chest wader less noisy. Slip on a cheap pair of fleece pants over the waders, this will make them much less noisy.
    I have used chest waders as well, just hate doing the potty dance every time I have to urinate. Other than that they do work great. It is all about being warm and dry. Get cold or wet and the hunt is over.

Steve

Default thanks

Thanks much for the tips. I do have a pair of those sourdough slippers like you described and was going to do what you recommend, pull them over my Schnees boots when crossing water. Then heard that it would slow me down to pull on/off. Got the bog buster hip waders then and now second guessing myself on both options. the question that i supposed can only get answered with feet on the ground is how cold is it and how much/often is there water crossings. i might return the waders for a larger size so I can at least get my thinsulate boot inserts into them to stay warm since. I can then flip a coin on whether to pack the waders or take those pull over the boot slipper things. guess this is part of the fun, having an excuse to go to cabelas again.

Default Live on the Peninsula

I live out here and have to second the vote for the breathable chest waders. You put them on and your bomb proof from the elements and you will be able to go anywhere at any time. There is a huge amount of water on the peninsula...

Don't go with the boot foot - buy the stocking foot with a tread boot (no felt). I like the fleece pant suggestion as the noise is always been my gripe with the system.

A heavy pair of socks, polypro bottoms, and a heavy pair of fleece pants and you should be fine.