Thread: cleaning time

Default cleaning time

Does any one know if you just gut the rabbits in the field and save the rest of the cleaning for home lets say 5 hours. Will that taint the meat.
    Or how long do you have before you have to clean them up. I have always heard that you must clean them up as soon as you get them is that true or do you have some time.

Default Whats the temp?

I think if its cold so that the meat cools quickly I don't think you will have any problem. I snare shoeshoes on the weekend and if they are still "warm" or kicking when I pull them out of the snare I save the meat. Believe it or not my girlfriend prefers rabbit to chicken. I skin them, and if then gut them and put them in a ziplock, in the sled they go. I have also started taken a ziplock bag with me with garlic and olive oil in it and putting the bunnies directly in the marinade and then right on the grill when I get home. They are tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    I think if its cold so that the meat cools quickly I don't think you will have any problem. I snare shoeshoes on the weekend and if they are still "warm" or kicking when I pull them out of the snare I save the meat. Believe it or not my girlfriend prefers rabbit to chicken. I skin them, and if then gut them and put them in a ziplock, in the sled they go. I have also started taken a ziplock bag with me with garlic and olive oil in it and putting the bunnies directly in the marinade and then right on the grill when I get home. They are tasty!
    What happens to the meat if the rabbit is frozen when you get to it?

Default frozen

After I skin it I gut it and usually boil it up for the dogs (helps out with the dog food bill). Im sure it could probably be eaten but it I don't know. I put my snares out Friday night after work and take them down Sunday evening so they aren't out there too long. Of course I check them Saturday after my "honey do list".

I prefer to skin them outdoors where I shoot them and leave the leftovers to feed the foxes and birds. I figure waste not want not, why let the guts rot in the landfill when they can be recycled.

do you sell the skins? If so, what average price do they bring up there in AK?

Default gutting

depend on shot placement.if u get them low u need to clean them right away. when i go out i usually won't clean them till i get home.not fun cleaning 4-10 rabbits outside in 0 degree weather. if it is a clean shot (diaphgram up) i have had them sit in the pack for 2-3 hours plus another 30-45min for the ride home. only have only lost one or two due to contamination. couple that my buddy gut shot they sat to long.that was a mistake i only made once. so all questionable kills usually get atleast gutted right there. Can be difficult in the winter to stop clean one then try and clean up. Put your gloves back on with out making a mess of yourself or freezing yourfingers in the process.if it is a warm summer day thats a diffrent story. In the winter u are usuallygoodfor a couple of hours. sooner is always better then later though. I really would not push it past 4 or 5 hours. thats just my 2 cents to each there own. how are the rabbits this year? Have been so busy with work and school have not managed to get out since early Dec.

Default price

Im not sure the skins have any value. I have never tried to sell any of them. I usually make fur lined mittens with them for friends and relatives for gifts. Ive also make liners for Mukluks a few times too.

Default cleaning rabbits

I gut all my rabbits in the field, a quick cut up the belly, through the ribcage and then grab windpipe ( with gloves on ) and pull downwards and most of the guts will come out, then put snow in the cavity to clean away extra blood and help cool it down and then shake out snow. If the rabbit freezes solid then it cannot be thawed and refrozen again but it can be thawed and cooked and then refrozen but if it doesn't freeze solid then it can be skinned later and then cooked or cut up and frozen for future use. as long as the meat is kept cool and or frozen it will not become tainted and if you leave the skin on it will keep the meat from drying out. If your snaring rabbits they will freeze rather quickly and there shouldn't be any tainting of the meat even if not gutted but once it's thawed and gutted you will have to cook it because you won't be able to refreeze till AFTER it is cooked. Rabbit fur isn't really worth anything except for crafts as the skin is thin and tears easy and the hair sheds, used mostly for stuff sold to tourists.