Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: freezing fish in anchorage

Default freezing fish in anchorage

Help.
    My buddies and I will be fishing in Homer for several days. We will have our fish processed, frozen and packed in Homer. We will then, return to Anchorage for 2 days of business meetings to justify this pricey trip to our wives and business associates.
    We don't know what to do with our packed and frozen fish for these two days.
    Are there rental freezer spaces in Anchorage where we can leave our ice chests?
    FedEx-ing the frozen fish home ahead of us is way too costly - - close to $500 a box/ice chest.
    Help please,
    Johnny A.

Check with your hotel. The hotels I have stayed in have always found room for my frozen goods. Of course if you have 7000 pounds of fillets you could be out of luck.

The airport in Anchorage rents by the day.

You might want to try ACE Air cargo. I sent 320 pounds of red fillets to Nebraska and Spokane and it only cost $500. Cheaper than paying the extra with the airline and you don't have to worry about layovers or airport personnel helping themselves to your catch. Just a suggestion. When are you coming up? I have a chest freezer that I use for nothing but fish in the summer. Let me know when you guys are heading up and if my freezer isn't already full, you are more than welcome to use mine.

Jeanette

Default Freezing fish

I have never had a problem with the Anchorage airport.

Doug

I never had aproblem with Anchorage airport either but 2 years ago, going through Phoenix on the way to Nebraska someone broke into cooler and took 1/2 my halibut. When we got to Nebraska, cooler was much lighter and they tried to re-tape to look like nothing happened. It was enough to make me go bi-polar at airport!!!!

Default The big chill...

Do your homework, many of the hotels will freeze for you at no charge. I always stay at the Best Western on Spenard. My fish are always taken care of at no charge.

The airport is costly. 10th and M Seafoods downtown may be cheaper.

Go to Anchorage's yellow pages and let your fingers walk your way through this one...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Also check with your airline here in Anchorage. Most of them do have freezers and will store your fish for a day or two before your flight.... there might be a small fee.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default 10th and M Seafoods

The last 2 years I paid 8 dollars per 48 quart for 24 hours to have them stored in their freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dban1 View Post
    The last 2 years I paid 8 dollars per 48 quart for 24 hours to have them stored in their freezer.
    Thanks for the info and referral. Sounds like the way to go. I'll give them a call. This is website is a great resource.

Default Could you just ice them?

I am in a similar situation except I would have to store my halibut for about a week before I head home. I was wondering if I could get them vacuum packed and flash frozen then keep them on fresh ice in a cooler in my RV for a week (in late May/early June). I think my RV will have a tiny freezer but doubt it can handle my catch if all goes as planned. Would keeping them on ice work or do I need to pay someone to store it? Any cheaper places in Homer that would store it? Thanks!

Actually 8 bucks a day isn't bad, maybe I'll just check into that.

Default RV Fish Storage

FYI...You might not be permitted to keep fish in your RV freezer. Great Alaskan Holidays RV insisted that fish not be stored in the freezer due to difficulty in removing odors. (We did it anyway with super careful wrapping.)

Default Halibut on ice...

Good question;makes sense, but may be kind of risky. There is still a portion of residual air in vacuum wrapped products, and air does generate spoilage.

I doubt if I would risk my halibut on ice for such a period, and therefore would seek out a freezer. I'm not the expert, but in thinking deductively, that's how I arrived with my opinion...

Do not keep the fish on ice for an extended period of time, and definately do not freeze the fish and then put them on ice. They will begin to thaw (and potentially start to spoil) before long. Plus, you don't want the fish frozen, then thawed, then re-frozen.

You'll be spending lots of money to catch the fish, and what you catch will be worth lots. Don't chance it. Freeze it as soon as you can and then take it out of the freezer for your ride home as late as you can.

After getting a good lead about a place called 10th and M Seafoods in downtown Anchorage, I called them to get more details. They charge $10 a day per 50lb box. They said they have lots of room, so no reservations are necessary. They have normal 9-6 business hours and you can drop off and pick up your boxes/ice chests during these hours only.
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for info. All I need now is the fish.

10 bucks for each 50# box comes out to 20 cents/lb per day can add up pretty fast... that's $1.40/lb per week.

Per pound, that's in the ball park of what most places charge to cut/vac-pac/flash freeze your fresh catch.

All that "free" fish sure starts to add up when you try to take it all home.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default On the edge of the ice...

Just goes to show you that nothing about the fish are free with the exception of the thrill, and that friends, is priceless...

Default On the edge of the ice...

Just goes to show you that nothing about the fish are free with the exception of the thrill, and that friends, is priceless...

Default Storing Frozen Fish

Thanks for the advise everyone. I have been emailing a lot of the fish processors on the Kenia Penn. and have discovered that many of them will store fish free for 3 days-2 wk if you pay them to pack and freeze it. I sure am glad I have time to do my homework now because the fees can sure add up fast if you're not paying attention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast