Thread: Wyo. hunter

Default Wyo. hunter

I used to prefer Remington rifles but have had two malfunctions from two different Rem rifles in critical hunting situations. I am reluctant to get another Rem. but I see alot of gun makers are promoting Rem. actions. Has anyone else had a problem with them?

What kind of problems?

I've been using the 700's since they first came out and the 720 and 721 before that. The 700's have been a mix of models including quite a few customs. I'm a lefty, and for a long, long time Remington was the only or best source of lefty actions.

The only trouble I have ever had followed application of an aftermarket finish. The dirty so-and-so company that did the work didn't bother to pull off the trigger group beforehand, and bits of finish kept migrating around in there and jamming the sear down. I dumped the trigger for a replacement and never had another problem.

The feeding "problems" I've heard of with the 700 action have often been traceable back to the short stroke of a followup shot by an excited shooter.

In over 30yrs hunting, reloading and shooting while owning in that time over 30 rifles I can remember I have had trouble with one of each of these manufactures in some way. Winchester, Sako, Savage, Remington and Weatherby. I still would buy any of these products again. All manufactures have trouble from time to time. Now the least trouble came from Remington and Weatherby rifles I have owned. All of my problems were fixed and they never happened again. You never stated your problem. What was it and what were the critical moments and what did Remington do about them?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Bolt handle

I was deer hunting with my uncle up George Inlet in 98. I watched him pull the bolt handle off his 700 while chambering a round. What a surprise. The solder or brazed connection failed. A friend of mine from Thorne Bay claims to have had the same thing happen. I hear the remedy for this is to have a smith drill, tap and use screws to fasten the handle on.

Coaldust

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    I was deer hunting with my uncle up George Inlet in 98. I watched him pull the bolt handle off his 700 while chambering a round. What a surprise. The solder or brazed connection failed. A friend of mine from Thorne Bay claims to have had the same thing happen. I hear the remedy for this is to have a smith drill, tap and use screws to fasten the handle on.

Coaldust

Yea, there was a run of Remington,s over a few years that this happened to on occasion but from what I understand with change in quality control this issue has been taken care of. A lot of fine shooting custom rifles have been built through the years off 700's. I would suspect that when you look at the number of 700's that have been sold though out the years as apposed to other brands, the percentage of issues is less than most other manufactures.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Yea, there was a run of Remington,s over a few years that this happened to on occasion but from what I understand with change in quality control this issue has been taken care of. A lot of fine shooting custom rifles have been built through the years off 700's. I would suspect that when you look at the number of 700's that have been sold though out the years as apposed to other brands, the percentage of issues is less than most other manufactures.
    I would agree with beartooth's assessment. I come from a family of Remington shooter's bolt pump and auto and they are all great shooters and extremely dependable imo. Until my most recent purchases the only rifle I owned and used has been a Remington Model 700 BDL in .270 Winchestr and it has been a most dependable companion and never let me down when I do my part.

I bought a Rem. 870 shotgun one time for turkey hunting(gun was suppose to be for turkey hunting) and it would not pattern with any loads. I had the gun for about a month when I found this out so I called Remington. Remington would not do anything about it or offer to repair it under warranty. They would sell me another barrel for it though but not do anything under warranty for it. So I will never buy another Remington as long as I live no matter how good they are suppose to be.

Just my dealings with Remington.