Thread: Bears in PWS

Default Bears in PWS

Does anyone have a timeframe of when the blacks are out and about in 6D. Trying to plan a trip to take advantage of both grizz and black and would appreciate any help on the blackie timeframe. Thanks in advance

We have always gone mid-may and have seen lots of bears. I have heard of guys going from real early may to June and seeing lots of bears. I think once may hits, it doesn't really matter. Assuming it has been a warm spring and still not snowing!

Default I depends on the snow.

It depends on the snow and temperatures on when they come down. Last two years it seems they have been two weeks latter than normal. I had two stands last year that were not hit until the last week of baiting in June. "Usually" the second to third weeks are good on the baits.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've hunted over there a number of times out of Whittier. Dave has it right, assuming "normal" spring, the last two weeks of May are better. South facing slopes and beaches are the best to glass.

If he wants to hunt both, Brown bear season ends on the 25th of May
    for 6D. Last year I killed my Blackie on the 22nd and my Brownie on the 24th of May. Can't wait to get back out there, have a Cabin rented for a week from the 27th of May to 2 June. Good Luck and be safe.

Steve

It all depends on the snowfall they have along with the weather at that time. Usally starting mid may things heats up as in seeing bears. I usally go near the end of month.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK